NDSU at ORU

theeagleman5

Good analysis. Not sure why we aren’t doing most (all?) of this. 

I’m amazed that McBride continues to play 40 minutes a game. Can the coaches not see that he is physically (and mentally) fatigued? That’s why he dribbled the ball off his leg at the end of the first half. We don’t have a true point guard except Amboree - who rarely plays. Hard to play him now after a season of watching from the bench. We should have played him (and others) earlier in the year.

Not sure why we aren’t running any offense. Way too much dribbling and then driving to the basket to either take heavily contested shots or get stuck under the basket with limited options. Not a fan of one on one basketball. Our offense, such as it is, is very predictable and easy to guard. 

Our lack of effort in games is puzzling. Why do the guys seem to be listless/without energy during games at times? Is that something the coaches can fix? I would play the guys on the bench - but what do I know?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

TheEagleman is also starting to wonder about the coaches....is it coaching or players?.....can't say....a little of both I guess? 😬

11 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is also starting to wonder about the coaches....is it coaching or players?.....can't say....a little of both I guess? 😬

The buck stops with the head coach. The HC builds the roster, he runs practice and determines style of play, he decides who plays, and if they aren't listening to him...why are they playing? 

Basketball teams are ultimately measured by wins & losses, but INMO the next most important measure is improvement, is the team improving? The answer to this year's Eagles to me is NO we are not improving. We have the same glaring deficiencies in our play in game 25 that we had in game 1! No D, poor rebounding, can't set a screen, stupid fouls, one on one offense! Can anyone point out something we do better now than we did at the start of the season? 

The coach gets the credit when the team is winning, he has to take the blame when they aren't!  

• Upvote 5

ORU has three guards that have played well all year: McBride, Thompson, and Bedford.  The rest of the team has struggled.  How does DJ put up 32 on SDSU and since then is averaging 6 points a game?  The guy has played in 150 games and still he just disappears for multiple contests.  

Springmann is learning what does not work and it will probaly take him about 2-3 years to figure things out.  I think the most disappointing thing about the season is that ORU has been so successful, a mid major darling, and now they are basically back to ground zero again.  How fast success fades in the college basketball world!

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

The buck stops with the head coach. The HC builds the roster, he runs practice and determines style of play, he decides who plays, and if they aren't listening to him...why are they playing? 

Basketball teams are ultimately measured by wins & losses, but INMO the next most important measure is improvement, is the team improving? The answer to this year's Eagles to me is NO we are not improving. We have the same glaring deficiencies in our play in game 25 that we had in game 1! No D, poor rebounding, can't set a screen, stupid fouls, one on one offense! Can anyone point out something we do better now than we did at the start of the season? 

The coach gets the credit when the team is winning, he has to take the blame when they aren't!  

Edited by 2014Grad

2-3 Years? HCRS will be fired long before then if his guys don't figure it out. 😬

• Upvote 1

To clarify....TheEagleman loves Coach Springmann and do NOT want him fired....agree he needs a couple more years to right the ship which was kind of left bare when Paul Mills left...losing Max, Connor and Mwamba really hurt....yeah i am disappointed but not shocked we are below .500.....just thought we would see more hustle and drive from a team that includes leaders like McBride, Thompson and Weaver....I have no explanations for the inconsistent play.....saw a lot of the same stuff at Rider last night...the home team sleepwalked thru the first 30 minutes vs. a mediocre Mt. St. Mary's team then turned on the press defense got some TO's and turned a 13 point deficit into a 4 point win.....hoping that ORU will rebound at home tonight vs. a good UND team but one we should take at Mabee Center....so let's do it....will HCRS show up for his radio show tonight?  Keep TheEagleman posted....:tb-blue:

16 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

2-3 Years? HCRS will be fired long before then if his guys don't figure it out. 😬

Maybe when Oral was there but not now.

NDSU led Denver 52-32 and lost by 6 today!  It will be interesting to see how the Bison handles this kind of melt down going forward. Bruener had 41 points and was on fire in the second half.

16 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

NDSU led Denver 52-32 and lost by 6 today!  It will be interesting to see how the Bison handles this kind of melt down going forward. Bruener had 41 points and was on fire in the second half.

Wow!!!