Looking ahead to next season

eagle88

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Max is making $300k at UT. I know everyone wants to think you shouldn’t have to break the bank for good players and that they should want to come to a school simply for a coach and a culture, but that’s not the reality.  Anyone that thinks McBride is not making the most NIL on this ORU team is living in la-la land also.

Is this 1rst hand knowledge and was told to you by Max or someone close as that would be a very big surprise if that is the case. The Orangeblood site and guys that would know said much closer to the $75K range. $300K would be a football player type of deal BUT if Max got that then that is a great thing for sure.

• Upvote 1

How about that South Dakota game? 🤣

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

If youre asking if his (or any players’) NIL is documented somewhere online, it’s not. But I know what All-Conference / POY players are going for out of the portal and what Big 12 teams can pay. And it’s much closer to $300k than it is to $100k. 

Can we have an "eyeroll" emoji added to the "Like" buttons?

Asking for a friend... 😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Can we have an "eyeroll" emoji added to the "Like" buttons?

Asking for a friend... 😉

Thanks OT. But I don't mind asking for that myself. 🤣

• Haha 3

Hey now I am ahead if you in line with my request for a thumbs down emoji last spring. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Hey now I am ahead if you in line with my request for a thumbs down emoji last spring. 

Agree, but I'm not sure if I should "like" or "upvote" this post....🤔

2 hours ago, ORob1 said:

Agree, but I'm not sure if I should "like" or "upvote" this post....🤔

That is always the question . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

That is always the question . . .

And when is it appropriate to say "Thanks?"  The "Thanks" emoji is a trophy which makes it appear you are giving the OP an award rather than appreciation.  Only four choices but so confusing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

And when is it appropriate to say "Thanks?"  The "Thanks" emoji is a trophy which makes it appear you are giving the OP an award rather than appreciation.  Only four choices but so confusing.

Or should I have responded with image.jpeg.ae10d9603781bf37f020dce6b6b25174.jpeg ???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Although I haven’t thrown in the towel just yet it is wadded up in my hand getting ready for a toss. Good teams are quickly identifying our weaknesses and exploiting them in a big time way. It has become more and more obvious that the loss of Max, Carlos, Connor and Patrick is affecting us big time. McBride has been rock solid all year and Kareem ,Bedford and Weaver have been good but other than that we have a lot of inconsistency . Our lack of rebounding is something that mediocre teams are guilty of and certainly shows lack of hustle and effort. I seriously wonder how much NIL $ players at St Thomas are making?  I can’t imagine they are making much which shows you don’t have to spend a fortune to get a good team. My gut tells me we will need to raise some $ to attract good players but Springman needs some key pieces next year to get back to the previous 3 years level. If our bigs can be developed to play consistently at a high level and then add a few key players that know how to win and who will fit into Springman’s system we should be fine. When you think that the average college team rotates 7-10 players and you lose 4 key players no  wonder we are struggling a bit. 

• Like 1

The Summit League does not have big NIL money to throw at players and it will most likely take teams a few years to get that point.  ORU still builds the same way they have for quite a while: find hidden gems from Texas (Bedford is an example).  Coach Springmann has a lot of connections in the state of Texas, as he was an assistant with the Longhorns for a long time.  He will find those overlooked high school or juco guys from Texas and develop them.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As long as Coach can find another 6'9 power forward who averages 26 points and 11 rebounds (Kevin Durant's first year at Texas).  Then ORU will just be fine next season!Kevin Durant Lol GIF by YES Network

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

As long as Coach can find another 6'9 power forward who averages 26 points and 11 rebounds (Kevin Durant's first year at Texas).  Then ORU will just be fine next season!Kevin Durant Lol GIF by YES Network

Those guys cost around $1 million per year in today's market.  Back in KD's day, Texas may not have been the winning bidder, even with the relationship that Russ and KD created.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

Those guys cost around $1 million per year in today's market.  Back in KD's day, Texas may not have been the winning bidder, even with the relationship that Russ and KD created.

