Evansville Purple Aces at ORU

Otis 83

Opening day is tomorrow with the Purple Aces coming to town for a 3 game series.  No one on either team was born when these two teams battled in the Midwestern City Conference but old timers like myself remember those days.  The Purple Aces are picked to finish in 3rd place in the MVC pre-season which is where they finished last year.  

There is some talent on their roster.  First Baseman Chase Hug made D1baseball.com's Top 50 First Basemen list, #29, and also made the pre-season All-MVC Baseball Team.  Last season, Hug was an All MVC selection and was named to to the MVC All Defensive Team and MVC All Tournament Team. He seems to be solid in the field and at the plate.

Shortstop Simon Scherry also made the D1baseball.com top 50 list at his position (#22).  

I can't find any game notes yet and haven't taken the time to sort through their pitching staff.  

As @Old Titanpoints out in a different thread (why there? 🤣) the weather could be a little dicey tomorrow with temps in the mid 40's and a chance of rain.  No rain in the forecast on Saturday but temps don't warm up until Sunday.  

I will be tuned in to the Summit League Network and hope to see the Golden Eagles open the season with a home series sweep!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Opening day is tomorrow with the Purple Aces coming to town for a 3 game series.  No one on either team was born when these two teams battled in the Midwestern City Conference but old timers like myself remember those days.  The Purple Aces are picked to finish in 3rd place in the MVC pre-season which is where they finished last year.  

There is some talent on their roster.  First Baseman Chase Hug made D1baseball.com's Top 50 First Basemen list, #29, and also made the pre-season All-MVC Baseball Team.  Last season, Hug was an All MVC selection and was named to to the MVC All Defensive Team and MVC All Tournament Team. He seems to be solid in the field and at the plate.

Shortstop Simon Scherry also made the D1baseball.com top 50 list at his position (#22).  

I can't find any game notes yet and haven't taken the time to sort through their pitching staff.  

As @Old Titanpoints out in a different thread (why there? 🤣) the weather could be a little dicey tomorrow with temps in the mid 40's and a chance of rain.  No rain in the forecast on Saturday but temps don't warm up until Sunday.  

I will be tuned in to the Summit League Network and hope to see the Golden Eagles open the season with a home series sweep!

You beat me to it on this post, and your preview is a lot better than I had so far.

ORU is 26-4 all-time vs. the Purple Aces, with all 30 meetings falling between 1981-1987 in Midwestern Cities/Collegiate Conference play.

Seems like only yesterday that MLB All-Star Andy Benes was mowing down college hitters for the Aces on his way to being named College Player of the Year in 1987.

Now, it's been THIRTY-SEVEN YEARS since these two programs have faced off. 

Man, that makes me feel old...  

Old Man Baseball GIF by Bemidji State Beavers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chance of rain for this afternoon at JLJ has dropped to 15% but isn't going to be any warmer with temperatures expected to be in the low 40's.  Tomorrow's forecast is almost identical so I expect the players will just bundle up and get after it.  I wonder if any of the players have the baseball cap with ear flaps.  Elvis Andrus used to sport that look when the Rangers played cold weather games.

Speaking of Elvis, the Texas Rangers are your defending World Series Champions in case any of you forgot. Oops...off topic.

• Upvote 1

...and on a side note:  which of these two programs facing off today do we find the more annoying?

• Haha 1

I'm going with the Ducks in a photo finish.

After experiencing their "hospitality" in the Super Regional - it has to be the Ducks.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget the Ducks' coach's complete disregard for the arm health of his pitching staff.

Cade Denton joins Adam in the booth!

Drew Stahl gives the Golden Eagles the lead 4-3 with the first home run of the year!

Jakob Hall has settled down after giving up 3 in the first and has put together 2 3 up 3 down innings.  

Good game and win on opening day! I think this will be a fun team to watch. 

… the sun came out today.

image.thumb.jpeg.ee6edc5e5a629fae5600cb2cb2c7a51e.jpeg

and the Eagles won!

image.thumb.jpeg.af9b01c0d47dd579ef9078b5cc9c1d01.jpeg

1 hour ago, eagle88 said:

Good game and win on opening day! I think this will be a fun team to watch. 

Definitely. Showed a lot of grit today. 

• Upvote 1

Always nice to start the season 1-0....would be nice to get at least 2 of 3 this opening weekend against a decent Evansville team....what happened with Jakob Hall? Not a very good start for our #1 guy....maybe he doesn't like the cold weather....Issacs also disappointing.....hopefully some better performances on the mound today...at least Patton finished the game up strong....guess he is our new closer.....:tb-white:

Lots of wind to go with the cold yesterday.  I think that affected the pitching for both sides.

• Upvote 2

I wonder if someone can communicate to the student television production team (I assume it is student run), that the director needs to keep the action on the screen. I'm sure they will improve as the season goes on. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, dave said:

I wonder if someone can communicate to the student television production team (I assume it is student run), that the director needs to keep the action on the screen. I'm sure they will improve as the season goes on. 

I thought the same thing Dave.  More than once, they were following the runner going to first rather than the ball to the outfielder who was attempting to catch the ball for the out.  I'm pretty sure we had the score and strikes and balls on the screen last year so hopefully that will be back soon.  All first world problems, I'm grateful to be able to watch the games.  My feed was pretty crisp yesterday as I switched among several different devices.

I see that @Old Titan took to Twitter with some feedback.  Atta boy!

My observations are the same, Otis83. Indeed, first world problems. I was typing when the catch was made in left. Did they capture it on screen? 

7 minutes ago, dave said:

My observations are the same, Otis83. Indeed, first world problems. I was typing when the catch was made in left. Did they capture it on screen? 

I was referring to yesterday.  I haven't been able to turn the game on yet today.