89rabbit

Thought you guys might be interested in this story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 002/SPORTS

Sioux Falls eyes Mid-Con tournaments

Sports Authority considers 2-year bid for basketball finals

By Terry Vandrovec

tvandrovec@argusleader.com

Published: April 12, 2007

Even before it has any employees, the Sioux Falls Sports Authority is making a play to host its first major event - the Mid-Continent Conference men's and women's basketball tournament.

Chairman Kevin Lampe said the 14-member volunteer committee is working with the Arena and its winter tenants - the Skyforce and Stampede - to analyze building availability along with the city.

If the Mid-Con's targeted dates - March 7-9, 2009, and March 6-9, 2010 - can work for the Arena, the Sioux Falls Sports Authority will proceed with the bidding process. Bids are due May 10.

According to Mid-Con commissioner Tom Douple, Fargo, the Palace of Auburn Hills, Mich., and Tulsa, Okla.- which will host the event for the fourth year in a row in 2007-08 - have expressed interest in the two-year contract.

Douple said that one or two more cities - and Fort Wayne, Ind., Kansas City, Mo., and Moline, Ill, have hosted the dual tournament before - may yet enter the fray.  .  .  . (read more)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89rabbit

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• NYC Golden Eagle

Who wants to go to Michigan or the Dakotas in February?

Who wants to go to Michigan or the Dakotas in February?

That seems kinda odd coming from a guy who lives in upstate New York.

I don't care where they play it, as long as the arena is nice and there are enough good hotels and restaurants.  Give me a clean room, good cable TV, and a place to get a great steak, and I'm there...

Well actually I live in the New York City area so it?s not nearly as bad as upstate New York.

But even if I was from up state New York I still wouldn't want to travel to  someplace colder in February.

I imagine that the Mid-Con will look hard at moving the tournament away from Tulsa to give other venues a chance. I am intrigued by the Dakota bid because I think they will have good community & school support. Just wish it wasn't in early March when it would be so cold.

I suspect that Oakland will put together the best bid. Just wonder if they can organize the event with enough volunteers and support? Doubt Kansas City could put together a bid that would work - they might not even have a coach in place by the time the bids are due.

hey, im from upstate new york what do mean by "BAD"

I have nothing against upstate New York I was simply saying that it's colder than New York City.

haha my girlfriend is from long island... she refers to upstate ny as not really part of NY... its just there.

Upstate New York is beautiful, but it's not much like New York City.

Does your girlfriend like Edison Glass ?

they were friends of mine at ORU, now they?re singed with credential records.

tell your girlfriend to go to the adirondacks sometime. nyc, i know what you meant. i live in the albany area not the snow belt of syracuse rochester and buffalo what year did you graduate from oru?

Hey guys, check out the cool personal message feature on this site.  Pretty neat, huh?  Use that.  :-o

There are plenty of good venues down here near Houston as well, and I would volunteer to help watch all the games live and make sure they are good, quality, competitive games!  We could all it the Oral Roberts Invitational... :-D

Actually, I am right around the corner from Kingwood...may try to shake loose next week and catch a game featuring some potential signees...

Hey Grip ... have you ever been down to Victoria?  I know it's no Houston, but it does get really hot down here in the summertime.  :lol:

I sure wish ORU baseball would have played TCU on a more convenient weekend this year or ORU basketball would play UTA/UNT/TCU/SMU next season...it'd be great to get the Texas alum together and have some of the Tulsa and OKC people make the trip as well. It's gotta be tough for those posters north of the red river...they're just that close to heaven and some don't even know it.  :-D

Actually, I am right around the corner from Kingwood...may try to shake loose next week and catch a game featuring some potential signees...

Wish I could join you!!!

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... S/70510044

Sioux Falls makes bid for Mid-Continent basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010

By Terry Vandrovec

Published: May 10, 2007

Whether called the Mid-Continent Conference or the Summit League, Sioux Falls is in the running to host its men?s and women?s basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010.  .  .  .  (read more)

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 002/SPORTS

City bids to host Mid-Con tourneys

Basketball events would be in '09-10

By Terry Vandrovec

Published: May 11, 2007

Whether called the Mid-Continent Conference or the Summit League, Sioux Falls is in the running to host its men's and women's basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010.

Sioux Falls Sports Authority chairman Kevin Lampe said that his group submitted a bid for the two-year contract on Wednesday - one day before the deadline - to the Chicago-based NCAA Division I conference that is reportedly changing its name next week and definitely bringing South Dakota State into the fold on July 1.

Although he declined to disclose specific dollar amounts, Lampe, a vice president at Sanford Health, believes that the bid is competitive based on previous tournaments.

The 2008 event will be held in Tulsa, Okla., for the fourth consecutive year.

"We think we're in good shape, but you just really don't know until the conference gets a chance to look at all the bids they might have and start their process," said Lampe, whose first-year organization worked with the Arena, SDSU, mayor Dave Munson, the Skyforce and the Sioux Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau on the bid.

"We believe if we can get them here to Sioux Falls to look at us that they'll believe what we believe and that it'd be an outstanding tournament."  .  .  .  (read more)