SDSU

Keenan Henderson

Great win tonight for the Eagles! The team showed us tonight that they are capable of doing the things that it takes to win against a quality opponent like rebound and hustle! Moving forward there is no excuse not to do the things that we can control. We have too much talent to waste it. I love that Luke Appel did not have his way with us. Now that we are back on track let’s finish strong!

• Upvote 3

Really proud of DJ. He's been through so much, and I'm so happy for him and the team. The team is coming together and we saw what they're capable of doing. Building toward March, let's do this. 

Hope you guys watch the girls game tomorrow on national TV. They are so much fun to watch.

• Upvote 4

On 1/26/2024 at 7:50 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Jacks are likely to be favored on the road and ORU just won't be able to handle that front court under the boards....but Expect A Miracle!!! :circle-logoi:

Miracle delivered, eagleman!!!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Miracle delivered, eagleman!!!

Amen!

49 minutes ago, Sterns78 said:

Hope you guys watch the girls game tomorrow on national TV. They are so much fun to watch.

Yes they are. I watched the replay of their game at Omaha while I was waiting for those bozos at MidCo to put the men’s game on the Replay page 😡

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Thompson made some huge plays on the 50-50 balls at the end.  He just continues to make winning plays for 4 years.  DJ's biggest shot may have been that offensive rebound put back at the end.  He has also blocked 6 shots in the last 2 games.  I think it is safe to say the 6th year senior is finally healthy after struggling since the injury around the holidays. 

Another shout out to senior Trey P.  Good 3 and clutch free throw in the last few minutes.  Seniors step up big in Coach Springmann's biggest career win.  Go Eagles!

Actually, in the radio pregame health minute they said DJ tweaked his knee in practice, but was ready to play. In the postgame interview, coach Springmann said DJ was not feeling well physically. He also said that during a timeout, DJ asked to take a bench break, but Springmann said “No, this timeout is your break.” DJ’s response was “OKAY”.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

An amazing team effort especially in the first half. Thompson made a 3-pointer to start the half and McBride made the last basket in the half. Those were the only points scored by those two players in the first half. 

• Upvote 1

McBride showed a lot of maturity tonight.  His 3s were not falling and SDSU was keeping him out of the lane for the most part.  So he had 6 assists and 5 rebounds, plus hit the key free throws down the stretch.  That is winning basketball from the Eagles All-star.

DJ now up to 140 blocks for his career which is 5th all time passing DBH.  He has a good chance to catch Albert Owens who is in 3rd place.

Now the guys have a week to rest up and recover.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

• SDSU features a number of skills that are apparently coached year-in and year-out that are very hard to deal with:  they quickly (and successfully) jab you in the gut and ribs when you have the ball, they use multiple spin-&-duck-&-up-&-under moves in the post without walking, and they dig their shoulders into your body to get space on the drive.  They will always be a tough out with this coaching staff.

No travel? This guy's got a future in basketball, because that’s an NBA level travel with no call. (I recognize your comment intended to be facetious! 😉)

• Upvote 2

OT that was one of your best posts.  So many great points.  My favorite was DJ and the question about why we have only seen glimpses of his talent.  I still think it goes back to ORU playing small ball and forcing him to be a post player, from his 2nd season on, instead of a wing shooter.  At the end of the day, DJ is a streaky 3 point man.  When those are falling then the rest of his game picks up.

Side note: DJ hit 7 three's vs Omaha way back in his freshman season 12-30-18!

• Upvote 3

I think DJ has a beautiful, smooth jump shot. I love watching him shoot the ball, especially when it's going in the hoop. 

• Upvote 1

I did enjoy the jump ropers!  But probably not a good idea to throw the ducks during a timeout.😉

• Like 2

Brilliant post above by Old Titan. This guy belongs in the ORU HOF with his dad....just amazing and TheEagleman bows to the King....❤️

2 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

I did enjoy the jump ropers!  But probably not a good idea to throw the ducks during a timeout.😉

Another promo observation:  convince me otherwise that the Spirit Sprint was not intentionally delayed until the most important timeout of the night for SDSU with a minute to go to create a distraction.

Jacks head coach Eric Henderson was visibly annoyed by the lights being turned out and the music pumping while he was trying to draw up a game-saving play.

3 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

No travel? This guy's got a future in basketball, because that’s an NBA level travel with no call. (I recognize your comment intended to be facetious! 😉)

That’s not a walk, and a great example of what I was sincerely talking about:  the Dakota post men always have great footwork, which is a necessity since they are not always very athletic.

There was under 30 seconds left I think when the Spirit Sprint occurred.  That was very strange.  Not sure why a full TV timeout wasn’t called much earlier when there were several stoppages of play.

28 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

That’s not a walk, and a great example of what I was sincerely talking about:  the Dakota post men always have great footwork, which is a necessity since they are not always very athletic.

I watched it a few more times, and I regret to say YOU'RE RIGHT!!! You have no idea how it pains me to say that !!!😬

31 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

I watched it a few more times, and I regret to say YOU'RE RIGHT!!! You have no idea how it pains me to say that !!!😬

You and everybody else… 😘

• Haha 1

A few more observations (though OT covered most everything):

• I like that we opened the game’s first couple of possessions getting the ball inside to Herron. We had several nice interior plays to Herron & Jones during the game. Those guys are open on almost every pick & roll, but rarely get the ball. 
  • Thompson & McBride both had off nights shooting the ball (3/9 and 4-12 respectively). Pretty impressive that we could win without more production from those two. 
  • How about those refs? Not sure what they were doing with 3.8 seconds to go. McBride had been fouled by SDSU to stop the clock. Isaac was setting up to shoot free throws and the refs stopped play to review something (time?) at the scorer’s table - for about 4-5 minutes. At the end, nothing changed. 
  • When Herron fouled out with about 1:20 in the game, SDSU’s coach (Henderson) stopped him, shook his hand and spoke to him. Herron looked a bit startled that an opposing coach would speak to him at that moment. Never saw that before. You usually wait until AFTER the game to speak with opposing players.