To get superstars will no doubt cost a fortune and that probably won't happen at ORU. I believe ORU will find the right balance. Think about this , ORU went toe to toe with Texas Tech, K State and Texas A+M and considering  how much these schools spent in NIL $ compared to us we did pretty good!  Just because a school spends a fortune on NIL deals doesn't guarantee a championship team. Finding the diamonds in the rough and developing players will be huge for us. Then add the intangibles like a coach who is honest and ethical, one who knows how to motivate their players and keep egos in check so they fight and play together as a team. $ can buy a team talent but not necessarily the intangibles. As long as we raise enough $ and keep our core values pure we should be fine.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Several have posted that BIG changes are needed this off season, the only big change options are coach and players. It appears most still have confidence in coach, so he'll be back. We may change an asst coach, but players don't come to a school, or leave because of an asst coach, they develop the initial relationship, but the head guy is who makes or breaks the deal. That leaves player changes; we know DJ and Kareem are out of eligibility, that leaves 2 starter positions to fill. Isaac and Bedford are the big question marks, if we lose one or both the task of replacing 3-4 starters is a BIG problem. This year's team lost a lot of the previous season, but still had 3 veterans we knew could play and Bedford was a very pleasant surprise. If we lose Bedford and Isaac next year could be very challenging as its reasonable to get a good player in the portal, or to get a guy that is surprise and plays better than expected like Bedford but getting 4 is unlikely.   Most first-year guys in a program need a year or 2 like Herron or Jones.

It seems to me coach's first and most important job is getting a fence up around the guys he wants back, he has to keep Isaac and Bedford and then work the portal and jucos. It's going to be a lot tougher to recruit after an 11-win year as opposed to 2 NCAA tourneys in 3 years. Coach has a crucial off season that could determine the future direction of the program for some time ahead of him. HCRS has waited a long time to be a head coach, now is his opportunity to make the team his own.  Go get'em coach!   

I would think the head coach would get at least 3 years as pretty costly to fire him and assistant coaches and hire brand new staff. If he loses Bedford and Isaac before next season it could be a very long year. Not that this year has not been. Sometimes going from the main recruiter to the head coach can be a tough transition with some growing pains. 

To have to get 3 or 4 impact guys that can just step right in and play is not ideal for any school. Maybe get a couple of Jucos that can step in and play. It makes it harder now where kids can just go school to school without sitting for a year. 

Tulsa will go through the same type of thing this off season as bad team but with a very good freshman in PJ Haggerty. The big schools will be circling as soon as season over with NIL offers. Can Tulsa keep him? If not they will be in for another very long season. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

It’s hard to see where things turn, as neither players or coaching staff have given us much to be hopeful about for next year. Sometimes great players can cover mediocre coaching, and great coaches can build up average players. We haven't seen either this year. If I’m an athlete in the portal I’m looking elsewhere(unless God tells me to lol). I agree Springmann should get a few years to prove himself, this may be the biggest summer of his career! Only time will tell 🤷🏾‍♂️🤞🏾.

Edited by 2014Grad
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 2014Grad said:

It’s hard to see where things turn, as neither players or coaching staff have given us much to be hopeful about for next year. Sometimes great players can cover mediocre coaching, and great coaches can build up average players. We haven't seen either this year. If I’m an athlete in the portal I’m looking elsewhere(unless God tells me to lol). I agree Springmann should get a few years to prove himself, this may be the biggest summer of his career! Only time will tell 🤷🏾‍♂️🤞🏾.

This is where I’m at as well:  it’s hard to find a silver lining in the current situation when we’re:

• Uncertain about the current level of talent. 
  • Uncertain about the current quality of coaching.
  • Uncertain about which players are staying or going.
  • Uncertain about whether we want them to stay or go. 
  • Uncertain about any new players entering the fold.

Basically, this is going to be a dreadfully long spring and summer trying to figure things out, and my patience level with the sunshine-pumping “Oh, we’ll be just fine” crowd is going to be touchier than ever.

Which I’m sure everybody is looking forward to...I know I’m not. 🙄

• Upvote 1