ORU at Oklahoma State

theeagleman5

Both the Golden Eagles and Cowboys are 4-5 for what should be an entertaining match up in Stillwater on Sunday afternoon.....TheEagleman thinks ORU has a shot to win this game which could be the first upset victory/signature win of the Springmann Era.....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Both the Golden Eagles and Cowboys are 4-5 for what should be an entertaining match up in Stillwater tomorrow afternoon.....TheEagleman thinks ORU has a shot to win this game which could be the first upset victory/signature win of the Springmann Era.....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

I like the odds too of us winning. If we play a solid game, limit turnovers, shoot the 3 well and get some rebounds I like our chances. We have to avoid the Pokes going on a big run, This has hurt us in the Big 12 games. 

41 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Both the Golden Eagles and Cowboys are 4-5 for what should be an entertaining match up in Stillwater tomorrow afternoon.....TheEagleman thinks ORU has a shot to win this game which could be the first upset victory/signature win of the Springmann Era.....GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

The OSU game is Sunday, the 17th. 

IMG_7408.jpeg

• Haha 1

The Cowboys are definitely beatable! They are not a great shooting team, but they want to run, attack the basket and play pressure D and force turnovers. McCasland gave a scouting report a lot of teams will use against us, pressure and double McBride when he comes off screens and get out on the 3-point shooters. My game plan to counter that would be to get the into the post a few times early, go into Jones and Herron every once in a while, so they can't just overplay us on the 3-point line. The football analogy would be to run the ball, "three yards and a cloud of dust". You know you're not going to get big plays running it, but you're bringing the safeties up and it opens up the passing game. 

Jones and Herron are improving, Sir Issac was 4-5 from the field for 8 points and 5 boards at TTU in 18 minutes. I would give him the start because I thinks he's earned it and Jones playing in a backup role could help him limit his fouls.  But we are getting some production out of the 5 spot, let's go to it a little more and allow it to open up our shooters.  Hopefully, playing some tough road games against good teams will pay some dividends and the Eagles can get a big win in Stillwater! This game is a great opportunity for the program on several fronts, bragging rights and recruiting just to name a couple. TU is down and we thumped them, OSU is struggling right now so let's take advantage and give ourselves an early Christmas present!  Go Eagles!!    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

OOOPS!!....TheEagleman should have had his morning coffee before posting.....screwed up on the date bigtime......ORU basketball going up against NFL football??  Strange scheduling but so be it...:shield-logo:  vs. image.png.8d15c343a7bf9e3450d847b46403ed42.png

According to the ORU website, the Eagles are 0-9 lifetime in Stillwater.  Nobody beats ORU ten times in a row!  A lot of close games recently but the Cowboys have beaten ORU 3 of the last 4 years by 11 points.  I expect another close game but not sure the Eagles can rebound and slow down the paint points from OK State.  Herron and Jones would have to play at an A level for ORU to win.  

This is a really big game for ORU, as a team's season is often defined by their BEST WIN and their WORST LOSS, which can come into play for seeding purposes if ORU plays well enough to win the Summit tourney during the three games in March in Sioux Falls.

So far this season, the WORST LOSS is on the road against Texas Arlington, which isn't much of a black mark on the resume.  But, there are MANY opportunities for some bad losses the remainder of the season, and it is likely that this team (being human) will slip up at least once.

The BEST WIN so far has been the home win over Tulsa, which is important for in-city bragging rights, but not a big boost to the overall "body of work".  And, there are very few BEST WIN opportunities on the remaining schedule that would eclipse the Tulsa win.  OSU, SDSU, and (maybe) Weber State might qualify, but OSU would be the best "signature" win, by far.

Should be a good one in Stillwater!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

According to the ORU website, the Eagles are 0-9 lifetime in Stillwater.  Nobody beats ORU ten times in a row!  A lot of close games recently but the Cowboys have beaten ORU 3 of the last 4 years by 11 points.  I expect another close game but not sure the Eagles can rebound and slow down the paint points from OK State.  Herron and Jones would have to play at an A level for ORU to win.  

