Impact of the Mayors Cup

Dr. Cornelius

This has got to be a Gold* impersonator! The REAL Gold* has never been so civil or displayed enough respect for the opinions of ORU fans to respond with other than an Oral joke or a 900 Foot Jesus line.

Come clean, Gold*. Who are you really???

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold*

• oruvoice

• Dr. Cornelius

• tmh8286

Top Posters In This Topic

See Gold...you can post a legitimate opinion without resulting to name calling and crude jokes! Good job, little fella!

And to your point, it is a valid one. TU has more clout because of recent history and conference affiliation. ORU gave that advantage to TU in the mid '80's when we left the Midwest Collegiate Conference. Back then, we were a LEGIT mid-major on the same level of a TU. And in the 70's we were ahead of TU on those levels!

That said, we may get back there in the future. If there is another BIG conference shake up, we may one day end up in the Valley or similar. Then it's a whole new ball game.[/quote]

It seems to me if you should join the Valley a lot of us from TU would want to go to some of the games against WSU and other teams we tend to follow since we left the Valley

The TU -ORU series has long been one of over-achievement. I have attended nearly every game in the series since the mid-70's, and there have been a number of times when the heavily favored team did not play up to its potential and the underdog over-achieved. This is a RIVALRY game. For either side to say it doesn't matter is completely ignoring the long history and tradition of this game not to mention REALITY in terms of recruiting, attendance, and overall perception of the programs. When Zack Jones and team beat us in the Mabee Center in the mid-70's, it was a huge upset at it mattered. When Nathan Binam hit a miracle three at the buzzer, it was a huge upset and it mattered. The players get up for this game. It matters to them. You bet your boots it matters to the coaches. Can't wait till Saturday and hope both sides bring its' "A" game.

The ORU coaches liked Mitchell from what I heard.... Said he had a lot of upside as a player and that he was a tough kid. We told him he would be red-shirted. Ramsdell is also a good player who has been misused.... he is actually a three but is forced to play in the post.

The ORU coaches have (and continue) done a great job of evaluating talent. Our recent success (thank you Caleb Green and Ken Tutt) have allowed us to go after more high profile players (King and Hazzel) rather than overlooked diamonds.

We told Mitchell he would redshirt as well. But we ended up needing him -- he's been a pleasent suprise the first few games. Every one of our fans thought he would redshirt and there was some bitter argument when a few got the tip that he was going to play this year, as no one believed it. He's looked improved over how he played at Champions over the summer.

I think Wojcik would tell you the opposite about Ramsdell's position. The old staff never let him have a position -- I swear I thought I saw them put Ramsdell at point one game. He never settled down and got comfortable -- of course, he got yanked a lot, too. He's such a good athlete that he's more of a natural, albeit non-traditional, post player. The difference between him and a lot of guys his height is that he's way more coordinated and just generally more athletic, given his high jump experience. Sure, he used to get rammed into easy baskets on defense. I think the new staff is trying to make him think differently about the game, teaching him different ways to rebound and play D (hopefully our improved rebounding continues all season). He's a lot more active on defense this year.

If he played the three, I'm afraid he'd give up to much speed to his man on the other team.

I think ORU should continue to look for diamonds in the rough. There's an old saying: "come with what brought ya." TU's decision to depart from our old philosophy and recruit over-hyped players was an integral part of our downfall.

This has got to be a Gold* impersonator! The REAL Gold* has never been so civil or displayed enough respect for the opinions of ORU fans to respond with other than an Oral joke or a 900 Foot Jesus line.

Come clean, Gold*. Who are you really???

Digger Phelps

I can't comment on the history of recruiting between the schools because i have only been an ORU fan for 6 years. I've heard that ORU dominated in the 70's, but when we left the NCAA we lost a lot of momentum. The 80's saw TU start to dominate the series.

Personally, i think the rivalry would affect the newbies that are coming up that are not familiar with TU's winning tradition in the mid 80's on up to 2002. A kid is going to go a program that he sees winning. I grew up in the great state of north carolina, and the only school kids wanted to attend to play ball was North Carolina or Duke. Nobody mentioned Wake Forest (good school) or even North Carolina State. It was all about who was winning.

Of course this whole debate is pointless if the level of in-state players are not high. I would think that both schools would want to increase the level of recruitment all around instead of competing for medicre in-state talent.

