Future Summit League Tourney sites

89rabbit

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 30333/1002

City submits Summit proposal

Plan addresses locker room needs

By Terry Vandrovec

tvandrovec@argusleader.com

Published: June 13, 2007

Sioux Falls beat the clock, but it remains to be seen if its final attempt will find the mark.

Plans to address inadequacies inside the Arena were submitted to the Summit League office Monday, meaning Sioux Falls' proposal to host the men's and women's basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010 will be presented at the league's joint council meeting that begins today in Chicago.

The other finalist is Tulsa, Okla., which will host for the fourth year in a row in 2008 at the 4-year-old, $22 million Union Multipurpose Activity Center.

Earlier this month, six Summit League officials toured Sioux Falls and its Arena, built in 1961, and confirmed four major shortcomings: the quality and quantity of locker rooms for officials and players and the lack of a media room and a training room.

Since the site visit, the parties involved in Sioux Falls' bid - the Sioux Falls Sports Authority, the Convention and Visitors Bureau and South Dakota State - have worked with the league and an architect on options for upgrading, reconfiguring or remodeling within the building's existing space to meet the needs of the 16-team NCAA Division I tournament.  .  .  .  (read more)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89rabbit

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• NYC Golden Eagle

My guess is that the tournament will be held in South Dakota and that the announcement will be made any day. Leaving it in Tulsa and not moving it around would probably leave a bad taste with the other conference schools. It looks like SDSU has put together a nice package and appears to have decent community support.... they even had the Governor there!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... S/70626039

Summit League likely to announce Sioux Falls will host basketball tourneys in 2009

Press conference called for Wednesday morning

By By Terry Vandrovec

Published: June 26, 2007

The Summit League has scheduled a news conference for 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Convention and Visitors Bureau, likely to announce that Sioux Falls has been selected to host its men?s and women?s basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010.

Convention and Visitors Bureau executive director Teri Ellis-Schmidt confirmed that the news conference would take place, but did not indicate the nature of the news.

However, officials from the Tulsa Sports Commission, the other finalist, indicated that they were not scheduled to hold a news conference, although they would not confirm the selection of Sioux Falls.  .  .  .  (read more)

600 miles from Tulsa...9 hour drive (per MapQuest)...I have my calendar marked for Sioux Falls, SD for March 7, 2009!!  (Let's hope it isn't snowing!! B-R-R-R-R!!)

Congratulations, Rabbit. It is probably for the best so too much apathy doesn't set in for the TSC. Put on a good show for us. Do they have a Goldies up there?  :wink:

Yippee!

Is it safe to assume your exuberance stems from three-going-on-four-years of not only serving as ORU's media relations director during the tournament, but ALSO running the press room, dealing with all the media requests, marshaling the interview room, policing press row, etc. at the UMAC?

Jeez, what ARE you going to do in Sioux Falls with so much time on your hands? :wink:

You guys are killing me. I go to the Tournament in Tulsa for the first year, and bang you let it go!  that was the best fun I had all year.  SoDak is going to be a stretch.  Bring it back to Tulsa ... NOW.  :-D

It will be interesting to see how many South Dakotans come to Tulsa in March to learn how to run the many facets of a Tournament.  Not that Tulsa runs the best tournament, but it's the the only Conference that Sioux Fallians will have an opportunity to work with from the inside.  Hopefully the folks in Sioux Falls will be able to take it to a higher level.

Guest Blevins

Is it safe to assume your exuberance stems from three-going-on-four-years of not only serving as ORU's media relations director during the tournament, but ALSO running the press room, dealing with all the media requests, marshaling the interview room, policing press row, etc. at the UMAC?

Jeez, what ARE you going to do in Sioux Falls with so much time on your hands? :wink:

Freeze.

Do South Dokotans bring a translator with them or do we have somebody fluent at ORU that can provide those services, ya know?

It is offical! 

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... LID=944750

Sioux Falls to Host 2009-2010 Summit League Basketball Championships

ELMHURST, Ill. - The Summit League will head to Sioux Falls, S.D., and the Sioux Falls Arena for its men?s and women?s basketball

championships in 2009 and 2010 Commissioner Tom Douple announced Wednesday.

?We are very excited about having our basketball tournament in Sioux Falls,? Douple said. ?It will be great for the city and the

region, and we anticipate tremendous support from the community. We are especially looking forward to bringing March Madness

to the state of South Dakota.?

The Summit League Presidents Council voted Monday to move the league?s top event to the largest city in South Dakota. ?We

look forward to having the tournament in Sioux Falls,? said Dr. Al Goldfarb, president of Western Illinois University and chair of

the Presidents Council. ?It will provide a very positive experience for our student-athletes.?  .  .  .  (read more)

Do South Dokotans bring a translator with them or do we have somebody fluent at ORU that can provide those services, ya know?

Ya, you betcha.  I have lived in Kansas since 1991 so I can speak both Dakotan and Okie.  :wink::lol:

well its been a nice run. a stunner, and 2 dances. hopefully next year will continue the trend youll be there sterns78 right? ill just go back to going to homecoming games 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm there, big guy. That tournament was too much fun. I've got a mini-video on my PC of the students streaming down on the court. It just goes and goes. If someone could tell me how to post a .mpg here, I'd do it.

Go to reply message, at the bottom it says Additional Options, next to post preview & spell check,.... go to browse then go to the folder you have it saved in and click the file, then post

• 3 weeks later...

Some time back a number of us had been left with the impression that having the 2009-10 tournaments at the Palace of Auburn Hills was all but a done deal, so we were a little surprised when it wasn't even in the list of finalists.  This post from the Oakland message board is almost a month old, so it's not new news, but for those that hadn't seen it, it answers the question about the Palace.  An Oakland fan emailed Kampe and asked him why they hadn't gotten it, and here's his reply:

"Good question. The palace had to withdraw their bid because they were awarded Disney on Ice the same weekend that our tournament is. Because that is the highest grossing show they have they made a business decision. I believe we would have won the bid but we ended up screwed by Mickey Mouse!!!!!!!! As far as the schedule?there have been a few changes that I?m trying to finalize. We have better then a 50/50 chance of hosting in the Orena a preseason top 10 team. Working hard on that. Should all be done by end of July."