• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• tmh8286

• ORU Eli

• Stl VU Fan

For those of you who feel certain that Winthrop must win the Big South tournament in order to make the NCAA tournament, I offer the following in support of my argument that they are a legitimate at-large candidate, based mainly on sex appeal.  It's from an article by college basketball guru Seth Davis on SportsIllustrated.com regarding bubble teams:

"There are...a handful of teams that are the only teams from their respective conferences who have a chance to win an at-large bid, should they not wrap up the automatic bid. They are: Memphis (Conference USA), Butler (Horizon), Nevada (WAC) and Winthrop (Big South). Should any of these wild cards lose in their conference tournaments, that will eat up a bid that would otherwise go to a bubble boy. For now, I'm going to assume all four win their league tournaments, still leaving us with 15 bids to hand out.

(Incidentally, unlike the other three schools in the above group, Winthrop is not assured of an at-large bid. Though, if the Eagles do get snubbed I'm going to go Packer on the committee during the CBS Selection Show."

...must be nice to be a media darling!

He meant that Butler needs to win theyre tournament, because if they dont, they will be an at-large, and the team that won the conference tourny will be in as an automatic. So in that scenario there would be two teams instead of only one from that conference. Make any better sense?

That's the 2nd sentence, still waiting for a ruling on the 1st sentence.

As for the 2nd, OK, now I understand what you were trying to say, but I'm still having trouble understanding what it means.  Why does Butler need to make sure they are the only HL team that goes to the dance?  Why would they care?

Why does Butler need to make sure they are the only HL team that goes to the dance?  Why would they care?

We're looking at this from ORU's perspective - Butler doesn't care, but WE do.  So, when the message says "Butler needs to win to make sure that they're the only HL team in the tourney", it is intended to present the best scenario for ORU.

You've been on this board long enough to know, StL, it's all about US! :-D

Trying to decide if I'm gonna miss that regular Valpo sarcasm next year when they're not on the board as much.......

.....eh, probably will.

We're looking at this from ORU's perspective - Butler doesn't care, but WE do.  So, when the message says "Butler needs to win to make sure that they're the only HL team in the tourney", it is intended to present the best scenario for ORU.

You've been on this board long enough to know, StL, it's all about US! :-D

Oh. 'kay :-)

Trying to decide if I'm gonna miss that regular Valpo sarcasm next year when they're not on the board as much.......

.....eh, probably will.

Not sure what you are referring to exactly.  There's nothing Valpo about my sarcasm.

For that matter, I look forward to the time when Eaglebackr returns to this board (and he is sarcasm personified) next year instead of spending all his time trolling on our board.  We've still got fans on our board that seem to enjoy feeding the troll. :roll::-P

I've been keeping track of the Big South tournament, which is taking place this week on the home courts of the higher seeded teams, partly because of our discussion of Winthrop and partly because of our game with Liberty earlier this season.  In summary:

Winthrop beat Charleston Southern, 72-42

High Point beat Radford, 90-73

VMI beat Liberty, 79-78*

UNC Ashville beat Coastal Carolina, 77-64

High point is a good team - watch for them in the final with Winthrop, and a chance to win.

*Interesting story in the Liberty/VMI game.  Liberty just beat VMI at home, 118-108, about ten days ago.  But after playing up tempo ALL SEASON, VMI played a slow-down game, Liberty wasn't prepared for it, and lost.  Here's the story:

"The VMI Keydets (13-18), famous this season for their high-octane offense and trapping defense, came out with a much slower game plan and it helped edge the Liberty Flames (14-17), 79-78, in Game 2 of the 2007 Advance Auto Parts Big South Men?s Basketball Championship, Tuesday evening, at the Vines Center.

VMI, who scores more and gives up more points then anyone in the country, started on a slow pace much different then its normal-season style, allowing them to open a 19-11 lead on the heels of a Reggie Williams bucket at the 11:28 mark . . .More"

On a related note, Liberty canned their coach, Randy Dunton, after the loss.  His contract was up for renewal after this season, and they've announced that it will not be renewed.  No surprise - it's been talked about on their board much of the season. 

You can read more here if anyone other than me is interested.

Not sure what you are referring to exactly.  There's nothing Valpo about my sarcasm.

