2024 NCAA Tournament

Keenan Henderson

Grant Nelson with a studly performance in an upset of N C

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I think we can crown UCONN champs for the second year in a row.  They are just destroying the other teams in the tournament.  Can anyone ever give them a game, say within 10 points.  The Huskies have become like Alabama was in college football, before Nick Saban left.   Just on another level from the rest of the pack.

They are impressive!!

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, jmg1984 said:

UNC should have picked up Kareem Thompson in the portal last year.  How the heck do the Tar Heels let that guy look like a legit first round draft pick?  Unreal and very disappointing...if you had UNC advancing on your bracket 🙃

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

That UNC el foldo cost TheEagleman a $125 win on a 4 game parlay last night....had Clemson, Illinois, UConn and UNC... ugh! 😵‍💫

NC State does not look like an 11 seed.  They have won 8 in a row and could make a final four run.  Who would have thought that a couple of weeks ago?  That is what makes the tournament exciting.

• Like 1

Wolfpack have now won 9 in a row are are in the Final Four for the first time since the 1983 Valvano year....amazing performance vs. Duke in the 2nd half last night.....not sure how they will do vs. Purdue but ya never know.....😎

• Upvote 1

It will be Purdue and Connecticut in the finals and that should be a great game to watch.

• Upvote 1

I'm going with UConn over NC St!

8 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

I'm going with UConn over NC St!

Purdue is a 9 point favorite tomorrow night.  I would be tempted to give you the points and NCSU.....but I am following @theeagleman5's great example and refraining from sports betting.

• Upvote 1

I cannot remember a college basketball team as good as UConn, maybe UNLV back in the early 90s with Larry Johnson and Stacy Augmon.  They just have everything: size, shooting, rebounding and solid defense.  The Huskies are playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers.  If Purdue gets hot from 3 and Zach is controlling the paint, then maybe they have a chance to pull off the upset.

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Wolfpack have now won 9 in a row are are in the Final Four for the first time since the 1983 Valvano year....amazing performance vs. Duke in the 2nd half last night.....not sure how they will do vs. Purdue but ya never know.....😎

Yeah, when NC State kept going to Burns in the post, and Duke kept playing the same strategy over and over, it made me wonder what Coach K would’ve done. Surely he would have tried some sort of defensive adjustment? Scheyer was handed the keys to an incredible program and I wonder if he’ll be able to sustain the Final Four level of success that they expect there. 

Also, I really like Kevin Keatts. He seems like a great guy and a very smart coach. 

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

The Huskies are playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers. 

Man, I must totally be watching the wrong tournament.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I cannot remember a college basketball team as good as UConn, maybe UNLV back in the early 90s with Larry Johnson and Stacy Augmon.  They just have everything: size, shooting, rebounding and solid defense.  The Huskies are playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers.  If Purdue gets hot from 3 and Zach is controlling the paint, then maybe they have a chance to pull off the upset.

Yeah I thought of the 1990 UNLV team

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

That had to be the worst half of basketball in the history of the Duke program....a complete collapse in all phases of the game.

• Upvote 2

I was just glad Duke lost after last year vs ORU.  Never liked them and it is good to see some different teams in the final four instead of the typical blue bloods.  It would be great to see NC State vs Alabama in the title game, a very rare chance but one can hope!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 11:09 PM, jmg1984 said:

Grant Nelson earned national recognition & respect and made himself a lot of money in this tournament. He had a great game against the tar heels and then has 19 points and 15 rebounds against UCONN in the final four! Like him or not, you have to give him his due, he played his best against the best on the biggest stage.  

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Grant Nelson earned national recognition & respect and made himself a lot of money in this tournament. He had a great game against the tar heels and then has 19 points and 15 rebounds against UCONN in the final four! Like him or not, you have to give him his due, he played his best against the best on the biggest stage.  

Spot on! Great to see a guy from the Mid major Summit League do well on the national stage. 2nd rounder??

• Upvote 2

The other mid-major player for Alabama who contributed greatly was Mark Sears who played his first two years at Ohio.  Of course Alabama's HC (Nate Oats) also came to Alabama from mid-major Buffalo.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Grant Nelson is a 6'11 guy who has good variety in his game.  He is not great at anything but can rebound, block a shot, score inside or out (30 percent from 3), and even dish out a few assists.   There are only a few players at that size, who have that much variety in their game.  If he can be drafted in the second round and find the right team, then he should get a shot at the NBA.  Nelson could use about 15-20 pounds of muscle to beef up a little but the NBA opportunity is there.

• Like 2