On the road again-Texas Tech

Keenan Henderson

Tony Rossi, ORU trainer, told Adam pregame that Williams is out for the season with knee problems.  He will have season ending knee surgery in the near future.  Tough break for the Eagles going forward.  Tony was very favorable about Jalen Miller's return and said he is recovering and should be back soon.  So, a mixed bag with tonight's health report.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Riddle me this:  how did you handle this literal conflict of interest when the Red Raiders visited the Mabee Center back in 2011?

I have pulled for the Golden Eagles on every occasion. Never got a check from Tech!  However, it’s the only time I don’t pull for Tech. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Issac looks like he's not feeling well.  No bounce in his step; no expression; everything seems forced. 

Hope he's OK...

Another hard fought and tough loss by ORU on the road tonight.  Bedford continually impresses game by game.  If you had told me he would score 23 versus K-State and 26 versus Texas Tech, I would have not believed it.  Thompson was really solid and Herron worked hard on the inside.  Eagles were overmatched by the Red Raiders 7 footer Washington.

• Upvote 4

Man in my opinion we have the pieces to win the league. We continue to get obliterated on the offensive glass. Its the same story as usual… If we can fix that and eliminate the second chance points that continue to haunt us we win a lot of basketball games. Hopefully we can get one of these B12 games with OSU up next. 

Side note: how about golf coach Lance Watson on the radio with Adam Hildebrandt lol! Didn’t see that one coming. 😂 

57 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Issac looks like he's not feeling well.  No bounce in his step; no expression; everything seems forced. 

Hope he's OK...

Thought the same watching. Felt like the energy wasn’t there in the first half from not just him but all our guys. Might just be me!

• Upvote 2

The foul call on Trey at the 6:54 mark in the second half, especially with the one and one for TT, was about as deflating as any single play this year. We had a little run going, only down by 7, and by all appearances got a clean rebound with the chance to reduce the lead to 5 or 4. That was a tough break.

Just now, Roll Eags New Era said:

Man in my opinion we have the pieces to win the league. We continue to get obliterated on the offensive glass. Its the same story as usual… If we can fix that and eliminate the second chance points that continue to haunt us we win a lot of basketball games. Hopefully we can get one of these B12 games with OSU up next. 

Side note: how about golf coach Lance Watson on the radio with Adam Hildebrandt lol! Didn’t see that one coming. 😂 

Thought the same watching. Felt like the energy wasn’t there in the first half from not just him but all our guys. Might just be me!

If we had gotten the ball to bounce our way just a time or two down the stretch, we were in a position to be able to win tonight. Just didn't happen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

My word for this team is RESILIENT! (And Coach Springmann echoed the same message in the postgame show.) They never think that they’re out of a game, and just keep firing away. 

Sir Issac and Josh are making improvements each week, and we have so many weapons from outside.  We will be fine once the schedule turns to the Summit.  Played two Big 12 teams right to the end on their home courts - hope we can flip the script in Stillwater on Sunday.  

• Upvote 4

Respectable showing, though a step back from some of the progress in the Kansas State and TU games. 

• The floor spacing was all out of whack (reminiscent of the Missouri State game), leading to hurried threes and ineffective ventures into the lane late in the shot clock. 
  • Gotta get to the free throw line on the road, some how, some way. 
  • The threes kept ORU in it, but just could not hit enough of them to really make a game of it.  At some point on the road, they stop falling, and there was nothing consistent left to fall back on.
  • Rebounding on the defensive end was awful; way too many second (and third, and fourth, etc.) chances given up to the Red Raiders.  I would venture TTU shot 30% or so on the first attempt of every possession, but the stick backs and kick-out threes from rebounds were murder.

Still, with so many glaring deficiencies, it was a valiant effort to keep the final score that close.  The Vegas touts are gonna need rotator cuff surgery from all their self-congratulatory back-slapping on social media after giving out ORU (+13.5) and the "over" (143.5).

• Like 2

Rebounding is still the key issue for ORU.  It just seems like our bigs (Weaver and Jones especially) are average rebounders, which puts a lot of pressure on the guards to rebound.  I think it is difficult to ask your guards to be your best rebounders over the course of a long season.  At some point some of the bigs have to step up and grab those defensive rebounds.  Hope I am wrong but I just have a feeling that rebounding, especially on the road, is going to be a problem this year.

• Upvote 1

Valiant effort by the Good Guys tonight in Lubbock vs. a tough Red Raider squad. 3-14 shooting by McBride and woeful rebounding doomed ORU along with some questionable officiating.  We have a shot in Stillwater for sure....:shield-logo:

• Like 1

McCaslin's defensive scheme was to take McBride out with a lot of double teams and help defense when he got past the first defender. In his pre-game interview, he said that's what they had to do. Had DJ made some of those 3's, it would have been interesting to see how they would adjust their plan. Tech's coach is a classy guy. 

• Upvote 2

The guys really fought back after Texas Tech jumped on them out of the halftime break.  In the first 5-6 minutes of the second half, the Red Raiders went on an 18-3 run and pushed the lead to 19 points.  Besides that 5-6 minute stretch the Eagles played pretty solid last night.  

In a game like this, where Texas Tech was very physical and just outmuscled ORU, the Eagles really missed guys like Smith (260 lbs.) and Williams (220 lbs.)   ORU losing that toughness for a whole season is really going to hurt.  Not sure who fills that void because the freshman Moore and Navarro only see the court in blow out games.  At some point Coach may have to play one of them to make up for the missing pieces on the frontline.