Barry Hinson....

ORUTerry

The natives are restless in Springfield after Missouri State loses to Evansville on the road 56 to 63. The game apparently hinged on a disparity in free throws: Evansville shot 30 (made 21) and Missouri State shot 9 (made 6). Funny how those kinds of things happen on the road.

The message boards are screaming for Barry's head - especially since Missouri State beat the Aces by 52(!) just a couple of weeks ago in Springfield. Hinson might be on the hot seat if the Bears don't make the NCAA's this year. I hope Sutton sees this and understands that the grass is not always greener - though your wallet might be.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• oruvoice

• ORU Eli

If I were Barry Hinson I would dump that job, shake the dust off my feet, and never look back.  They have got to be some of the most demanding fans I've ever seen.  They have made his life miserable ever since he got there.  The man's got to have unbelievably thick skin (I'm sure that the paycheck helps thicken the skin quite a bit!).

Man I agree. I don't even know the situation very well, nor could I pick Barry out of a lineup having not become an ORU fan until '99 but just from what I've heard he's probably better off getting out of that job. Early in the season I was hearing some top 25 talk and positive reports about his team...sounds like they've hit some bumps in the road but that's no reason to scream for his head. Obviously he can put together some good teams that compete in arguably the best mid-major conference there is. Maybe he can get out of there and look for a Conference USA or lower tier Big 12 type job.

Believe it or not, SCOTT SUTTON was actually mentioned (message board talk, remember) as a possible replacement!  Little do they know, the screaming fans have made that job pretty undesirable to anybody familiar with the situation. 

The suggestion was promptly squelched by more "level" heads, however.

I know I am in the minority, but I have no sympathy for Barry. He was here two years and bolted for the first job that would get him out of ORU. In my opinion, ORU fans have zero allegiance to the guy. He is not an ORU guy. He rode Bill Self's coat tails to the ORU head job. After two very mediocre years as head coach at ORU, he got out of here ASAP.

He got his "step-up" in conference and in salary. With that comes a step up in expectations and pressure. And the fact remains, he's been there 8 years and they have ZERO NCAA tourney appearances. That record speaks for itself.

I understand where your coming from, voice, but I gotta admit, I don't feel the way you do.  Barry was a nice guy and he had good rapport with fans. But he wasn't an ORU guy, on that you are right. 

Like Self, he was interested in coaching as a career, not ORU as a career.  He hadn't recruited well, I think he knew it, and figured he needed to take the opportunity to move up when it was offered, or it could be several more years before he got that chance again. He left the cupboard pretty bare for Scott Sutton when he took over, and that situation took Scott years to overcome.

Even so, I have no ill will for the guy.  He's dealing with some of the most rabid fans I've ever seen.  They have called for his head almost from day one.  They seem to think it's their birthright to be in the NCAA Tournament every year.  I can point you to current posts on their board that state as much.  On that count, TWICE he's had the highest (or is it lowest - Old Titan, help me out here) RPI not to be in the tournament.  Last year they had an RPI of TWENTY ONE, for crying out loud, and didn't make it in.  That was the highest RPI EVER IN THE HISTORY OF RPI not to make it into the tournament.  Knowledgeable fans would know that it was the system, not their coach, that kept them out of the tournament.

So I have no problems with Barry.  I used to towards Bill Self, but I don't any more.  Those guys looked at ORU as a place to get a foot-hold in D1 coaching.  Like you said, they weren't ORU guys.  But things work together for good, because now I feel like we've got ORU guys in there.  That's not to say that we might not find ourselves with new coaches next season, but even if we did I think Scott Sutton and crew have been loyal to the University and loyal to it's mission for eight years.  As you know, they are the longest tenured coaching staff in D1.  We've got ORU guys at the head coaching position, and ORU guys as assistants.  It's really a better situation than if Barry would have stayed.

...TWICE he's had the highest (or is it lowest - Old Titan, help me out here) RPI not to be in the tournament.

Not quite sure why you thought I might be knowledgable in this regard - my only true experience in rankings involve local burger joints and my own cholesterol.  I personally consider RPI rankings the same way I do rankings in the national polls:  a #1 is a HIGH ranking, a #21 is a LOWER ranking.  But then again, I tend to say "please turn the air conditioning up" when I'm too cold, so what do I know?

