ORU at Kansas State

theeagleman5

Do we have a chance???....well....probably not but TheEagleman is hoping ORU can stay competitive vs. the Wildcats....any of our injured players expected to return??  :circle-logoi:

• Upvote 1

K-State already handled South Dakota State 91-68 on their home floor.  The Eagles will need some solid defense and rebounding to stay alive in this one.  The Wildcats are a good team and should be a tough out in the Big 12 this year.  Their X factor is Arthur K. who is a 6'7 wing that the NBA scouts really like.  I am guessing that Kareem Thompson will need to put Arthur on lockdown for ORU to have any chance on Tuesday night.

• Upvote 2

Really want Springman to get his 1st signature win but KState may not be the team to do it.  It really would be great to play a competitive game and continue to show improvement. Hoping at least Demari will return soon as I hear he should. Fortunately for the Eagles it appears the Summit is not overly talented this year so if we continue to improve it is not out of the question to make the NCAA again. The most recent bracketology has Texas Southern listed as a 16 seed.

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Do we have a chance???....well....probably not but TheEagleman is hoping ORU can stay competitive vs. the Wildcats....any of our injured players expected to return??  :circle-logoi:

26 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Fortunately for the Eagles it appears the Summit is not overly talented this year so if we continue to improve it is not out of the question to make the NCAA again. The most recent bracketology has Texas Southern listed as a 16 seed.

Agreed.  In the Kenpom rankings, Texas Southern is equivalent to a fifth place team in the Summit, pretty much right in the middle.  If ORU continues to improve and gets some needed depth from players returning from injury, the Eagles should contend for a top three finish in a Summit that has been severely weakened by the portal this season. 

• Upvote 2

The Eagles have had a week off and some of the guys may have gone home for the holidays.  It is always interesting to see how teams respond after these longer breaks.  Are the guys looking ahead to Saturday night vs Tulsa?  How improved is the rebounding from game to game?

I think ORU needs to send all five guys to the defensive boards.  At least for now it is needed but the only problem is if they did this, then the Eagles will lose some fastbreak points.  This early in the season it is a trade ORU can live with.  Eventually they should be able to rebound better and still get out on the fastbreak but the Eagles are just not there yet.  Jones and Herron's development is still a big key and for them to step up versus K-State would be huge.

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I think ORU needs to send all five guys to the defensive boards.  At least for now it is needed but the only problem is if they did this, then the Eagles will lose some fastbreak points.  This early in the season it is a trade ORU can live with.  Eventually they should be able to rebound better and still get out on the fastbreak but the Eagles are just not there yet.  Jones and Herron's development is still a big key and for them to step up versus K-State would be huge.

I totally agree with your concern over the lack of rebounding for this team. My only experience of playing scholastic basketball was in high school where I was a 5'11" "power" forward. We were the shortest team in the league. But one thing we did do well was when the shot went up, we found the guy we were guarding, or the one in our zone, turned toward the basket, put our butt on him, and drove him back a little to keep him there in order to get rebounds. IMHO it is inexcusable and mindboggling that we (Eagles) and so many teams do such a horrible job in this area. It is basic and coaches should sit the guys who refuse to do it effectively. Would love to hear from guys who played at this level on this subject. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

KSU is -14.5......a bit lower that I thought......Wildcats are 4-2 both losses vs. top 25 teams USC and Miami......gonna be a struggle for ORU to remain competitive tonight.... Kansas State 84  ORU 65.....:circle-logoi:

Hmm… K-State lost to USC? USC didn’t seem that impressive against OU. Of course, OU might be the real deal this year. I doubt K-State is as good as Texas A&M. If the guys can bring their A-game and K-State has some after-thanksgiving lethargy, ORU might have a shot to steal this one. If ORU is the team that has a post-thanksgiving letdown though, it’ll be a long night. 

I definitely have appreciated ORU’s defensive performance this year. Good defense and timely shooting by McBride, Thompson, and Weaver can keep them in a lot of games where they shouldn’t have a chance (like the A&M game). 

• Upvote 1

K=State is a good team and Joe Lundari has them as a 10 seed in his latest bracketology.  The Wildcats have a 122-12 record at home versus non-conference foes in Manhattan, Kansas.  So, they are usually very tough to beat at home.  

I do not expect ORU to win tonight but just improve and hopefully rebound the ball better.  Still waiting for the bench to show up and add some value to the team.  The Eagles will need the bench to step up and contribute as we head towards conference play.

• Upvote 1

Remarkable half, really. We're seeing the best performance of the season on the parts of several players. Still struggling with rebounding, although Adam did comment on the size deficit we're dealing with.  

Overall, though, I'm very pleased with what we're seeing tonight - a BIG step in the right direction. Going to be hard to repeat 80% three point shooting in the second half, though!!

• Upvote 1

Overtime???? Guess ORU does have a chance...🤩

• Like 1

rough overtime from McBride.....too much pounding the ball

good fight from the good guys, just ran out of gas

We ran out of gas. Nice game by ORU. Good effort but need to work on rebounding. I saw good spacing and offensive flow. Especially like that we ditched the weave

• Like 1