ORU at Kansas State

theeagleman5

16 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Nothing new under the sun:  your boy Kelvin Sampson brazenly went after both Caleb Green and Ken Tutt the summer following their breakout freshman years.  We can thank Caleb's dad (for one) for putting the kibosh on that (thankfully is was pre-NIL).

And, the door swings both ways:  players becoming interested in ORU after playing against the Golden Eagles; Obi Emegano transferring to ORU from Western Illinois jumps immediately to mind, along with Paul Bruns of North Dakota infamously (at least in the Dakotas) bolting from North Dakota to play for his home state South Dakota Coyotes once they showed an interest heretofore absent when he was a high school senior.

Great examples, OT. It seems a little less egregious when there was a price to be paid for the transfer - I'm assuming in the cases you mentioned those players spent a year on the bench before qualifying to play for ORU and South Dakota (or, in the case of Caleb and Ken, would have). 

It feels very sleasy for a coach to put his arm around an opponent player after a game and say, "Come play for me next year and I'll get you $250,000 in NIL money," but I guess those are the rules we live by at this point.

3 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Great examples, OT. It seems a little less egregious when there was a price to be paid for the transfer - I'm assuming in the cases you mentioned those players spent a year on the bench before qualifying to play for ORU and South Dakota (or, in the case of Caleb and Ken, would have). 

It feels very sleasy for a coach to put his arm around an opponent player after a game and say, "Come play for me next year and I'll get you $250,000 in NIL money," but I guess those are the rules we live by at this point.

I’d love to think that Tang’s connections to ORU through Mills and current assistant Sam Patterson would garner a little more respect then to buy off our players but I guess it’s possible. If Mcbride keeps playing at the level he is at currently, K-State may be the least of our tampering concerns.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

I’d love to think that Tang’s connections to ORU through Mills and current assistant Sam Patterson would garner a little more respect then to buy off our players but I guess it’s possible. If Mcbride keeps playing at the level he is at currently, K-State may be the least of our tampering concerns.

My thoughts exactly!

(Which may be a bit naïve.)

McBride sounds like the kind of guy who has found a home at ORU after poor experiences at KU and Vandy.....he said in his own words that he is not interested in NIL $$$ and frankly, how much would he really get??  Doubtful that this kid leaves ORU....he seems to have integrity.....which is a rare commodity these days.....:tb-white:

• Like 1

Top guard transfer Max Abmas commits to Texas

•  

Former Oral Roberts star Max Abmas, the best available guard in the transfer portal, announced his commitment to Texas on Thursday.

Abmas chose the Longhorns over Kansas State and others.

Something we knew and i'd somehow forgotten - Tang had already been willing to stick his fingers in our cookie jar before. He would no doubt have no reservations about doing it again.

Just now, tmh8286 said:

Top guard transfer Max Abmas commits to Texas

•  

Former Oral Roberts star Max Abmas, the best available guard in the transfer portal, announced his commitment to Texas on Thursday.

Abmas chose the Longhorns over Kansas State and others.

Something we knew and i'd somehow forgotten - Tang had already been willing to stick his fingers in our cookie jar before. He would no doubt have no reservations about doing it again.

He would do in a heartbeat if he thought it would help his team. Just the way it is now. Most coaches are the same. 

Everyone is loyal until a team comes around with $100K check in their hand and then.. we would see. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, darrenj said:

He would do in a heartbeat if he thought it would help his team. Just the way it is now. Most coaches are the same. 

Everyone is loyal until a team comes around with $100K check in their hand and then.. we would see. 

I suppose if your boundaries are too strict you will struggle in the coaching business.

The portal and NIL has redefined loyalty. 

• Upvote 1

Well...Max had his ORU degree when he went into the portal as did Obanor I believe. If McBride graduates then has offers for Power 5 schools who could blame him for making a move? TheEagleman would do it for $100k. 🤑

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I just listened to Adam's pregame report of the K-State game and he mentioned that the Wildcats were the 8th best offensive rebounding team in the country.  So that is why they had 19 offensive rebounds and took over the glass last night.  He also interviewed Tony Rossi the trainer and TR said Jalen Miller is out for 4-6 weeks with an outside chance at returning for conference play.  They did an MRI on Miller and it came back as expected.  Tony also said Demari is hopefully able to return for the Tulsa game.