BTW, I think Barry broke his own previous record of "Highest-RPI-To-Not-Get-An-At-Large-Bid" when they got snubbed last year at #21.  If I'm not mistaken, I think they had something like a #38 RPI either one or two years before that was the PREVIOUS record in futility.  So he's a back-to-back record holder!  May be safe to say the #21 is a standard that might never be broken - how does THAT sort of distinction look on one's resume?

Not quite sure why you thought I might be knowledgable in this regard -

I was thinking you set me straight on this once before, but I couldn't remember what you'd said, and I didn't want to have to look it up.  Maybe it wasn't you!

Guest Rob Marshall

Not quite sure why you thought I might be knowledgable in this regard - my only true experience in rankings involve local burger joints and my own cholesterol.  I personally consider RPI rankings the same way I do rankings in the national polls:  a #1 is a HIGH ranking, a #21 is a LOWER ranking.  But then again, I tend to say "please turn the air conditioning up" when I'm too cold, so what do I know?

BTW, I think Barry broke his own previous record of "Highest-RPI-To-Not-Get-An-At-Large-Bid" when they got snubbed last year at #21.  If I'm not mistaken, I think they had something like a #38 RPI either one or two years before that was the PREVIOUS record in futility.  So he's a back-to-back record holder!  May be safe to say the #21 is a standard that might never be broken - how does THAT sort of distinction look on one's resume?

The Bears were 34 his first year at SMS and you're right Barry owns the highest RPI index scores NOT to make the field of sixty-four.  Lots of teams (and coaches) get snubbed every year whether it involves making the tournament field or the seeding you get when you're in (NOTE:  ORU's 16 seed last season).  Bottom line, I guess Buzz Peterson's looking smarter and smarter for dissing SMS and waiting for Self to leave so he could come to Tulsa for one (1) season.  He won 26 games and the NIT post-season tournament during his nine months in T-town and bolted for millions in Knoxville.  Things didn't work out too well for BP as a Volunteer other than he's now a solid millionaire at a young age and back coaching at Coastal Carolina where he won 20 games last season and has won 11 games to date this year.

Guest Rob Marshall

I know I am in the minority, but I have no sympathy for Barry. He was here two years and bolted for the first job that would get him out of ORU. In my opinion, ORU fans have zero allegiance to the guy. He is not an ORU guy. He rode Bill Self's coat tails to the ORU head job. After two very mediocre years as head coach at ORU, he got out of here ASAP.

He got his "step-up" in conference and in salary. With that comes a step up in expectations and pressure. And the fact remains, he's been there 8 years and they have ZERO NCAA tourney appearances. That record speaks for itself.

If winning 26 games and a share of the Mid Con regular season championship is "mediocre" Mike, how do you define ORU's level of success in the eight seasons since Hinson left?  Seven (7) years of mediocrity or below and one season of success (2005-06)?  You really can't compare apples to apples in looking at the Mid Con vs. the Valley, agree?  The Bears have been jobbed twice (2) on NCAA tournament appearances during Barry's tenure and arguably could have been invited another year too.

And Mike, being the insider that you are, you understand why Hinson left ORU, and it's NOT because he didn't like ORU or wasn't an "ORU guy" as you're trying to paint him out to be.  As much as Barry was hired by Bill Self (and on his coat tails), he was hired by Richard Roberts as ORU's "head coach designate" and Self's top assistant when Bill came to ORU.  They were introduced together at the press conference and both interviewed with the hiring committee.  Barry actually really likes ORU and the Roberts family, he still cheers for ORU to win every game.

What is it with those Minyards and their Steak and Shake?? MM had me believing S&S was the promised land or something when it came to burgers...I got two words for ya: SON IC. Less money for more better tasting food.

Guest Rob Marshall

I understand where your coming from, voice, but I gotta admit, I don't feel the way you do.  Barry was a nice guy and he had good rapport with fans. But he wasn't an ORU guy, on that you are right. 

Like Self, he was interested in coaching as a career, not ORU as a career.  He hadn't recruited well, I think he knew it, and figured he needed to take the opportunity to move up when it was offered, or it could be several more years before he got that chance again. He left the cupboard pretty bare for Scott Sutton when he took over, and that situation took Scott years to overcome.

