Bracketology 2024

Old Titan

Time to start thinking about where ORU might be playing in a couple of weeks if the Golden Eagles make the Summit League tourney...and win it!

• Rare situation this year in that Arkansas, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma may ALL be hosting regionals, due to the second year in a row that the Texas schools are uncharacteristically weak (at least in terms of Top-16 hosts).
  • No doubt that ORU (or whoever wins the Summit League) will be a No. 4 Seed in their respective 4-team regional. 
  • Can't imagine the committee sending the Golden Eagles back to Stillwater again.
  • My personal guess for ORU is Fayetteville, where the Hogs have been in and out of the top three spots nationally all season.  They are loaded.
  • An OU regional in Norman (or Oklahoma City, since the minor league Bricktown Ballpark is apparently available as well) would be a cool change of pace.  It's been 24 years since the Golden Eagles played in a regional hosted by the Sooners in Oklahoma City.  ORU's most recent regional visit to Norman was in 2010.

This particular bracketology site has NDSU as a No. 4 in Lexington, since the Bison are currently the top-ranked eligible Summit League team.

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

This particular bracketology site has NDSU as a No. 4 in Lexington, since the Bison are currently the top-ranked eligible Summit League team.

And the “Bizon” were placed in Lexington because Kentucky is projected as the #1 seed in the country, meaning the Summit champ would be the #64 seed.  If ORU wins the tourney, I doubt that the committee would place the Eagles as the #64 seed, even with a losing record.  But, I do think that this increases the prospect of ORU playing in a Fayetteville regional, against a Top 5 Arkansas team. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

And the “Bizon” were placed in Lexington because Kentucky is projected as the #1 seed in the country, meaning the Summit champ would be the #64 seed.  If ORU wins the tourney, I doubt that the committee would place the Eagles as the #64 seed, even with a losing record.  But, I do think that this increases the prospect of ORU playing in a Fayetteville regional, against a Top 5 Arkansas team. 

My thoughts exactly.  If we win the SL tourney I will be shocked if we don't end up in Fayetteville.  

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

D1baseball.com has ORU in the Texas A&M regional with TA&M as a #4 national seed (Arkansas is #3).

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/2024-d1baseball-field-of-64-projections-may-15/

Here's a Twitter link to that entire bracket projection from D1Baseball.com.  That College Station regional would be a REALLY tough one for ORU, from top to bottom.  Would much rather swap with No. 4 Little Rock in the Norman Regional with No. 1 Oklahoma, No. 2 Nebraska of the Big 10, and No.3 Northeastern from one of those They-Play-Just-30-Games-Total leagues.

This series vs. St. Thomas will tell us a lot about our team....if ORU can't win a series against the Tommies then not sure I want to see us playing vs. Arkansas, Oklahoma or Texas A&M in the post season...wouldn't be pretty....OU already run ruled us early in the season but Good Guys do seem to be playing better in May.....need to beat St. Thomas 2 of 3 to get some confidence.....at least for me anyway.......:tb-blue:

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

This series vs. St. Thomas will tell us a lot about our team....if ORU can't win a series against the Tommies then not sure I want to see us playing vs. Arkansas, Oklahoma or Texas A&M in the post season...wouldn't be pretty....OU already run ruled us early in the season but Good Guys do seem to be playing better in May.....need to beat St. Thomas 2 of 3 to get some confidence.....at least for me anyway.......:tb-blue:

I couldn't care less whether this team is "two and BBQ" or not in an NCAA Regional.

For where this team was a month ago, just making the Summit League tournament and winning it would be the pinnacle.  The regional berth would simply be a great reward.

• Upvote 3

TheEagleman agrees with that.....ORU seems to have turned it around in May when then heat was on.....the home sweep vs. St. Thomas was a real low point so hopefully the Good Guys are on a mission to get some pay back this weekend.....can't go 0-6 or 1-5 vs. a team just two years out of D-III.......:tb-white:

You have to admire a team AND coaching staff that can pull themselves up out of the mire and finish the season strong. Adversity is a test and it looks like this year's Eagles have decided to finish the season with integrity. I hope these 3 upcoming games is an example of that. Let's finish strong Eagles.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Selfishly hoping we making it to Lexington or Knoxville! 

• Upvote 1

Bracketeer.org adjusted their field of 64 after yesterday’s results and moved ORU into their tournament projections.  They forecast a matchup with Texas A&M in College Station, with familiar foes TCU and DBU rounding out the field.  Tough regional, but (as others have said) just making it into the 64 team field would be quite the accomplishment.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Bracketeer.org adjusted their field of 64 after yesterday’s results and moved ORU into their tournament projections.  They forecast a matchup with Texas A&M in College Station, with familiar foes TCU and DBU rounding out the field.  Tough regional, but (as others have said) just making it into the 64 team field would be quite the accomplishment.  

Yes, after a truly remarkable year (in the negative sense). While showing an amazing turnabout by the boys in blue, it also demonstrates pretty lackluster competition top to bottom in the Summit League. 

2 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Yes, after a truly remarkable year (in the negative sense). While showing an amazing turnabout by the boys in blue, it also demonstrates pretty lackluster competition top to bottom in the Summit League. 

Oh, I don't know - I was really impressed with St. Thomas this season. 

They beat ORU 5-out-of-6, and they have a history as a winning program at the D3 level.

I have a feeling they will be ORU's main competition in league play for the forseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Oh, I don't know - I was really impressed with St. Thomas this season. 

They beat ORU 5-out-of-6, and they have a history as a winning program at the D3 level.

I have a feeling they will be ORU's main competition in league play for the forseeable future.

I agree; and apologies for going a little cross topic here, but my concern is the Tommie's become a target for other conferences like the MVC or Horizon. The Valley isn't what it once was but it's still getting multiple mbb bids to the big dance and the Horizon is a great geographical fit and going to Michigan and Wisconsin has to be better than the Dakotas! I'm sure there are a few conferences (which have to be better run than the Summit, with things like real broadcasting rights deals)) that would like to add a member in Minneapolis.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

I agree; and apologies for going a little cross topic here, but my concern is the Tommie's become a target for other conferences like the MVC or Horizon. The Valley isn't what it once was but it's still getting multiple mbb bids to the big dance and the Horizon is a great geographical fit and going to Michigan and Wisconsin has to be better than the Dakotas! I'm sure there are a few conferences (which have to be better run than the Summit, with things like real broadcasting rights deals)) that would like to add a member in Minneapolis.   

Not before they improve their facilities.

While they may have plans on the drawing board for several sports, they are years away from completion.

Back to the topic at hand:  Arkansas is a quick "2-and-BBQ" in the SEC tournament this morning, where all four top seeds lost in their opening round games and are respectively scrambling for their regional-hosting lives.

Not too worried about the Piggies in that regard; they will host at least a Regional and, if they win, a Super Regional as well as a Top 8 Seed nationally. 

Still thinking the committee will send ORU to Fayetteville when it's all said and done...

• Upvote 2

Somebody at Baseball America has a sick sense of humor:  their latest regional projection is "The Payback Tour" for ORU's 2023 postseason opponents:

1. Oklahoma State
  2. Dallas Baptist
  3. Oregon
  4. ORU

• Haha 5

247Sports.com has the Golden Eagles in College Station, TX with the No. 3 Texas A&M Aggies and yet another Golden Eagle postseason nemesis over the years, the TCU Horned Frogs.

Theoretically, this bracket puts ORU as the 3rd-weakest team in the field of 64.  Does anyone really buy that?

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 10.26.19 AM.png

We have a losing record right now so I would expect to be one of the lowest 4-seeds.

• Upvote 1