Game Time?!

Eagles30

Guest Rob Marshall

Good points.... the only counter is that a true professional should not let personal bias or pique get in the way of his job. Easier said than done in a job like officiating I guess. Over time the system (peers?) should wash out the true incompetents - and then they work in the Mid-Con.... sorry I couldn't resist.

Terry, in a perfect world, you're absolutely right.  But again, I only have to point to ORU's first round NCAA loss to Memphis last season when long-time and well known official, Jim Burr, twisted off and was a complete A$$ (sorry, I couldn't resist!) to Scott Sutton.  Clearly, a personal bias against the Sutton family that had NOTHING to do with Scott  but rather 100% to do with Jim Burr being an overpaid, vertically challenged idiot who has "history" with Eddie Sutton.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• vcboy2000

• ORUTerry

• Eagles30

We had a similar call with just seconds remaining in our game at Oakland.  A loose ball rebound situation, which normally is a play on....foul called on us and Cassise hit two free throws that gave Oakland a 3 point lead.  We lost 64-61.  We really didn't make a big deal about it because it wouldn't have mattered, but it certainly was one of those calls that the big time officials normally would have let go in that situation.  You call sounds worse, but since it happened in the same place in a close game, it makes one wonder....by the way, I'm told Mid-Con officials make $675.00 per game.  Not a bad part-time job.  It's about half what bigger conferences pay or so I'm told.

Guest Rob Marshall

We had a similar call with just seconds remaining in our game at Oakland.  A loose ball rebound situation, which normally is a play on....foul called on us and Cassise hit two free throws that gave Oakland a 3 point lead.  We lost 64-61.  We really didn't make a big deal about it because it wouldn't have mattered, but it certainly was one of those calls that the big time officials normally would have let go in that situation.  You call sounds worse, but since it happened in the same place in a close game, it makes one wonder....by the way, I'm told Mid-Con officials make $675.00 per game.  Not a bad part-time job.  It's about half what bigger conferences pay or so I'm told.

Thanks for sharing VU's story, Dick.  My point is further substantiated that in sports where the human element is in play with officiating, there will ALWAYS be inconsistencies.  Whether these guys make $400, $700, or $1100 a game, however you slice it they are paid a healthy wage which one would think would be motivation enough to be the best you can be at this level knowing you may get an opportunity to make $2000 a game in a BCS conference like the "big name" officials do.  I remember when we (the TSC) were hosting the WAC tournament at TU and had a crew made up of "Ted Hillary, Ed Hightower, and Steve Wellmer" who combined to make right at $6000 to call a "play-in" game between the 9 and 10 seeds (UTEP vs. Boise State) on Tuesday night and that was back in 2003!  But at the end of the day, the WAC could say, "we had some of college basketball's best officials working our tournament this year."

Guest Blevins

Frank Spencer was not involved in any of the most critical errors last night, other then the clock reset at the end of overtime. Spencer was over-ruled at least three times by Bart Wegenke in the final 25 minutes, and each time the corrected call not only went in Oakland's favor but almost immediately resulted in points for Oakland.

Nowakowski whistled the 5 second call on Tutt at the end of regulation as Sutton was calling timeout (while standing less than 5 feet away from him, yelling "timeout, timeout, timeout!") and he is also the one who called the charge on Shawn King on the final play. He, as the lead official, was also involved in the clock reset at the end of the game.

Guest Rob Marshall

Frank Spencer was not involved in any of the most critical errors last night, other then the clock reset at the end of overtime. Spencer was over-ruled at least three times by Bart Wegenke in the final 25 minutes, and each time the corrected call not only went in Oakland's favor but almost immediately resulted in points for Oakland.

Nowakowski whistled the 5 second call on Tutt at the end of regulation as Sutton was calling timeout (while standing less than 5 feet away from him, yelling "timeout, timeout, timeout!") and he is also the one who called the charge on Shawn King on the final play. He, as the lead official, was also involved in the clock reset at the end of the game.

CB, thank you for the detailed insight.  Stuff that's interesting and good to know.

There has to be a mechanism to truly hold referees accountable for this type of blatantly incorrect call made at a point when everyone knows the outcome of the game is at stake.

But I wonder, as Rob pointed out with the Jim Burr example, can you hurt yourself by lodging a complaint with the league office, or the head of Mid-Con officials (whatever the protocol is)?  Since that complaint would certainly get back to the conference referees, does it actually work against you over time?

I know in any line of work, if you are held directly accountable for your performance, over time your performance will improve, or you will find another line of work.  I wonder if these guys can start feeling untouchable, and therefore feel the freedom to express their biases without the fear of recourse.

I wonder if ORU could ask to see a copy of the game film that was used to determine that .4 seconds should still be on the clock.  One way to improve accountability would be for each game to be filmed, and for those films to be the property of the Mid-Con, and to be readily made available for each other team. 

If we can end up broadcasting each conference game via the internet next year (as has been discussed) then I think it improves the transparency, accountability, and integrity of the officiating and the league.  As it is, we are relying on eyewitness accounts because this game was not available via the internet.

Guest Rob Marshall

There has to be a mechanism to truly hold referees accountable for this type of blatantly incorrect call made at a point when everyone knows the outcome of the game is at stake.

But I wonder, as Rob pointed out with the Jim Burr example, can you hurt yourself by lodging a complaint with the league office, or the head of Mid-Con officials (whatever the protocol is)?  Since that complaint would certainly get back to the conference referees, does it actually work against you over time?