Even so, I have no ill will for the guy.  He's dealing with some of the most rabid fans I've ever seen.  They have called for his head almost from day one.  They seem to think it's their birthright to be in the NCAA Tournament every year.  I can point you to current posts on their board that state as much.  On that count, TWICE he's had the highest (or is it lowest - Old Titan, help me out here) RPI not to be in the tournament.  Last year they had an RPI of TWENTY ONE, for crying out loud, and didn't make it in.  That was the highest RPI EVER IN THE HISTORY OF RPI not to make it into the tournament.  Knowledgeable fans would know that it was the system, not their coach, that kept them out of the tournament.

So I have no problems with Barry.  I used to towards Bill Self, but I don't any more.  Those guys looked at ORU as a place to get a foot-hold in D1 coaching.  Like you said, they weren't ORU guys.  But things work together for good, because now I feel like we've got ORU guys in there.  That's not to say that we might not find ourselves with new coaches next season, but even if we did I think Scott Sutton and crew have been loyal to the University and loyal to it's mission for eight years.  As you know, they are the longest tenured coaching staff in D1.  We've got ORU guys at the head coaching position, and ORU guys as assistants.  It's really a better situation than if Barry would have stayed.

Guys, you can say Barry wasn't an "ORU guy" but then IMO you have to say that about Scott and his staff too.  Sure, Scott & Co. have been at ORU longer, BUT have they had an opportunity to go somewhere BETTER than ORU during their respective tenures?  Scott could have gone to TU with Self in a non-recruiting assistant coaching role, but he chose to stay for a "higher" assistant coaching position at ORU and a quicker path to being a head coach.  Scott didn't leave with Barry because he got to be the next ORU head coach and Hankins has stayed to position himself similarly to Scott.  Now, I'm absolutely not saying any of these guys don't like ORU, because I know for a fact they all like it at ORU.  However, you're kidding yourself if you believe any or all of them will stay at ORU when a BETTER opportunity presents itself.

When you say "ORU guy," what exactly do you mean?  What does an "ORU guy" look like?  Is he an ORU graduate?  Is he a charismatic Christian who speaks in tongues and believes in the seed faith message?  Does he cringe at the thought of drinking a beer or other alcoholic beverage?  What is an "ORU guy"???

Guest Rob Marshall

What is it with those Minyards and their Steak and Shake?? MM had me believing S&S was the promised land or something when it came to burgers...I got two words for ya: SON IC. Less money for more better tasting food.

Steak & Shake is fantastic "fast" food, but agreed it is very expensive.  The shakes are way better than Sonic and the burgers and fries are terrific too ... if you're not on a diet that is!  :wink:

Steak & Shake is fantastic "fast" food, but agreed it is very expensive.  The shakes are way better than Sonic and the burgers and fries are terrific too ... if you're not on a diet that is!   :wink:

I thought you had more class than that Rob. No cussing on the message board. Any usage of the 'D' word is strongly discouraged.

Yes some of our fans have been a little to quick to want Barry out. I have been a big Barry fan but 8years and no NCAA's is to long. The MVC can get at large bids so its not like he has just had bad luck and not won the MVC tourny. This is the most talent we have ever had and the same things happen every single year. We start out great and look to have a good chance to do good in the MVC then we go through a January lull that kills us every year. This team is built to run, run, and run some more and we play to those strengths at the start of the year and once something gets a little hard he switchs to a slow down defensive game plan.

Eville game one- we run, run, run and win 106-to 50 something

Eville game two- we slow down, we lose and only score in the 50's

This is why we lost the SLU game too, he slowed the pase down and this team cant play like that. This happens every year. Its time for a change. Like only one other team hasnt been the the NCAA's in the Valley in Barry's 8 years. This isnt to high of expectations, we have a much better program then to be lumped in that group. Yes we got snubed last year but still almost doesnt count. Barry said that we didnt need to win the first game of the Valley tourny to make the NCAA's, guess what we lost and didnt get in. You win that game and we go. This is another reason fans are getting tired of it. He says stupid stuff like that. I could go on and on. I like the guy, he is very nice and a good family man and I wish it could work out but I just dont see it working.