For that matter, I look forward to the time when Eaglebackr returns to this board (and he is sarcasm personified) next year instead of spending all his time trolling on our board.  We've still got fans on our board that seem to enjoy feeding the troll. :roll::-P

I think 'Valpo' is a legitimate adjective.

EB is here...he just posts under a different name and chooses not to employ so much sarcasm under his new name. I wouldn't mind if the 'old' EB made a re-appearance though.

No major upsets last night.  Four more tournaments get underway today/tonight, including arguably the most exciting (you heard me, ACC) conference tournament in the land:  the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament - "Arch Madness" - in St. Louis:

MISSOURI VALLEY  No. 1 Seed Southern Illinois has been projected as a #3 NCAA seed and possible opponent for a #14 ORU.  Other contenders include Barry Hinson's Missouri State Bears, who would like to advance as far as possible in this tournament to cement their at-large status.  Even if a Wichita State or a Northern Iowa gets hot and wins this thing, it shouldn't affect ORU too much; it might just cost MSU or Bradley an at-large pick in the 11-to-12 range:

Missouri Valley Tournament Preview

ATLANTIC SUN - The winner of this tournament, no matter who it is, will most likely be a #16 seed.  But it wouldn't hurt us to have regular season champ East Tennessee State get beat just to guarantee it:

Atlantic Sun Tournament Preview

NORTHEAST - With regular season champion Central Connecticut sporting a 158 RPI, this league is just hoping for no upsets so they can avoid the NCAA play-in game:

Northeast Conference Tournament Preview

SOUTHERN - One of a handful of one-bid conferences where the regular season champion - Davidson - is ranked with or just above ORU in most bracketology projections.  So, we need them to LOSE!  But it's not going to happen today - they already beat #8 Chattanooga this afternoon:

Southern Conference Tournament Preview

I think 'Valpo' is a legitimate adjective.

I had that particular sarcasm long before I became a VU fan.  For that matter, my response in this thread had nothing to do with Valpo.

EB is here...he just posts under a different name and chooses not to employ so much sarcasm under his new name. I wouldn't mind if the 'old' EB made a re-appearance though.

Ah.  Incognito times 2. :roll::-P

A couple of upsets Thursday night in conference tournament play, but still no #1 seeds eliminated - yet.  Here's a recap:

Conference Tournaments Recap 3/1

March Madness is now in high gear - three more conference tournaments get under way Friday:

WEST COAST - Regular season champ Gonzaga is surprisingly only a #69 RPI and is projected as a #13 seed.  So we need them to lose, and have the upset winner get slotted lower than ORU:

West Coast Tournament Preview

AMERICA EAST  - Same deal here:  we need the the regular season champ of this one-bid league, the Catamounts of Vermont, to bow out early in this tournament, opening up another potential slot for ORU in the #13 range:

America East Tournament Preview

COLONIAL - The home of Final Four cinderella George Mason, this mid-major league may get as many as three bids if the cards fall right.  We need Drexel -  a bubble team projected in the #13 range - to lose early in this one, leaving just Old Dominion and Virginia Commonwealth to duke it out in the finals and take just two bids:

Colonial Tournament Preview

Big South

Big upset - VMI over High Point, 91-81.

Winthrop beats UNC Ashville, 79-60.

So it's a Winthrop - VMI matchup in the championship.

The Winthrop - UNCA game was on ESPNU tonight, and they were talking about it on UNC - GA Tech game.  Jay Bilas predicts Winthrop will get an at large if the lose the tournament because of their "gaudy record".

Winthrop's RPI at 69 today...Their opponent in the Championship is VMI who's RPI is a stellar 302.

If VMI wins (unlikely), they're a 16 play-in and Winthrop's RPI will drop to 80 at least.  That would knock them out of an at large kind of like our loss to WIU last year "helped" us get a 16 seed.  This senario would help our cause as long as we take care of business... 

Just wanted to get everyone's radar up to a possible good senario.

On a related note, Liberty canned their coach, Randy Dunton, after the loss.  His contract was up for renewal after this season, and they've announced that it will not be renewed.  No surprise - it's been talked about on their board much of the season. 

Tom Hankins name was mentioned by a poster as a potential candidate:

Liberty Coaching Prospects

Tom Hankins name was mentioned by a poster as a potential candidate:

Liberty Coaching Prospects

Wishful thinking on the poster's part ... why would Coach Hank go to LU when he's the odds on favorite to be the next head coach here?  There's a pretty big gap between those two programs right now.