On the road again-Texas Tech

Keenan Henderson

ORU is back on the road again for 5 out of the next 6 games.  This is a critical stretch and good teams find ways to win tough rough games.  Texas Tech has beaten Michigan by 16 and Omaha by 29, so they are a solid team.  They did lose a good player Cambridge (10 points and 5 rebounds) to a knee injury versus Omaha.

Texas Tech could very well be the best team on ORU's schedule this season - perhaps by a wide margin.

Recent results have hinted (proven?) that Texas A&M and Kansas State are not living up to their early-season national reputations.

And of course, Tulsa and Oklahoma State have been mediocre at best this season, and downright awful the rest of the time.

Actually, ORU's earlier foe Missouri State could give all of these teams a run for their money; as demonstrated by the Bears' current standing as a road favorite at TU this Saturday.

• Upvote 2

I agree with OT that Texas Tech is a good team but with their recent loss of forward Cambridge, it will be interesting to see how they respond to that.  Now they are down to a bunch of strong/athletic guards and a 7'0 center, who controls the paint.  The Red Raiders live and die on their defense: when the defense is rolling then they are rolling.  ORU will need to figure out this defense and be able to score in the low 70s to keep the game competitve. 

It may be hard to drive the paint with that big guy in the middle waiting to disrupt shots.  I look for Kareem to drive and hit open shooters for 3s, if the Eagles are to be successful tomorrow night.  This would be a good game for DJ, Jalen or Trey to get hot from long distance!

ORU is +12.5.....TheEagleman kind of likes the Good Guys with that many points....let me sleep on it.... :circle-logoi:

Ahhh....after a good nights' sleep TheEagleman sees that ORU is now up to +13.5......Red Raiders are a pretty good team at 6-2 and while I do think the Good Guys are playing improved basketball just can't see us winning this game on the road in a tough enviornment in Lubbock....Springmann is due for a signature win but it's not likely to be tonight...still think the Golden Eagles can remain competitive if we shoot the ball decently and don't get overwhelmed on the boards............                 Texas Tech 79  ORU 71.....:tb-blue:

• Upvote 1

Texas Tech is a bubble NCAA tournament team according to ESPN's bracketology.  They are listed as the next 4 out of the Big Dance.  Maybe the Coach can call K.O. and get some insider tips, as he was with the Red Raiders last year.

Last time ORU played Texas Tech, the Eagles won at the Mabee Center.  That was the 27-7 NIT team that had DoMo, Niles, and company.

TheEagleman remembers that game at Mabee.....2011-12 season was one of our best under Sutton and ORU got hosed out of an NCAA At Large bid.....but now here we are a dozen years later for the rematch but doubtful anyone at TTU remembers it....unless Sean Sutton is still on the Red Raider staff??? Anybody know if he's still on the payroll?? image.png.76746fe7bb1a8f3ea8c784016187a122.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

....unless Sean Sutton is still on the Red Raider staff??? Anybody know if he's still on the payroll?? 

On the payroll?

Unknown.

On the staff?

No.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

On the payroll?

Unknown.

On the staff?

No.

From wikipedia:

"Sean Patrick Sutton is an American college basketball coach. He is currently the advisor to the head men's basketball coach at Texas Tech University."

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Ahhh....after a good nights' sleep TheEagleman sees that ORU is now up to +13.5......Red Raiders are a pretty good team at 6-2 and while I do think the Good Guys are playing improved basketball just can't see us winning this game on the road in a tough enviornment in Lubbock....Springmann is due for a signature win but it's not likely to be tonight...still think the Golden Eagles can remain competitive if we shoot the ball decently and don't get overwhelmed on the boards............                 Texas Tech 79  ORU 71.....:tb-blue:

Where's Marchello Vealy when we need him? 😁 Maybe there's a new version waiting in the wings... (Trey! This is your moment!)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dbl78 said:

From wikipedia:

"Sean Patrick Sutton is an American college basketball coach. He is currently the advisor to the head men's basketball coach at Texas Tech University."

I was going by this (see below), plus something I was told back in the fall by someone who ought to know:

Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 12.24.49 PM.png

The Halsametrics summary of tonight's game.  It will be a tough environment, but if we catch Tech on one of their "inconsistent" nights, we have a fighting chance.

THE X-FACTORS:

basketball.png PACE: We'd forecast a fairly average tempo by Division I standards here. Oral Roberts (206th nationally in game pace) likes a fairly average tempo, but Texas Tech (264th) would rather maintain a slower pace.
basketball.png AWAY/HOME COURT: Oral Roberts may fare better than expected here, as their performances away from home, on average, have been superior to their performances at home.
basketball.png MOMENTUM: Texas Tech wins the battle for positive momentum here, but the analytical edge shouldn't really be classified as a significantly impactful one.
basketball.png CONSISTENCY: Oral Roberts is one of the NCAA's more consistent teams (50th nationally in consistency), while Texas Tech (335th in consistency) is definitely more on the erratic side.

THE VERDICT:
Oral Roberts has a shot to win, but Texas Tech is definitely the better team on paper. Texas Tech 76.60, Oral Roberts 66.61.
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

They must've used AI to write this sentence🤣:

DeShang Weaver (13.3 points per game), Jailen Bedford (13.0) and Elijah Lawrence (13.0) are also reliable weapons for a team averaging 76.5 points per game.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

The Halsametrics summary of tonight's game.  It will be a tough environment, but if we catch Tech on one of their "inconsistent" nights, we have a fighting chance.

THE X-FACTORS:

basketball.png PACE: We'd forecast a fairly average tempo by Division I standards here. Oral Roberts (206th nationally in game pace) likes a fairly average tempo, but Texas Tech (264th) would rather maintain a slower pace.
basketball.png AWAY/HOME COURT: Oral Roberts may fare better than expected here, as their performances away from home, on average, have been superior to their performances at home.
basketball.png MOMENTUM: Texas Tech wins the battle for positive momentum here, but the analytical edge shouldn't really be classified as a significantly impactful one.
basketball.png CONSISTENCY: Oral Roberts is one of the NCAA's more consistent teams (50th nationally in consistency), while Texas Tech (335th in consistency) is definitely more on the erratic side.

THE VERDICT:
Oral Roberts has a shot to win, but Texas Tech is definitely the better team on paper. Texas Tech 76.60, Oral Roberts 66.61.

Sounds like they used AI to write this copy!

All the touts really like ORU to cover the 13-point spread vs. Texas Tech, and the "over" has been popular with both teams recently scoring at a higher clip (opened at 142, now at 143.5).

I like the over as well, but I'm afraid the Red Raiders cover:  TTU 82, ORU 68.  #TrustTheProcess