* * Conference Tourneys Thread * *

Old Titan

Liberty has a larger enrollment than ORU and so probably has a little more $ around even if their athletic budget isn't very big.

Plus, why not prove you're a good head coach for a couple years and then have a stronger resume for consideration if the ORU head coach job comes open down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to lose any of our coaching staff, but there are definitely reasons for moving from an assistant job to a head coach job, and I think most assistants would take the head coach job.  Liberty made the NCAA a few years ago if I remember correctly.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORU Eli

• Stl VU Fan

I wonder how the Liberty facilities and budget compare to ORU's?

Liberty's Budget info from Mid-Majority:

Athletic Expenses (2006) $12,567,388

Rank 154 of 331

Men's Basketball Expenses (2006) $1,402,294 (11% of total)

Rank 145 of 331

Men's Sports Recruiting Exp. (2006)* $251,683

Rank 109 of 331

Cost per Win (2005-06 Season) $233,715.67 (13 wins)

Rank (less cost=better) chart 297 of 331

Founded 1971

Type Private

Denomination Baptist

Selectivity (US News) Less selective

Students (2005) 10,475

ORU's Budget Info:

Athletic Expenses (2006) $8,123,993

Rank 231 of 331

Men's Basketball Expenses (2006) $1,193,997 (15% of total)

Rank 173 of 331

Men's Sports Recruiting Exp. (2006)* $77,529

Rank 249 of 331

Cost per Win (2005-06 Season) $56,857 (25 wins)

Rank (less cost=better) chart 70 of 331

Founded 1963

Type Private

Denomination Christian interdenominational

Selectivity (US News) Selective

Students (2005) 4,077

The above information is a testament to the amazing athletic director we have. With less money and resources, we are putting out a much better product right now.

Thanks Rabbit!  Feel free to drop in all weekend...most of the posters will be at the games, but hopefully they'll check in via wi-fi throughout the tournament (hint, hint). :wink:

Winthrop pulls out a close one over VMI...

Recap

Don't know if anyone else saw the last 10 minutes of this game, but it was unbelievable.  VMI hit big shot after big shot to stay in it but Winthrop answered EVERY TIME to hold on and win.  Reminded me of a couple of heavyweights going back and forth round after round.  If the game hadn't been played on the Eagles home floor VMI would probably have on their dancing shoes right now.

No real surprises in yesterday's conference tournaments ... EKU did beat #1 Austin Peay in the OVC final, but the Colonels RPI was just 11 slots behind AP's #118.

NCAA TOURNAMENT AUTO BIDS

#49 Davidson (SoCon)

#69 Winthrop (Big South)

#86 Penn (Ivy)

#115 Belmont (Atlantic Sun)

#129 Eastern Kentucky (Ohio Valley)

Today's Games:

America East - Both #1 Vermont (77) and #2 Albany (93) hav RPIs that would probably have them slotted higher than ORU ... it would be nice to have Boston (210) or UMBC (217) win the league title and bump us up a bit.

Colonial Athletic - The CAA will probably be a two or three bid league ... probably won't effect ORU no matter how this one plays out.

MAAC - Root for anyone but #1 seed Marist ... the Red Foxes have an RPI of 101 - with everyone else at 135 or below.

Northeast - Doesn't really matter here either ... all the NEC's teams are ranked below #150 in the RPI.

Patriot - While improbable, it sure would be nice to have both/either American (174) and/or Army (225) to upset Holy Cross (66) and Bucknell (82) on their home floors in today's semifinal round.

Sun Belt - cheer for anyone besides Western Kentucky to win it all here ... the Hilltopers RPI (91) is at least 30 spots ahead of everyone else, including league leader South Alabama (121).

West Coast - Gonzaga (68) either needs to win it all or lose today in the semis ... if the make the title game their rep may get them in even without a win.  If Santa Clara (98) wins the auto-bid they could/would be placed a spot higher than ORU.  St. Mary's (144) and San Diego (171) are the two teams to be cheering for today.

Good points on RPI.  I did notice that our RPI moved from 104 to 97 after the Centenary win, mainly because Kansas, Arkansas, Georgetown, Tulsa, etc., each won.

Our RPI will improve with each win, especially if we win the final.  We could slip into the 80's depending on what happens with the record of our opponents over the next week.

That could push us past teams like Pennsylvania, Albany, Santa Clara, etc.  Of course RPI is not the only factor for determining seeding, but our Kansas win could give us a small advantage if we are lumped together with several similar RPI/record teams.  So I guess a 14 seed is still possible.

UMKC sends Valpo packing to the Horizon League, and heads to the semi-finals.

Final Score UMKC 84 - Valpo 76

Good call, rabbit!   Just got home from the game, and it was a thriller.  hard-fought by both teams till the very end, Valpo came up just a little short.  I have to admit, I felt a little sorry for some of my Valpo friends.  They watched a thirteen point lead evaporate away and the UMKC lead grow till the game was out of reach with a few seconds left. 

They started doing to UMKC exactly what they did to us at Valpo this season - foul, get the ball back, and shoot a quick three.  The only problem was, they missed some critical shots at the end, which UMKC rebounded.

Valpo women are still in it, though, and we'll get a chance to see them play again tomorrow against the Golden Eagles.  They'll be tough.

I also saw the game and thought that Valpo played the game a bit strange. They built a big lead by shooting jump shots (especially threes) and then continued to follow that game plan when the shots were not falling. I can hardly remember any inside game or entry passes down low - just jump shots. They needed to isolate on Ayuba (who was killing them - 31 points) and try to draw some fouls in order to get him out of the game. Not Homer's best coaching job. BTW, what is up with nine (!) assistants on the Valpo bench? That's crazy.... Almost a one-to-one ratio of players to coaches.

Looks like they were spectators of the Dee Ayuba show. 31 points, pretty impressive. Hopefully, if we have to play them, Yemi will be up to the challenge.