• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• vcboy2000

• orumom

Top Posters In This Topic

OK .... I just read the Tulsa World article.  So, here's my take on this:

Rotnei says he will go where God wants him to be.  And every ORU affiliated person is PRAYing that God will tell Rotnei to come to ORU.  And of course, we believe that God answers prayer.  Boy!  Does that put God in a tough spot!    :-D

Did anybody get to hear Conley Clarke interviewed on GP's show on 1550?  I always seem to have to work at the most inoportune times!  Hopefully someone can share what he had to say - or better yet, maybe Geoff can provide us with an audio file, like he did with the Scott Sutton interview a couple of weeks ago.  How about it, Geoff???

Ain't the internet grand? :-D :-D :-D

An interesting question (at least for fans in the area) was just posed by Bill Huddleston on GP's show - with Conley Clarke working now at ORU, will they move into the Tulsa Metro area and will Rotnei end up finishing his high school career at a 6A School?  That's an interesting thought to ponder.  Where would he end up?  Union, most likely, would be my guess.

That's an interesting question, but I would think that he wouldn't want to transfer schools his senior year. The commute from Verdagris is really not that bad (20 minutes). I'm sure Conely's brother, Rontnei's head coach, would appreciate having his star player back next year.

Since Rotnei's dad would be an ORU employee, qualifying for tuition benefits for his children, IF Rotnei chose ORU, would it leave another scholarship available?

He would still have to pay room and board.  But if he has good grades and test scores, he could qualify for an academic scholarship to cover that.

I believe that Conley is Rotnei's dad, not his uncle.  I think that he was an assistant at Verdigris.  His uncle is the head coach at Verdigris.  His name is Kelly Clarke.

I got that mixed up originally.  If we were making a hire to get Rotnei, then we should have hired is uncle to the assistant coach's position.  I think ORU made the hire because it makes sense, not as a ploy to get Rotnei.

The reason Upshaw has not been promoted is because they still need a recruiter in that spot. That will be done in about a week.

Since Rotnei's dad would be an ORU employee, qualifying for tuition benefits for his children, IF Rotnei chose ORU, would it leave another scholarship available?

That's exactly what I was thinking....I just saw this after I already posted a topic. 

The reason Upshaw has not been promoted is because they still need a recruiter in that spot. That will be done in about a week.

I don't think our coaches would ask them to utilize tuition benefits. I think they would offer him a scholarship to show how appreciative they are for his committment.

A couple of tu fans on their board are actually pulling the "ethical" and "christian" card saying that we should be ashamed of ourselves. gold*, of all people, is actually defending Scott's decision. :-o  Link:

I hope Rotnei does what he says, and follows wherever God leads him. This is a big decision for any person, let alone a 17 or 18 year old high school kid. My prayers are with him that he would hear and follow that "still small voice".  If it is for him to go to ORU, TU, KU or wherever, there is no greater place like being where God has called you to be. Sometimes other people don't understand it, but the peace you have inwardly is worth more than the satisfaction of others around you. There are so many kids at ORU that could have stayed in their home state and gone to school for free or attended other great institutions of higher learning, but felt that God was calling them to be at ORU and that is why they are here. I was one of those students, and feel fortunate to have had an amazing college experience that I feel for the most part was due to my obedience to God's direction. Rotnei will do the same.   

Coach Clarke (as I will be refering to him from now on) has said repeatedly that he contacted ORU first about an opening.

That must have been an interesting phone call!

Coach Clarke is no dummy.  Does he really think he'll have any better opportunity to move up the coaching ladder AFTER Rotnei has signed?  Now was the time for just such a phone call.

Coach Sutton's no dummy, either.  What's he going to say when the father of one of our most highly-sought recruits in decades calls out of the blue and says he wants to come work for ORU:  "No"??

I wonder if Rotnei's name even came up in the conversation - each side dancing around it like a landmine.

I know this much - a great, big invisible clock just got hung up on the wall of the basketball offices at Mabee Center, ticking down to signing day in November.

When it finally hits "0:00", will it be like we're in Times Square on New Year's Eve, or will we be riding in Cinderella's pumpkin carriage?

Any way we can install a "Rotnei Clarke Countdown Clock" of our own here on the message board?

Any way we can install a "Rotnei Clarke Countdown Clock" of our own here on the message board?

Click here to create your own html-ready countdown that can be added to any page. It would be great if the Mods could add it to the top of the basketball board.

A couple of tu fans on their board are actually pulling the "ethical" and "christian" card saying that we should be ashamed of ourselves. gold*, of all people, is actually defending Scott's decision. :-o  Link:

I hope Rotnei does what he says, and follows wherever God leads him. This is a big decision for any person, let alone a 17 or 18 year old high school kid. My prayers are with him that he would hear and follow that "still small voice".  If it is for him to go to ORU, TU, KU or wherever, there is no greater place like being where God has called you to be. Sometimes other people don't understand it, but the peace you have inwardly is worth more than the satisfaction of others around you. There are so many kids at ORU that could have stayed in their home state and gone to school for free or attended other great institutions of higher learning, but felt that God was calling them to be at ORU and that is why they are here. I was one of those students, and feel fortunate to have had an amazing college experience that I feel for the most part was due to my obedience to God's direction. Rotnei will do the same.   

Never accuse me of not being honest -- maybe biased.

As for the scholarship, I think there is a rule that you can't get an academic scholarship to a school if you are an athlete.  I might have the wording and actual way it works confused, but I'm pretty sure that's how the rule works by effect.  Then you would have several extra players qualifying for academic scholarships at Duke.  "Who knew that Sheldon Williams was such an excellent writer (in the opinion of our faculty)?"

TU has had several players come through who were either the child of a coach or professor (Adrian Crawford, Jeff Platt, Jason Parker) or somehow otherwise qualified for an academic scholarship from another deal (Jesse Stoneham on the football team had a full ride from TU for academics that was part of some deal TU made with his school, IIRC).  I guess it works on a case by case basis as to whether you get a tuition credit or athletic scholarship.  Parker and Crawford were on scholarship but Platt wasn't.

Scholarships of the academic variety only come in the form of tuition. They don't pay for room and board. You have to have an athletic scholarship or some type of grant to get room and board covered. I knew a baseball player who had part athletic scholarship and part academic. But if Rotnei came, they'd definitely have to use an athletic scholarship for him unless he qualifies for a need based grant to cover everything else, which doesn't appear to be the case.

Blah, blah, blah, scholarships.  Back to the point:

Let me see if i understand the situation.

R.Clarke's uncle coaches him at Verdigris.

R.Clarke's dad is not a coach.

ORU hires, not the uncle who is a proven coach.

ORU hires, his dad, who is not a coach, to coach.

ORU releases a statement about Clarke without mentioning his role or credentials to coach.

ORU creates a new title for Upshaw so he can do "more things"

ORU gives Clarke the title that Upshaw had...to do what?

Why do you still doubt!!!!

There is no other way this can play out.  There is no other reason to hire this guy other than to get his son to oru.  OR am i missing something.