Might be 0-9 in Stillwater, but 1-0 in Oklahoma City:  beat the fire out of the Cowboys in 2007 at the All-College Classic, 74-59 in a game that wasn't that close.

Midway through that drubbing, I think it was ORUTerry in the seat next to me at the (currently) PayCom Center who said, "Look at Scott Sutton's face." 

Sure enough, Scott looked pale at what he had to know was the significance of beating his brother Sean's team so thoroughly.

"Heck, look at SEAN," I replied.

"Dead man walking." 💀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Might be 0-9 in Stillwater, but 1-0 in Oklahoma City:  beat the fire out of the Cowboys in the All-College Classic in 2007, 74-59 in a game that wasn't that close.

Midway through that drubbing, I think it was ORUTerry in the seat next to me at the (currently) PayCom Center who said, "Look at Scott Sutton's face." 

Sure enough, Scott looked pale at what he had to know was the significance of beating his brother Sean's team so thoroughly.

"Heck, look at SEAN," I replied.

"Dead man walking." 💀

I remember that well.

The ORU faithful present fully recognized that one Sutton brother was signing the death warrent of the other.

• Like 1

TheEagleman remembers watching that game at a bar in So. Philly because it was on ESPN in prime time and i was getting free drinks because my son was the bartender...lol........ORU kicked some Poke butt that night and it truly was the beginning of the end for Sean Sutton who ended up at 7777 So. Lewis for a 2nd chance a few years later which ended up being the beginning of the end for Scott Sutton.... Karma....ORU needs to whip these guys again.....we can do it!!! GO BLUE!!:tb-blue:

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

According to the ORU website, the Eagles are 0-9 lifetime in Stillwater

Clearly, we need to bring the baseball team to Stillwater for good luck

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU kicked some Poke butt that night and it truly was the beginning of the end for Sean Sutton...

More like the end of the end...the faces of the OSU faithful in the arena that night were something to behold as well... 😡

• Haha 1

Here is a question for you local Tulsa area fans: while driving around Tulsa during Homecoming weekend I saw mainly ads for OK State athletics (buses, billboards, etc.) and only one ad for ORU or TU sports.  Is that pretty common over the years?  Does OK State have a big fan base in Tulsa, since it is only about 1 hour or 75 minute drive?  It was somewhat surprising.

7 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Here is a question for you local Tulsa area fans: while driving around Tulsa during Homecoming weekend I saw mainly ads for OK State athletics (buses, billboards, etc.) and only one ad for ORU or TU sports.  Is that pretty common over the years?  Does OK State have a big fan base in Tulsa, since it is only about 1 hour or 75 minute drive?

Yes and YES, though some of the digital billboards you saw were likely Executive Homes ads with OSU logos; they do similar boards with OU logos as well.

• Upvote 1

Our most obvious weakness is a lack of rebounding… especially allowing opponents multiple second or third chance shots. I would like to see Braedon Moore get some extended playing time to see if he can help with this deficiency. He is 6’8” and appears to have decent footwork and a good basketball IQ. He may not be the most athletic guy out there, but he can compensate that with playing smart. I think we need to play him to see what he can do to help us. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Our most obvious weakness is a lack of rebounding… especially allowing opponents multiple second or third chance shots. I would like to see Braedon Moore get some extended playing time to see if he can help with this deficiency. He is 6’8” and appears to have decent footwork and a good basketball IQ. He may not be the most athletic guy out there, but he can compensate that with playing smart. I think we need to play him to see what he can do to help us. 

Here is my thought. Why not give Braedon some minutes as we have to get better on rebounding as we think about conference play and beyond. I believe he was recruited out of high school by over 20 D1 schools and from what we have seen of him he has a lot of potential. A number of our losses this year can be attributed to lack of rebounding. Give Braedon some minutes!

• Upvote 3

OK State opens as a 7.5 point favorite.  That sounds about right.  Both teams are similar in that they rely a lot on their guards/winds and their frontcourts are young.  The Cowboys do have more depth and size then ORU but then who doesn't?  Going to need some 3s to fall tomorrow to pull off the upset win.

• Upvote 1