Men?s Basketball Coaching Staff Changes Announced

ORUTerry

This could be a done deal (for Rotnei coming to ORU, I mean).

Or, it could just be a big gamble by our coaching staff.

Or, it could be a power play by Rotnei's dad.

Or, something in between.

Seems like a power play by Rotnei's dad to me.  Rotnei can still sign wherever he wants and his dad just got a huge raise from ORU.  Hopefully Rotnei does sign with us but why would he choose us over Kansas or another Big 12 school.  I think Rotnei's dad used a little leverage to land a nice job at ORU for the future.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ORUTerry

• tmh8286

• vcboy2000

• orumom

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows what will happen.... from all reports the Clarke family is very close to the Phipps family. I have also heard that Rotnei is a very strong Christian.

Seems like a power play by Rotnei's dad to me.  Rotnei can still sign wherever he wants and his dad just got a huge raise from ORU.  Hopefully Rotnei does sign with us but why would he choose us over Kansas or another Big 12 school.  I think Rotnei's dad used a little leverage to land a nice job at ORU for the future.

Didn't take long for motives and intents to be challenged or questioned - did it? Not saying that Rotnei will definitely end up at ORU, but I find it hard to believe a seemingly close family like the Clarkes would conduct 'power plays' against each other. Maybe I am naive. We also need to remember that Conley Phipps and Conley Clarke go back a long time.

When I read this thread I said a cuss word out loud.

Scary, I know.

By no means indicative of what Rotnei is going to do but sure makes for some fun speculation and buzz.

I see several of you watching the TU board. I'm surprised they haven't said anything yet....or that Eagle Backer or Voice haven't posted over there.  No matter how this plays out we know they will be negative.

Oh my freakin goodness!!!!!!!!! :-o

:-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEE!!!!!!!

May be some very tasty icing on the sweet cake of Scott staying and the other recruits coming this next year or may be nothing at all and just a very interesting coincidence.  Whichever it is;

to quote Lloyd in "Dumb & Dumber"......I LIKE IT ALOT!!!!!

This is such a gutsy move by Coach Sutton.  I was not really that emotionally involved with Clarke's recruitment because I thought there was no way we would ever get him. These recent developments have got me and a lot of other coaches that are recruiting him pretty nervous.

We should start a recruitment campaign called, "Keepin It In the Family", or "Family Ties", or "Blood is thicker than hurrica..er i mean water"  :-D

How weird would that be to coach against your son. I think we pretty much sabotaged TU's chances of landing him. Either we get him, or no school in NW Oklahoma does! :evil:

We should start a recruitment campaign called, "Keepin It In the Family", or "Family Ties", or "Blood is thicker than hurrica..er i mean water"  :-D

Well...if we landed him...i wouldnt mind rubbing it in TU's face but it's not the hurricane we're recruiting against. It's Bill Self and the Jayhawks. 99 times out of 100 I don't like our chances in that scenario but with this addition...I think we have a chance to be that 1 out of 100...a chance.

I see several of you watching the TU board. I'm surprised they haven't said anything yet....or that Eagle Backer or Voice haven't posted over there.  No matter how this plays out we know they will be negative.

Actually it's there...just hidden.

Code word: delete

Actually it's there...just hidden.

Code word: delete

Code phrase ----choose one---

(1) Expect A Miracle

(2) Something Good Is Going To Happen To You

(3) God Is A Good God

The quotes from Conley and Rotnei Clarke in this morning's Tulsa World are certainly less than encouraging regarding Rotnei coming to ORU.  It sounds like he's still leaning toward TU - or somewhere else.

Sure hope this ends well for everyone involved... :|

ORU Hires Dad of Verdigris Star

Boy, after reading that article it makes me feel like our chances of landing Rotnei are actually less with his dad on staff.  One of my first thoughts yesterday when I read that Conley Clarke was coming to work for ORU was about my own son, who is graduating from high school this year.  What he desires at this point in his life is independence.  If Rotnei is anything like my son, having his dad on staff wouldn't necessarily be a positive. 

In reality, for we fans, nothing has changed - we still will just have to wait and see what happens. 

Gotta love the World's TU slant coming through in an article that has very little to do with them.  They're as on the outside looking in with Rotnei as we are.  The World is so biased against us its ridiculous, and obvious.

Gotta love the World's TU slant coming through in an article that has very little to do with them.  They're as on the outside looking in with Rotnei as we are.  The World is so biased against us its ridiculous, and obvious.

This article was written by Mike Brown, a very good friend of ORU's athletic department. If there is a TU slant, it's because of their current position in Rotnei's recruitment process. It has nothing to do with an anti-ORU propaganda. I'm not denying the existence of anti-ORU propaganda, i just don't think that is the case in this article.

My take on the situation is that Rotnei is (was) leaning hard towards TU, but all of these recent offers from the BCS schools are diverting his attention. I think Coach Sutton did a great thing by hiring his dad. We've got a new DOP that knows high school basketball in this area, and it's a last ditch effort to land one of the best prep players that Oklahoma has produced in a while. If Rotnei signs elsewhere we still have a great hire. More staff is a good thing.

Anyone have a take on why Upshaw hasn't been promoted to an assistant coach?

How do we know he is leaning towards TU?

Mike Brown could have asked "What about TU guys???" for all we know.

I still think Rotnei is going to a bigger school... (e.g. Kansas/Duke).