• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• vcboy2000

• ORUTerry

• Eagles30

If Scott is ever in a situation like this again as a head coach, I bet he leaves the inbounding player unguarded........

Ive been talking with the maniacs who were at the game.....they said it was ridiculous.  One said, they didnt even know what the ref called (the last call on king).....no one knew what had been called.  They said the whole game....the refs were horrible.  

They also said their fans were lousy sports after the game, the maniacs had bottles thrown at them, along with foods were being thrown, several said people were cursing at them and just yelling ugly stuff towards them.  THey said it was horrible after the game.

It sounded ridiculous.

Given the way the officials were calling the game, how could you be sure they would not call a foul on the catch down the court? Or allow the home clock operator to 'delay' the start of the clock and allow a shot to get away?

If Scott is ever in a situation like this again as a head coach, I bet he leaves the inbounding player unguarded........

Just take all five guys off the court... that's a tough play to make unguarded.

Ive been talking with the maniacs who were at the game.....they said it was ridiculous.  One said, they didnt even know what the ref called (the last call on king).....no one knew what had been called.  They said the whole game....the refs were horrible. 

They also said their fans were lousy sports after the game, the maniacs had bottles thrown at them, along with foods were being thrown, several said people were cursing at them and just yelling ugly stuff towards them.  THey said it was horrible after the game. I know there were atleast a few of the girls who went who were crying, just trying to leave. 

It sounded ridiculous.

Crying?  How bad could it be?  I'm sure it wasn't any worse than the OU-Texas game in Norman today.  I happened to be at the game... I'd sign Durant to a $100 million contract if I had the money.  That guy is the best I've ever seen.

This makes it very clear that we cannot let any of the Mid-Con tourney games come down to the wire.  

Given what we just experienced, especially with the perception that we have a "home-court advantage" because the tourney is in Tulsa, I could see us not getting the benefit of the doubt.

I hope this will focus the players to value every possession and every free throw (i.e. Marchello's double foul/lane violation that probably cost us a point since KT is over an 80% FT shooter) and put their opponents away.

Honestly, I was impressed with how we battled.  There is no question that the Centenary, Utah State, IUPUI, and Oakland games have gotten us battle-tested for the tourney.  In my mind, this is a win, and I'm sure the coaches and players will see it that way.  If we can get back the defensive intensity that we showed at times earlier this season, I think we will be hard to beat.

Terry's right.

Scott said that in the time out they told Shawn NOT to follow the inbounding player six or seven times, and he still did it. 

I highly doubt this was done.  Along with Rob, I didn't hear that on the radio.  Why would you even put Shawn on the ball if you didn't want him to follow the inbounder?  That just wouldn't make any sense and would actually be a bad coaching decision.  You put the tallest guy you have on the ball to try to tip the pass.  Bottom line... Kampe struck again.  He did the only thing he could to win.  He knew he had a chance by doing the flop.  Looking back at the play.  You still put Shawn on the ball and tell him to try to tip the pass.  I still like my opinion of just taking all five players off the court.  I bet a team might convert just once or twice out of a 100 attempts.

Officials: Dan Nowakowski; Bart Wegenke; Frank Spencer

We've had those guys at ORU many times.  I wondered if Spencer was involved in this one - he's one of the most incompetent officials to wear the striped shirt in the Mid-Con.  I can TOTALLY believe he had a hand in tonight's game.

A team might only convert 1 or 2 attempts out of 100 if the refs and the clock operator are unbiased.  I would guess that wouldn't have been the situation tonight.  (But I know what you mean).

Not to beat a dead horse.... but here goes: I have often wondered if some of these referees bring a bias (religious, etc) against ORU. Sometimes the same refs are making the same bad calls against ORU and it makes you wonder. It is probably just plain, ole incompetence.

Terry, that is one of the first things I said once this game was over.  There is no way to know, but when a call is so blatantly bad, it makes you wonder what the refs motivation was. 

That's why I made my comment about not wanting the ref who made this call to ref in the Mid-Con tournament.

I understand that the game is played at a very high rate of speed, and so some foul calls are anticipated (i.e. is it a clean block or a foul, is it a charge or a blocking foul, did he really drag his pivot foot, etc.,) and in that regard it is difficult to be a men's D-1 ref.  The women's game moves more slowly, so fouls are often much more obvious and easier to call.

But this type of call doesn't fit that category.  This is a "I'm looking for any opportunity to send these Oakland seniors out with a win" type of call.

I wish the WAC refs had felt that way during our Utah State game last weekend.  Instead, they were too concerned about protecting Jaycee Carroll.  But don't get me started.......

Guest Rob Marshall

Not to beat a dead horse.... but here goes: I have often wondered if some of these referees bring a bias (religious, etc) against ORU. Sometimes the same refs are making the same bad calls against ORU and it makes you wonder. It is probably just plain, ole incompetence.

Referees are human so they can hold grudges against coaches (including ones who may have family member(s) that they don't care for - NOTE:  Jim Burr from the NCAA tournament last year), athletic directors and universities who may have been "less than complimentary" of their services in the past.  For example, say a coach or AD calls the league office to complain about a certain official or ten, and that feedback gets back to the referee(s) in question.  If that official is assigned to a game for said coach or AD's school, then is it beyond belief that the referee might be persuaded to be "less favorable" toward said team?  Likewise, certain coaches/AD may be "more popular" with certain officials which can work similar results but without the "negative" motivation of being "anti" a specific coach/AD and their team but rather they are just more "pro" the opponent on that night.  Home crowds can have be a factor in "influencing" an official's call patterns too ... after all, no one likes to be "unpopular" right?   :-o

Good points.... the only counter is that a true professional should not let personal bias or pique get in the way of his job. Easier said than done in a job like officiating I guess. Over time the system (peers?) should wash out the true incompetents - and then they work in the Mid-Con.... sorry I couldn't resist.