SDSU

Keenan Henderson

It was a very impressive win!  ORU led basically the whole game and often by double digits.  Yes, SDSU made their runs but it never really felt like the Eagles would lose.  A week ago I would have expected SDSU to be the one who led the whole game.   

Of course being at home really makes a huge difference.  Great turnout of around 7,000 last night for a 10-11 team.  Not many schools with a losing record can draw that kind of crowd at the mid major level.  Thanks to everyone who showed up to support the Eagles!

• Like 2

Almost 5,000 on Thurs evening and over 6900 last night....impressive crowds for a sub .500 team this season....Mabee Center should be rockin' for Denver next Saturday.... :circle-logoi:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Almost 5,000 on Thurs evening and over 6900 last night....impressive crowds for a sub .500 team this season....Mabee Center should be rockin' for Denver next Saturday.... :circle-logoi:

ORU has done well providing a great fan experience and they are not terrible. They still have lots of ball to play and can draw a good crowd.

Last 2 home games very entertaining... but ORU still a sub .500 team at 10-11. :circle-logoi:

13 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Last 2 home games very entertaining... but ORU still a sub .500 team at 10-11. :circle-logoi:

Hopefully they get enough wins to break the .500 mark and make a case to make a strong run in the post Season.

8 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

When Herron fouled out with about 1:20 in the game, SDSU’s coach (Henderson) stopped him, shook his hand and spoke to him. Herron looked a bit startled that an opposing coach would speak to him at that moment. Never saw that before. You usually wait until AFTER the game to speak with opposing players. 

Maybe coach Henderson hopes Herron will enter the transfer portal and this was his first pre-recruiting move.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dave Connor said:

Maybe coach Henderson hopes Herron will enter the transfer portal and this was his first pre-recruiting move.

I am reminded of the Nike campaign from two decades ago featuring a heralded NBA rookie named Lebron James:

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

The revised tagline for these strange times might go something like this:

THEY ARE ALL PROSPECTS 

• Haha 1

Anyone heard how long/ if at all, that Josh Jones will be out after hurting his leg on Saturday?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Anyone heard how long/ if at all, that Josh Jones will be out after hurting his leg on Saturday?

I'm sure it's "day-to-day" at the minimum and a "game=time decision".  No need to give the opponent any heads up as to what the game plan might be.  😀

I seriously wonder how one is supposed to play defense against a player who is allowed to lower his shoulder and bang into your chest repeatedly.  Is that really not a foul?  If so, I guess the answer is double team or more Smith.

For some reason I find it interesting that we have a Smith, Jones and Miller on the team.

At one point in the first half, I think the fouls were 10-4.  We could not breath on Mayo.  I do, however, think that some of the foul disparity is that we are just not very good at drawing fouls.  I think it would help McBride if he could figure out how to only fall down on a drive when he actually gets touched instead of every time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OKC Eagle said:

At one point in the first half, I think the fouls were 10-4.  We could not breath on Mayo.  I do, however, think that some of the foul disparity is that we are just not very good at drawing fouls.  I think it would help McBride if he could figure out how to only fall down on a drive when he actually gets touched instead of every time. 

We don't get inside enough. However, a number of times when we did and there was contact no foul was called. "Call it both ways" really did apply at times in that game.

• Like 1

SDSU got away with a bit of physical play. I noticed that their guards (Easley or Garry) went thru the middle of the lane and tangled up with Herron - an obvious moving screen. The result was an open lane for Appel.

• Like 1

Clearly all officials who come in to Mabee Center must be Atheists or Agnostics.....because ORU is always getting hosed....or maybe it's still the 900 foot Jesus thing.....OR didn't do us any favors with that......😉

• Haha 2

Yeah, it’s gotta be one of those reasons, it can’t be that ORU teams are typically not physical. 🫤

• Haha 2

I do not see an answer to my real question:  is it not a foul to lower your shoulder and forcibly initiate contact with the defender?  If it's not, I don't know how you defend it.  I also, then, don't know why we don't do it more.

This reminds me why I quit watching NBA all those years ago when Shaq could just bulldoze through the lane and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OKC Eagle said:

I do not see an answer to my real question:  is it not a foul to lower your shoulder and forcibly initiate contact with the defender?  If it's not, I don't know how you defend it.  I also, then, don't know why we don't do it more.

This reminds me why I quit watching NBA all those years ago when Shaq could just bulldoze through the lane and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Point of emphasis this season to favor the offensive player on drives because defenders have been sliding under and getting the charge calls for so long.

Personally, I think this a case of the pendulum swinging back too far in the other direction.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OKC Eagle said:

Technically, it doesn’t matter if the offensive player lowers their shoulder or not. If the defender has “legal guarding position,” then the offensive player is not allowed to displace them from their position. However, it is never officiated correctly, especially in the post. Sadly, basketball is too much about which team is bigger and stronger, and is less about which team is smarter and more skilled. 

I’ve seen a 6-8 post player this year who was probably at least 250lbs. The referees basically let him completely run over guys without any calls. However, if defense tried to do anything to try and block his shot they were called for a foul. I saw him play later in the weekend against Cascia Hall (who, by the way, have a couple of freshmen guards coach Springmann needs to keep an eye on). The player was allowed to keep moving defenders all around the post, but if they put up any resistance, they were called for a foul. It was frustrating to watch. Admittedly, high school officials are terrible because there’s a huge shortage of them. However, it seems like the same thing is allowed in college and the NBA. 

Talk about strange reffing.....Check out last nights' Big Ten match up between Purdue and Northwestern.....NW coach gets tossed in the final seconds of OT complaining about the officiating.....Boilers had 46 FTs and Wildcats 8.......largest disparity in the Big Ten conference in this century.....geez.....😬

• Upvote 2