North Dakota at ORU

Keenan Henderson

I'm not calling for coach to be fired. But I do think at the end of the season a very extensive review needs to occur. Coach did not come into a situation where the cupboard was bare, he has 3 solid vets and 2 of them are considered top 10 players in the league.  

Watching this game tonight; and all season, the effort is poor and inconsistent, the style of play is ineffective individual basketball, the fundaments are terrible, and the attendance understandably looks to be beginning to dwindle.  No coach needs 2-3 years to understand a team has to play D and rebound to be successful! My concern is this team's talent level may be our best for some time to come. After the season if I were in the administration, I would want coach to provide a very detailed action plan outlining how he can improve the program moving forward with specifics that can be communicated to the fan base, because what I'm seeing is a rapid decline of our program into the abyss of low major irrelevance. 

IMHO ORU basketball is better than this and not playing at all near our potential!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I give North Dakota credit: they led for the whole game, have won 9 out of 10 and are in first place in the Summit League.  They were 9th last year and Coach Paul Sauther turned things around.  Maybe Coach Springmann can do that next year.  The Hawks may be dancing into the NCAA tournament come March.

Well stated ORU40, I completely agree.  My fear is that this is more than just a temporary slump, we are actually regressing rapidly.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

Let’s have a little fun with this…….With all the ups and downs this season and the current run of the team being down, IF, ORU beats UND tonight I could see them winning the next thee games to finish out the regular season and then winning two games at the conference tourney but losing in championship game, but earning a CBI post season bid.

i know, crazy, right! Gotta stay positive I guess.

Or….they might just lose out and be one and done at conference tourney. 

• Upvote 2

Right now the Eagles would play South Dakota in the 8 vs 9 matchup on Friday night in the tournament.  So, they should have a chance to win that one.

I hope the Eagles can learn from a lot of teams in the league who have found 6'6 to 6'9 type players that can handle the ball, drive, shoot 3s and rebound.  UND has a boat load of guys that can do that.  When ORU is trying to box out with 6'2 players vs the Hawks 6'8 guys it just does not work.  It seemed ORU was giving up size and length at every position and that will get you beat 9 out of 10 times.  

Plus Kareem at 6'5 is trying to drive on and overpower guys much stronger and bigger than him.  It just does not work.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Coach did not come into a situation where the cupboard was bare, he has 3 solid vets and 2 of them are considered top 10 players in the league.

This is the issue.

There’s really not an excuse for this roster to be one of the two worst teams in the conference.

This is basically throwing away all the building Mills did over seven years out the window and starting at ground zero.

17 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

My concern is this team's talent level may be our best for some time to come.

I think that’s a given at this point. There just aren’t as many offers out there.

• Upvote 2

ORU lost a lot of talent last year including 4 of their top 6 guys which was: 53 points, 22 rebounds and 8 assists per game.  The Eagles returned: 31 points, 13 rebounds, and 7 assists.  That usually equals a rebuild unless you are Duke, Kansas or Kentucky and can just go and find whoever you want.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU lost a lot of talent last year including 4 of their top 6 guys which was: 53 points, 22 rebounds and 8 assists per game.  The Eagles returned: 31 points, 13 rebounds, and 7 assists.  That usually equals a rebuild unless you are Duke, Kansas or Kentucky and can just go and find whoever you want.

I don’t think anyone was expecting ORU to go undefeated again, compete for 1st place in the Summit, or make the tournament.

Not being competitive or even fundamentally sound with a roster of players that have won in the past is something else. 

• Upvote 5

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

• Like 2

If you listened to Coach Springmann on the post game show, he had just about lost his voice.  So I imagine the guys got some good discipline tonight in the locker room.  He said that when you fail to stay in front of your man on defense, do not rebound or execute on offense then you lose.  He sounds like he is focused on the fundamentals but the guys just do not seem to get it.

4 games out of 1st place.

2.5 games out of 3rd place. 

A road win at Omaha would set up a nice run to end conference and get some momentum heading into Sioux Falls. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

If you listened to Coach Springmann on the post game show, he had just about lost his voice.  So I imagine the guys got some good discipline tonight in the locker room.  He said that when you fail to stay in front of your man on defense, do not rebound or execute on offense then you lose.  He sounds like he is focused on the fundamentals but the guys just do not seem to get it.

I don’t quite get the “they’re not listening” or “don’t get it” idea. Anyone who is playing D1 basketball has likely played 8+ years of organized basketball, MANY of them their whole lives. We are not talking about middle schoolers, they KNOW the fundamentals, they just are not doing them or therefore not being held accountable(that we can see at least). I can still hear my high school coach yelling “force left, box out, pass and cut” from 17 years ago. When I played those things were engrained in my mind, I knew what coach wanted. He wasn’t afraid to bench our star if they were off. I don’t know what is “in their mind” as they play. I hope and honestly feel like coach can turn it around, but let’s call a spade a spade, this current team has not been coached “up”.

• Like 1

The level of saccharine sunshine-pumping even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary would be impressive if it wasn’t so baseless. 

I guess we’re just supposed to believe the company line as opposed to our lying eyes.

Hard Truth:  there’s a greater chance of ORU losing out to end the season than winning more than one game the rest of the way.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The level of saccharine sunshine-pumping even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary would be impressive if it wasn’t so baseless. 

I guess we’re just supposed to believe the company line as opposed to our lying eyes.

Hard Truth:  there’s a greater chance of ORU losing out to end the season than winning more than one game the rest of the way.

To put a positive spin to the "Hard Truth", we have the potential of a day off before we play three games in a row to win the tournament (and probably another play-in game). 🤷‍♂️😀  

How's that for saccharine sunshine-pumping??? 🤣🤣

Worst four game stretch in years. Let's face it....ORU isn't going to win another game...this team is cooked....😪

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Worst four game stretch in years. Let's face it....ORU isn't going to win another game...this team is cooked....😪

Oh, I suppose it’s possible ORU could suddenly learn how to rebound, defend the paint, find easier shots, and stop making silly passes. 

I’m just stumped to imagine where such improvement would emanate following this most recent 80 minutes of shockingly bad basketball at the Mabee Center.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Zero chance.....🫣

This video from July may be coming back to bite us. Several of you voiced concerns about it at the time and you were right. I believe the context was that the guys were tired and needed a break , so a day or two was taken off. I’m guessing some of our competition was not taking days off in July.

I'm not attacking our coach, he is new and has to figure things out like any person at a new position would. I don’t want Paul Mills lite, I want Russel Springmann. I think coach will find himself and realize that what worked for Mills won’t work for him and that is entirely acceptable. Springmann has worked his entire career with elite basketball minds. He is the right man for the job. 

Next year has the potential to be a very, very tough year depending on who leaves and who comes into the program.  The silver lining is that the team that tore us apart last night was very young last year and didn’t win a lot of games but their core is young and they could be a force for a long time now. 

One of my biggest concerns is losing the crowds at the Mabee. I drove down to Tulsa last year to watch ORU beat NDSU and seeing 8k+ fans in the arena was phenomenal and so fun to be apart of.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1