I was surprised that Miller is out for so long.  It looked like at the Texas AM game that he hit his knee on the pad under the basket.  That area is padded but of course there is cement behind it.  Hopefully his rehab goes well and Miller can help ORU in Summit League play.

I thought it was Bedford that had the fall and walked off the court with assistance. When did Miller get hurt?

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

McBride sounds like the kind of guy who has found a home at ORU after poor experiences at KU and Vandy.....he said in his own words that he is not interested in NIL $$$ and frankly, how much would he really get??  Doubtful that this kid leaves ORU....he seems to have integrity.....which is a rare commodity these days.....:tb-white:

McBride is no doubt loyal to ORU and to Coach Springman, however money can always be a factor but in his case I believe his reasoning may be deeper than just $. If McBride continues to have an outstanding year he may find himself in the same position max did. Max showed and fulfilled his loyalty to ORU but with only 1 year of eligibility remaining at the collegiate level and his dream of playing in the NBA he had to showcase himself on a bigger stage and prove  he can play with the best night in and night out. The $200k he is making at Texas is a side benefit. He could have gotten that kind of $ a year earlier but decided to stay at ORU. Does McBride have the same dream as Max? I would assume so but only time will tell. Whether he stays or leaves next year i personally see him as an extremely loyal ORU guy!

• Like 2

Sorry but I don't see Max or McBride as being NBA quality talent. Maybe Europe where they can make solid $$$ but neither will ever make an NBA team unless it's a G League two way contract type deal. 🤑

For the record I want to say that in spite of my musings I hold no ill will or negative feelings towards those that have used the portal to try to accomplish their goals, like Max and Kevin and Connor, or those that might in the future, like Isaac. All of them have shown their commitment and loyalty to ORU in numerous ways, even if their paths led them (or lead them) elsewhere. I have great admiration for all of them. They all desire to play their game at the highest level possible, and they are seeking the best way they know to do that. Can't blame them for that.

Even so, getting use to the logistics and changes that the portal and NIL bring to sports is taking a bit of time for me!!

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Sorry but I don't see Max or McBride as being NBA quality talent. Maybe Europe where they can make solid $$$ but neither will ever make an NBA team unless it's a G League two way contract type deal. 🤑

I 100% agree but the more I am around these D1 players most if not all of them think they can play in the NBA. In other words perception is reality. 

I for one have no problem with a guy graduating from ORU, then subsequently leaving for another presumably bigger school (don't call it "transferring"; it's not the same). 

It almost feels like the next logical step in a career, if entering the draft is not (yet) an option.

But, any player leaving before he graduates, and for NIL money? 

Whole 'nuther story...

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I for one have no problem with a guy graduating from ORU, then subsequently leaving for another presumably bigger school (don't call it "transferring"; it's not the same). 

It almost feels like the next logical step in a career, if entering the draft is not (yet) an option.

Whole 'nuther story...

1000% agree

30 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Whole 'nuther story...

I totally agree. How many of us graduated from ORU and went on to another school for a graduate degree.  Anyone who knows me knows how much I love the business department at ORU.   I have never considered myself as being disloyal to ORU by getting my graduate degree at the University of Chicago, rather than from ORU.  

• Upvote 4

I had stuff going on last night, but was able to listen to some of the pregame, and then the last 8 minutes of regulation and the overtime on the K-State affiliate out of Coffeyville (ironically, “the mighty 690” AM station picks up better in the Owasso/Claremore area than 99.9 FM out of Tulsa).

The K-State commentators, while not very good at communicating what’s happening in the game (makes me appreciate Adam Hildebrandt’s call of the action even more), were very complimentary and respectful of ORU throughout the time I was listening. They were incredibly impressed with McBride and Bedford. They also were impressed with the inbounds play Coach Springmann drew up to tie the game. 

• Like 1