ORU at South Dakota

theeagleman5

Battle of the Summit League bottom dwellers tomorrow afternoon in Vermillion.....who could have imagined this just a month ago?.....these teams have lost 9 of their last 10 combined.... Good Guys badly need a win but TheEagleman not seeing it as badly as we have played on the road this season.....tough loss last night in Omaha....will concede that ORU battled til the bitter end.....,maybe there is a chance to steal a W......GO BLUE!!!! :tb-blue:

It does look like a preview of the 8vs 9 matchup in the Summit League tournament.  Of course, ORU won the first matchup and was able to force 15 plus turnovers and win by double digits.  If they can force a lot of turnovers again then it is a winnable game, otherwise it may be a long afternoon.  

• Like 1

ORU is -2.5 on the road....I know USD isn't very good but ORU has won TWO road games all season....maybe the Good Guys are just overdue....and maybe TheEagleman is a sucker for believing in this team one more time... ORU 77 South Dakota 73.....🙏

I just did the math. Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but just in case: ORU and Denver both have two more games to play. If we win both games and Denver splits, we will both be at 7-9, or if we split and Denver loses both games, we will both be at 6-10. If we have the same number of wins and loses as Denver, we become the 7 seed and avoid the play-in game with South Dakota, because we beat Denver both times. Expect a Miracle?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Is anyone able to listen to Adam during today’s game against SD? I’ve been unable to find a link so far.

A good first half as ORU shot around 55 percent and leads by 6.  It would be nice to get a win.  Balanced scoring from the starters.

Same old same old....6 losses in a row is depressing.....😪

South Dakota goes on a 13-0 run in the second half in less than 3 minutes and holds off ORU by one point.  Another tough loss but the guys went back to basically giving up a lay up line in the second half.  At this point, Kareem is about the only one that can guard the paint.  Otherwise, it is a dunk or layup for the opponent.

Have to go back to the 2000-01 season to find the last time ORU had a longer (7 game) conference losing streak.

ORU also had 7 game losing streaks during the 2015-16 and the 2016-17 seasons but those occurred in the non conference against P5 competition.

This is obviously not good and BIG changes need to be made this off season.

• Upvote 1

We suck. HCRS needs some assistant coach turnover this offseason in order for me to have any confidence with him at the helm. 

• Like 2

Another late season Eagles collapse... this is Groundhog Day for TheEagleman....😬

Have to say that this stretch in February has been a real downer for TheEagleman and surely all of you....especially after the way we have finished the previous few seasons so i am spoiled.....still not sure what is wrong with this team because they do appear to have some talent and haven't totally quit as evidenced by their play this past weekend....I confess that I did not see any of either game but the two brutal bad beats by one point show that the Good Guys are trying....they just can't seem to finish the deal....guess it's a combo of poor play at the wrong time and some questionable coaching.....as pointed out by others out lack a playing good fundamental defense at key points in the games is just appalling.....ORU really needs a good week of practice and maybe we can put together a solid win on Senior Night vs. KC to get some momentum heading into the Summit League Tournament....having to play in the play in game is a bit embarrassing for the once mighty Golden Eagles....undefeated last year and putrid this year.....it's a humbling experience for ORU.....but let's try to make the best of it.....:tb-white:

• Upvote 2

The opponent knows that ORU basically lacks any inside presence.  So, then they attack the rim at will and then wait for McBride/Thompson to drive on 6'8 or 6'9 players.  Without a big man, the Eagles are just at such a disadvantage.  Herron is a bouncy/athletic 4 that they put 20 pounds on to try and turn him into a center, which is similar to what they asked DJ to do in the past.  Those guys are not 5s!  If ORU had a solid center then things would be different.

To be honest, TheEagleman hasn't watched a ton of ORU basketball this season.....but Ashton Smith and Josh Jones are two big bodies.....just wondering why they don't play more minutes??...I know Jones 6-10 is raw and has had foul problems but Smith is a wide body at 6-8 260 pounds.....guess he just isnt ready either along with Moore....there's 15 fouls to take if we just put one of those dudes in the middle....next season perhaps?....if not then Coach better get some big Juco players....easier said than done.......damn we really could have used Connor.....and how is that dude doing at Mizzou these days????.....🙄

I was restoring my computer from a backup this weekend, and in the process reviewed some larger files to decide if they were worth keeping. 

One of the files with a nondescript title turned out to be a video of the 74-68 win over TU at the Reynolds Center in 2013.

That team featured Obi Emegano, Korey Billbury, Shawn Glover, but not much else. It was a .500 squad that went 10-8 in conference play. 

But here’s what stood out:  they passed the ball.  They made cuts to the basket. They set picks other than ball screens 30-feet out. They fed the post. They rebounded. They played defense.  They were, in short, a team (albeit not an outstanding one). 

And, I think they would beat the pants off this latest version of the Golden Eagles. They just played a much more complete brand of basketball than what is sorely lacking in today’s college game in general, and at 81st & Lewis in particular.

And, FYI :  I kept the file… 🫤

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jones should be playing football, the dude is out there tackling people.  Smith looks like he has potential but missed almost 2 and half seasons because of injuries, transfer issues, etc.  He looks a little unsure about his role when he does get a few minutes on the court.  I think if Smith had not missed the first 10 games then maybe he could have been similar to Lufile: able to pick and roll and finish strong around the rim.  He still may be able to do that next year.  

TheEagleman is really looking forward to this rubber game in the series....should be a monster crowd watching in Sioux Falls and if there are more than 1000 that would be shocking since so many other things to do on a Friday Night in that lovely town.....GO BLUE!!! Image result for george costanza images

• Haha 1