Denver at ORU

theeagleman5

Denver likes to shoot three pointers and leads the league in assists (+15 per game). They also shoot a lot of free throws. Denver plays at a fast pace with lots of ball movement. I suspect they are good at driving the lane and either scoring/getting fouled or kicking out for a 3-pt shot. The Pioneers have hit a shooting slump over the last couple of games. Let’s hope they continue that because they can be really tough when they are making shots. 

16 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Can we get Mid court Max in the Hall of Fame?  What is taking ORU so long!Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

They have to be 5 years out to qualify.

And let’s see if last night’s earthquake will shake this team up a bit. 5.1 on the Richter scale. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Denver likes to shoot three pointers and leads the league in assists (+15 per game). They also shoot a lot of free throws. Denver plays at a fast pace with lots of ball movement. I suspect they are good at driving the lane and either scoring/getting fouled or kicking out for a 3-pt shot. The Pioneers have hit a shooting slump over the last couple of games. Let’s hope they continue that because they can be really tough when they are making shots. 

That is exactly what I was talking about in an earlier post. You just said it much better ORUTerry. Eagles better have their feet movin' and their hind ends blocking out or they could see themselves playing catch up all night. C'mon Eagles, turn up the heat and send Denver packin'. 

• Like 1

It would be nice if the scoreboard was working tonight. I have no idea what the score is. 
And the app doesn’t work. 

live stats are working in the ORU Athletics app. 

Can't figure out if we played down to Denver's competition tonight or if the Pioneers are a really tough, gritty team that gave us all we can handle.

• Upvote 1

Wild game, up and down, rollor coaster ride but somehow ORU wins.  Great play by Herron with about 90 seconds to go causing a turnover and then scoring on the offensive end.  He was clutch!

Trey cool as ice comes off the bench and drains the 2 free throws.  He may not play a lot or put up big numbers but Trey seems in various ways to help ORU win.

• Upvote 1

That was just a weird night all around. Scoreboard problems, game clock issues, extended official time outs…
First 5 min of the game were amazing, first five minutes of the 2nd half were disastrous. 

Denver was very thuggish.

I congratulated Coach Springmann walking out and commented on what a strange night it was. He made on comment lamenting the inconsistencies in officiating. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ORU trailed 58-51 and Springmann got the technical, which seemed to wake up the Eagles as they finished on a 31-18 run.  Every game in this league is a battle!

Denver threw different defenses at ORU: including the zone that seemed to slow ORU down.  I do not think Coach expected the Pioneers to put the zone in tonight.

• Like 3

Wild game....Good Guys blow 16 point first half lead and Pioneers blow 10 point 2nd half lead....34 for McBride. ORU back in the top half of the Summit League with St. Thomas and SDSU coming up....how did the '81 Golf team look??? :circle-logoi:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Bedford gets called for a phantom foul on an offensive rebound. Just another Saturday night in Tulsa in the Summit League. 

• Haha 1

ORU did win the rebounding battle, which has not happened many times this year. Josh Jones was tough and came up with 6 boards.

It was a team win, with many guys chipping in: Herron with a career high on 7-7 shooting, Kareem with 7 assists, and Bedford with 9 rebounds.  As good as McBride was, with also a career high, it still takes a strong group effort to win these battles.  Eagles win 3 in a row on the home stand and have some momentum heading into a tough road trip.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU trailed 58-51 and Springmann got the technical, which seemed to wake up the Eagles as they finished on a 31-18 run.  Every game in this league is a battle!

Denver threw different defenses at ORU: including the zone that seemed to slow ORU down.  I do not think Coach expected the Pioneers to put the zone in tonight.

I like a fired up Coach! Let’s Go!!!!

1 hour ago, dave said:

Can't figure out if we played down to Denver's competition tonight or if the Pioneers are a really tough, gritty team that gave us all we can handle.

A win is a win. The key is we are at .500 and doing what it takes to fight and work to win games. Let’s Go!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, titansforever said:

It would be nice if the scoreboard was working tonight. I have no idea what the score is. 
And the app doesn’t work. 

We observed the score boards in the two end zones. They were working. 

6,528 in attendance tonight....thats a fantastic number....meanwhile TU got walloped at FLA. Atlantic....gosh I love it so.....😍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ORU has had Denver's number, now winning 8 in a row vs the Pioneers.  Bruner got his 22 but the Eagles made life tough on him.  He only shot 33% percent from the field and had 8 turnovers.  The transfer from Utah, Jaxson Brenchly really hurt the Eagles.  He had a lay up line most of the second half and kept coming up with steals.  DJ did block a few of his shots at the end but for the most part had trouble stopping him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

6,528 in attendance tonight....thats a fantastic number....meanwhile TU got walloped at FLA. Atlantic....gosh I love it so.....😍

Mabee Center was rockin', especially during the closing minutes of the game. I especially enjoyed the crowd response to the prolonged official time out with late in the game. While the PA system blared "Narco" the crowd was on it's feet and clapped along. It really was an electric moment. The Denver team was standing around on the court wondering what was going on. 

8 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU has had Denver's number, now winning 8 in a row vs the Pioneers.  Bruner got his 22 but the Eagles made life tough on him.  He only shot 33% percent from the field and had 8 turnovers.  The transfer from Utah, Jaxson Brenchly really hurt the Eagles.  He had a lay up line most of the second half and kept coming up with steals.  DJ did block a few of his shots at the end but for the most part had trouble stopping him.

Seemed to me like Bruner was playing frustrated through much of the game. Maybe he plays that was all the time. He had an annoying habit of standing behind our shooter during free throws, and just before the shot stepping in front of the shooter in an apparent move to talk to the Denver players lined up along the key.

Brenchly was a challenge to contain - it felt like even more so than Bruner.

• Upvote 1

I was out of town and not able to watch the game but one observation from the box score: Miller played 18 minutes and was 0-2 on FGs, 0-2 on FTs, 1 rebound, 0 assists, 0 blocks, and 0 steals.  I do think Miller brings some defensive intensity off the bench but that isn’t much of a box score.

A friend of mine was complaining that Springmann seems to sub-in Miller to replace whatever ORU player has been playing well or shooting well.  It is like he subs out the hot-handed player and disrupts the team chemistry and doesn’t leave in the lineups that are playing well together.  I haven’t paid much attention to the timing of the player substitutions but will watch it more over the next few games.  Basically we have a 7-man rotation at this point.

Also, kudos to Herron for going 7 for 7 on FGs and scoring 14 points in 18 minutes.  That is an impressive and efficient performance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1