Men?s Basketball Coaching Staff Changes Announced

ORUTerry

The position has a coaching element to it, but it is mostly administrative, if I'm not mistaken.  In other words, a lot of coaching experience isn't required to be Director of Operations.  While ORU probably at least in part hired Conley Clarke to improve their position with Rotnei, keep in mind that the Clarke family are long time friends of the Phipps as well as the Richard Roberts families. 

Personally, I don't see this as a done deal by any means.  As I said in a post earlier today, we'll still just have to wait and see.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• vcboy2000

• orumom

Top Posters In This Topic

ORU gives Clarke the title that Upshaw had...to do what?

Believe me, Upshaw never had down time in the position. The big difference between Upshaw's new title & the old title is the ability to actually coach the players.  The position that Rotnei's dad applied for and was hired for is an administrative position, for which he really doesn't need a coaching background.  He handles the day to day operations. On the road trips he assigns housing, makes arrangements for meals and manages perdium.

Yes, Conley Clarke is fortunate to have been hired. It is difficult to break into the D1 ranks in any position. Many coaches aren't paid their first few years of coaching, they are willing to work for free, just to get the break. This job won't make him rich, it just gives him an opportunity to grow & develop on the D1 level.

(TMH, I see we were posting almost the exact same thing at the same time  :-) )

I was gone all day at a conference and just now getting to comment about the Rotnei Clarke situation. It is obvious that there is more going on here than what we are aware of. The Phipps and Clarkes are evidently close - as is Richard Roberts... for whatever that is worth.  Hiring Rotnei's dad gives ORU an 'angle' - but does not cinch him as a recruit. I wouldn't put too much into Rotnei Clarke's quotes in the Tulsa World this morning though - It would have looked pretty bad if he'd come out and said he was going to ORU on the same day his dad joins the ORU staff. I think that could have gotten us (and him) in a lot of trouble.

The article in the paper could go either way, against us or for us getting Rotnei. 

And if what we hope is true (Rotnei becoming a Golden Eagle), it is also important that Rotnei not openly express his decision/desire to come to ORU at this point in time. This way the big schools will continue to pay attention to him and offer him scholarships, which would increase his 'buzz'.

Im still hopeful.

It seems like if Conley Clarke wants to get into the college coaching ranks now would be the time to do it, no amount of years as an assistant high school coach or a decent amount of years as a head coach would probably give him enough on his resume to get a coaching look at the D1 level. 

Talk about a tough decision to make (Rotnei and where he will go to college).  On the interview with Conley, Geoff H. asked if he knew how many letters Rotnei had gotten from colleges.

OVER 1250

Have fun narrowing That down.