Looking ahead to next season

eagle88

At this point it is hard to know what kind of players Coach Springman is looking for?  He seems to be looking harder at Juco players then ORU has in the past.  I think it is a good call.  Juco players are hit and miss like any level but usually they have a chip on their shoulder because they were often overlooked.  He needs guys that will play hard and not worry about their own personal stats.

At the end of the day, I think Coach will look for guys that are dogs: play tough defense, rebound and make the ugly/winning plays.  I do not think he will just try and out shoot or out talent teams as Mills often did.  ORU won so much and had a lot of success the last few years but this year lost its edge.  The coach will need to find guys who are desperate to win and get that edge back.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

TheEagleman is fine with most all of those players going.....hard to believe that Russ Springmann could be THAT bad as a HC with all his experience...guess it's possible but surely didn't see much heart/talent from the main  players this year and they failed to show up yesterday.....they flat out quit.....perhaps HCRS is a problem but TheEagleman is not astute enough to know.....big changes are needed....hopefully someone can figure it out or as pointed out ORU men's basketball will have darker days ahead....after 30-6 last season this is just incredible...maybe Mills made a deal with the devil before he left....can't say but I am greatly saddened over the past couple months..........😥

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is fine with most all of those players going.....hard to believe that Russ Springmann could be THAT bad as a HC with all his experience...guess it's possible but surely didn't see much heart/talent from the main  players this year and they failed to show up yesterday.....they flat out quit.....perhaps HCRS is a problem but TheEagleman is not astute enough to know.....big changes are needed....hopefully someone can figure it out or as pointed out ORU men's basketball will have darker days ahead....after 30-6 last season this is just incredible...maybe Mills made a deal with the devil before he left....can't say but I am greatly saddened over the past couple months..........😥

I think the proverbial saying “never lose twice with the same team” applies here. New life that will fight for each other and HCRS is a must! Coach Musick unloaded 10 players last year and it worked out well for her because she handpicked players that would play for her! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

88 makes a wonderful point...look at the ORU womens team and the amazing turnaround in just one year with a new coach who apparently just needed her own players....it often works that way in the business world as well....Springmann may just need to bring in some of his own guys and coach them up.....TheEagleman is hoping he can do it just like  Coach Musick did....🙏:tb-blue:🙏

• Upvote 3

This morning as I was perusing the ESPN basketball section I wandered  upon the summit league standings and it was surreal to see ORU in dead last place! Now that we are at rock bottom there is no other way to go but up or stay in last place. From a fan’s perspective this should make for an interesting and fun off season as we won’t just see a change or 2 but many major changes. Hopefully our NIL $ will increase so we can get some dogs who know how to win. My gut tells me that HCRS is a winner in every way and he will get it figured out and be backed by the administration to make this happen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t live in Tulsa, and it’s hard to see the bench from my somewhat non-legal streams I use to watch games 😅. What’s coaches demeanor like while on the bench/coaching during the past few months? Yelling, frustrated, positive, encouraging etc etc??

ORU has to find a starting big next year who can post up and rebound.  Herron, Jones, and Smith are ok coming off the bench but the Eagles desperately need a starting center from the portal, juco,etc.  Easier said than done because of course everybody in the nation wants one of those!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/7/2024 at 1:39 PM, Texasgrip said:

#tooearly

It's never too early grip, in fact the next few weeks and months may be the most important of HCRS career, The transfer portal opens in a week! This off season is critical for who we can keep and who we can bring in. No team stands still in college basketball, you either improve or you get worse! Coach had a tough first year on the court, let's hope he has a strong first recruiting class of his own.  Best case situation he has to replace DJ & KT, worst case Isaac and Bedford also leave! This offseason is crucial for the future of the program, do we get better moving forward? or do we get worse?  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

As ORU 40 stated this is a critical off season for HCRS. Not only does he need to recruit players that can help ORU compete for a conference title but the players have to have a good chemistry and fight for each other and for HCRS. This is clearly something they didn’t have this year. With all of Springman’s connections and years of recruiting if anybody can do it he certainly can. Since ORU is unlikely to get 4 or 5 star recruits the chemistry part may be the most important. My hope is just like we turned drastically in the wrong direction this past year hopefully  we will turn the other way this coming year. Unlike previous years when there was no portal we could actually have a huge turnaround in 1 year! Let’s hope and believe!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:47 AM, eagle88 said:

because she handpicked players that would play for her! 

More specifically, it is my understanding that she picked players that could play her system. I emphasize that because I feel that is crucial for any coach…get players that fit your style of play. Coach Musick has a system and she found players that are capable of playing in that system. 

Frankly, I don’t know what HCRS’s system or style of play is. I hope he has one. Okay that was unfair. 

I know the alternative is great coaches conform their style of play to the talent that they have. Like Coach Musick, HCRS has an opportunity to turn this roster over and make it in his own image. Should be interesting. 🍿 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Thank you TrueBlue 82 for expressing everyone's pain.  It is difficult to see ORU fall so fast.  We all love a rags to riches story but now it feels like the Eagles are going from riches to rags and no one likes that ending.  Springmann was put in a tough position: taking over for a 30 win team that lost 2 first team All stars and 2 really good glue guys.  He missed on some portal guys who could have stepped in and eased the pain.  Coach also admits he made mistakes this season and it showed that he was a first year head coach.  

The key point for Springmann is just to slowly rebuild and not stay at 12 wins every year.  I think a realistic goal is to win 15 next year, then 18 and 20.  Baby steps at this point.  I just think it will take a long process and it is hard to expect him to get back to what Mills did.