I know in any line of work, if you are held directly accountable for your performance, over time your performance will improve, or you will find another line of work.  I wonder if these guys can start feeling untouchable, and therefore feel the freedom to express their biases without the fear of recourse.

I wonder if ORU could ask to see a copy of the game film that was used to determine that .4 seconds should still be on the clock.  One way to improve accountability would be for each game to be filmed, and for those films to be the property of the Mid-Con, and to be readily made available for each other team. 

If we can end up broadcasting each conference game via the internet next year (as has been discussed) then I think it improves the transparency, accountability, and integrity of the officiating and the league.  As it is, we are relying on eyewitness accounts because this game was not available via the internet.

Well, as the old saying goes, "the camera never lies," right?  In basketball though, a technologically advanced, strategically positioned team of cameras don't lie, so I think you have a terrific idea Jason.  Does the league (and/or its membership) have the resources to implement the state of the art systems available to insure quality, and thus credibility, though?  That is the $64K question.  :|

This was honestly one of hte worst officiated games I have ever seen. Im not usually one to blame it on the refs but this one was the real deal. Likes its been said, there were countless calls that involved the oakland player initiating contact into an ORU defender that was straight up, then there was the 5 second call on Ken when Scott was yelling timeout at the ref. There were also two times I counted that the oakland player literally threw the ball out of bounds and got it right back. Can't even count all the over the back fouls that werent called.... and to top it all off... that clock reset was horrible. I actually had an oakland fan agree with me that the light was on the backboard as the ball was going into the hoop. It was pretty hard to take.

That is the $64K question.   :|

I'm afraid the system in question would actually be a good bit more than $64K, rob :-).

Jason, I've long contended that the situation is just as you say - the system is set up such that officials are almost completely unaccountable.  And boy, if they find out that you've complained of their poor performance, you can count on the fact that you'll be paying for it from then on (when they officiate your games).

Basketball officiating system needs to be revamped.  Teams need to have some means of issuing a complaint when a game has been called poorly against them.  I recognise the human element in officiating.  I can deal with that.  It's the "ego" element that I object to, which I feel is often at play in poorly called games.  That, and outright incompetence, which we see plenty of in the Mid-Con as well.

Guest Rob Marshall

I'm afraid the system in question would actually be a good bit more than $64K, rob :-).

You reallly think so????  :-o  I'm 164% sure of it!  :-D

Strangely, the phrase "the $64,000 question" is common in Britain, where it means "the most important question," despite the fact that the original game show is virtually unknown in the UK. The format was, however, imported to the UK (1956-58), produced by ATV (always keen to pick up successful US formats), hosted by Jerry Desmond, and called simply The 64,000 Question with the top prize initially being 64,000 sixpences (?1,600), later doubling to 64,000 shillings (?3,200).

A post on the Oakland message board this AM under the subject line "Set things right":

"I work at the scorers table during the games and here is what happened. The refs came to the table to check the monitor to make sure the shot counted. In checking it they determined that there was still .4 seconds to play after the ball went through the basket. Oakland has a shot clock and a game clock mounted on the basket so it can easily be determined how much time was left. The monitor was installed at the table this year for when things like this happen. Because the Oakland AD spent some extra money to have a first class operation, we were able to win the game."

A post on the Oakland message board this AM under the subject line "Set things right":

"I work at the scorers table during the games and here is what happened. The refs came to the table to check the monitor to make sure the shot counted. In checking it they determined that there was still .4 seconds to play after the ball went through the basket. Oakland has a shot clock and a game clock mounted on the basket so it can easily be determined how much time was left. The monitor was installed at the table this year for when things like this happen. Because the Oakland AD spent some extra money to have a first class operation, we were able to win the game."

One must wonder what?s the Mid-Con office take is on this.  Just who polices the monitor set up? Does the Mid-Con office inspect the set up?  If Oakland is set up why isn't the Mid-Con office making it league policy for all teams?  Who decides to take a look at the play if it's not policy for all teams?  Does this mean if you have a monitor any play can be reviewed? Is just the officials or can coaches ask for the play to be reviewed?  Wondering Minds would like to know.... well ok probably just mind.

I doubt we ever hear what the Mid-Con office thinks of this. I know it is 'water under the bridge' and really does not matter, but I am curious about whether this situation with the clock was handled correctly. If the game was not televised, but a monitor was available - can the referees still utilize the available technology to determine the time (if any) remaining?

The bottom line is that ORU is the league champion and came within two overtimes (on the road against the 2nd and 3rd seeds) from an undefeated conference record.

There have been times that officials did apologize after a game for a blown call...it happened to us in football a couple of years ago, when our wide receiver caught a pass for the winning touchdown, but the officials ruled he was out of the back of the end zone.  The ref mistook the logo line, for the end of the end zone.  The Pioneer Football League office did issue an official apology to us and the ref was suspended for several games after.  We still lost however.....haven't heard of anything like that in basketball in the Mid-Con since we've been in it, but there are times......

The bottom line is that ORU is the league champion and came within two overtimes (on the road against the 2nd and 3rd seeds) from an undefeated conference record.

That's pretty darn awesome!!

Interesting article about how referees in the NCAA are not monitored in terms of number of games they call; they are contractors. This could explain a lot of things.

Fox Sports Story