ORU at Oklahoma State

theeagleman5

Safe to say this was ORU's worst game of the year.  They won't play that bad every game.  The Eagles were solid @Texas AM, K-State, and Texas Tech but maybe ran out of gas today.  I do not think that was the real ORU today.

Did Smith transfer twice?  Seems odd that he is under the transfer questionnaire if he only transferred once from AM.  So does that mean if the NCAA decides in a couple of weeks not to allow the two time transfers, that he will still have to sit out the rest of the season.  The guy has played in one game in two years at the D1 level.  

Oh well....TheEagleman is over it...bleep happens...let's regroup and beat John Brown at Mabee later this week! Go Blue!!!:tb-white:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

So does that mean if the NCAA decides in a couple of weeks not to allow the two time transfers, that he will still have to sit out the rest of the season.

I read where the NCAA has extended the 14-day TRO to the end of the spring sport season.

• Upvote 2

Tough game all around. Credit OSU they played by far their best game of the season and I would argue ORU played one of their worst. The great thing is both of these teams will have to win their conference tournament to make postseason, and ORU’s road to winning the SLT is a lot easier than the Cowboys’. 

Anyone finishing .500 or better in the Big XII this season is a lock for an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, regardless of their non-conference results.

And the last time I checked, OSU was tied for first place in the league.

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

Anyone finishing .500 or better in the Big XII this season is a lock for an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, regardless of their non-conference results.

I agree. That’s why I said they will have to win their conference tournament 😉

40 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I agree. That’s why I said they will have to win their conference tournament 😉

Which is...wrong. 

They do NOT have to win their conference tournament to make the NCAA field, and I explained why.

Am I missing something here??

There were a few telling stats from yesterday's game but maybe the biggest was in assists: OSU-24 and ORU-6.  We talked about unselfish play in another post but the Eagles are struggling in setting up each other.  It is a team game and ORU needs to move the ball and find the open man.  OSU sure did yesterday.

Oklahoma State is a very athletic and talented squad which has really underperformed so far this season. If they continue to shoot perimeter shots like they did last night they will finish in the upper half of the Big 12 - and earn a trip to the NCAA tournament. 

ORU needs to put this game behind them and concentrate on getting better as we get into league play. 

I for one will be glad when the new staff decides on ONE primary offense, so the guys aren't so tempted into one-on-one "hero ball" possessions as the shot clock winds down with players still trying to get into position to run this week's system.

The spacing Sunday was painful at times.  On one possession, two Golden Eagles tried to set ball screens side-by-side simultaneously. 

It looked like the scene from "Hoosiers" when they ran The Picket Fence.  #DontLetThePaintDry

30 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

The one stat that stands out to me is minutes played. McBride and Kareem just cannot play every minute of every game, we are starting to get diminishing returns. They both "only" played 36 minutes Sunday because it became a blowout.  But we are seeing a drop in FG%, Isaac 6-16 and Kareem 2-9 and 7 TO's between them. They need a brief blow in each half, take them out a minute before a media time out so they get a few actual minutes rest and minimal time off the court. I know they don't look winded, but the legs get heavy, the shots start getting flat, and the TO's they normally don't make start to happen. The performance difference between 32-33 mpg and 38-40 is huge! We need these 2 still explosive at the end of games, and at their best in March!  

This….  I can’t understand why we are playing these guys so much. I know we want to win these early games, but the bottom line is that we have to win three games in March. These guys are going to get worn down and possibly injured. Let’s play some of the other guys so that they get some experience and McBride/Thompson/Weaver get some rest. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ORUTerry said:

This….  I can’t understand why we are playing these guys so much. I know we want to win these early games, but the bottom line is that we have to win three games in March. These guys are going to get worn down and possibly injured. Let’s play some of the other guys so that they get some experience and McBride/Thompson/Weaver get some rest. 

I totally agree! The ONLY way to develop some of these new guys is to give them real gametime experience. Case and point is Sir Isaac. He is getting better because he is playing more. Not sure what is going on unless the strategy is to red shirt our new players but that still doesn't solve the problem of too many minutes/injury of our big 3 players. 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Which is...wrong. 

They do NOT have to win their conference tournament to make the NCAA field, and I explained why.

Am I missing something here??

I guess you’re missing my assumption that they won’t finish .500 in conference.

Gee, I didn't realize one must factor in your opinions before stating that ANY team that finishes at least .500 in the Big XII will get in the dance without winning the Big XII tournament.

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

It looked like the scene from "Hoosiers" when they ran The Picket Fence.  #DontLetThePaintDry

Hold on OT, Jimmy Chitwood coming off the Picket Fence is money!! 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1