Woah Nellie!!! I can only hope that ORU doesn't recruit Oklahoma players. We are a vastly underrated hotbed for high school basketball. Sure, you have to recruit well in Texas and get a few players from outside the region -- but all the best teams in the state have been built around Oklahoma players, or, more broadly, players with some sort of other tie to the state.

Seriously, other than Nolan's first team, TU has lived on local talent. There are so many great area players that slip under the radar -- Dante Swanson, Marcus Hill, Antonio Reed, Eric Coley, Ray Poindexter, Pooh Williamson, Rod Thompson, and your pivotal pivot man, Caleb Green. You have to get a couple of big time recruits to get in the tournament, but having your roster stacked top to bottom with good players, particularly guards, is what wins games in March.

I

Of course this whole debate is pointless if the level of in-state players are not high. I would think that both schools would want to increase the level of recruitment all around instead of competing for medicre in-state talent.

Woah Nellie!!! I can only hope that ORU doesn't recruit Oklahoma players. We are a vastly underrated hotbed for high school basketball. Sure, you have to recruit well in Texas and get a few players from outside the region -- but all the best teams in the state have been built around Oklahoma players, or, more broadly, players with some sort of other tie to the state.

Seriously, other than Nolan's first team, TU has lived on local talent. There are so many great area players that slip under the radar -- Dante Swanson, Marcus Hill, Antonio Reed, Eric Coley, Ray Poindexter, Pooh Williamson, Rod Thompson, and your pivotal pivot man, Caleb Green. You have to get a couple of big time recruits to get in the tournament, but having your roster stacked top to bottom with good players, particularly guards, is what wins games in March.

Oops! I only had to venture over to the TU board to experience the Gold* we all know and love! My bad!

I'll say this once-- talk trash about my team and you'll feel the wrath. Backr was over the line in attacking CB. And I make fun of the Voice because that's part of my schtick.

Guest EagleBackr
Oops! I only had to venture over to the TU board to experience the Gold* we all know and love! My bad!

Yes, all you need to know about Ghould* is summed up in just a sampling of his posts on the TU message board from this afternoon, where he claims the ORU Sports Marketing department purposely rented a billboard on 11th Street just to antagonize TU fans, while accusing ORU players of intentionally trying to injure TU players during the summer basketball league. But, it is encouraging to see from his previous posts here that, when properly medicated, he can almost resemble a sane adult...

Guest EagleBackr
I'll say this once-- talk trash about my team and you'll feel the wrath. Backr was over the line in attacking CB.

FYI - The "attack" Ghould* is referring to was my response to TUCatbird's ("CB") assertion that it was wrong for the Wendy's at 11th & Harvard to participate in the county-wide Eli's Kids Club promotion. Here is the original post by "CB", along with my response:

CB: I guess I'll have to inform the Manager at that Wendy's why I'll no longer be a patron there. Any neighborhood business that does not support TU, and distributes flyers or materials promoting an opponent of TU, does not deserve the support of TU fans. I'll be informing Wendy's of that fact.

EagleBackr: It's ridiculous to blame Wendy's or any other local business for sponsoring ORU basketball, or the Ice Oilers, or the '66ers, etc. These sponsors have made an expensive and well-considered marketing decision in the best interest of their company, most likely in response to an equally well-presented pitch from marketing representatives from those teams. ORU's sports marketing and promotions staff is one of the hardest-working groups you will ever meet. IF YOU WANT TO BE ANGRY, BE ANGRY AT THE TU SPORTS MARKETING STAFF FOR GETTING BEAT JUST AS BADLY AS YOUR BASKETBALL TEAM!!

If that's an "over-the-line attack", then I'm happy to plead "guilty"...

Yes, all you need to know about Ghould* is summed up in just a sampling of his posts on the TU message board from this afternoon, where he claims the ORU Sports Marketing department purposely rented a billboard on 11th Street just to antagonize TU fans, while accusing ORU players of intentionally trying to injure TU players during the summer basketball league. But, it is encouraging to see from his previous posts here that, when properly medicated, he can almost resemble a sane adult...

That's so irresponsible of you, you scary Thesaurus!

Look -- I won't flame you on your board. But you proved to have the bull-ability of a dainty ballerina today. And, as most of you should know, Catbird is a cool dude and doesn't deserve a comment like the one you threw at him today.

If you want to have a discussion about sports on your board, I'll participate. I will do my best to be polite on your board. I wish you were capable of doing the same on our board.

Hate to agree with Gold, but Catbird is THE MAN!

Take shots at Gold, but Catbird is someone I consider a friend and a really great guy!