Mid American Christian at ORU

theeagleman5

13 hours ago, ORUSwagger said:

Don’t you have strong ties w/ Mike Carter? Let’s get the conversation going!

Aren't you on the Alumni board?  I think you should get the conversation going.

Thanksgiving is a big deal.  It is not a good time of the year to travel (at least not far).

Although it is early and we are under a new regime, I especially have not been impressed with our basically 4 guard look on offense.  Again, it is early in the season.

• Upvote 1

Glad MACU gave us a scare. Losses are a lesson but this win is one, too. MACU hitting 46% of their 3's was impressive, especially those contested shots and the prayer rainbow 3 at the shot buzzer.

Mackey's play was more impressive: 19 points, 8-8 FTs, 2 assists, 2 steals, zero turnovers in 38 minutes, and SIX REBOUNDS. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sterns78 said:

Glad MACU gave us a scare. Losses are a lesson but this win is one, too. MACU hitting 46% of their 3's was impressive, especially those contested shots and the prayer rainbow 3 at the shot buzzer.

Mackey's play was more impressive: 19 points, 8-8 FTs, 2 assists, 2 steals, zero turnovers in 38 minutes, and SIX REBOUNDS. 

He's working VERY HARD to fill big shoes, there's no doubt about it. I love his heart!!

4 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

Aren't you on the Alumni board?  I think you should get the conversation going.

Thanksgiving is a big deal.  It is not a good time of the year to travel (at least not far).

Mrs. Smith you blew my cover…..😂🚨

Anyhow, maybe those who oppose a Fall HC can write to the President & Alumni Office. I’m sure they are use to getting such feedback on a yearly basis. 

It was a dream come true to come back to ORU this weekend for homecoming.  While the men struggled it did make it exciting for some of the alumni who are not super fans.  Some told me that they enjoyed the game but other local alumni said it was the worst the Eagles had played in maybe 5 years.  So a mixed reaction.

Some thoughts from the game:

The crowd was great and the student section was on fire.  They were waving lights before the game and some had on Eagle outfits.  Great to see the passion from the students.

DJ looked very improved from previous years.  It felt like every time he shot the ball it was going in (he was 7-9 on the night).  He seems very confident and aggressive.

The bench needs to improve and become more productive.  It seemed ORU would get up about 11 in the second half and put the bench in but play would drop off.

The Eagles need a couple of guys from the second unit to step up and help push the lead out.

The guards need to help with rebounding and I think Williams will be a part of this when he returns.

On a side note: Coach Springman said at the pregame meal that Mid America would throw their best shot at the Eagles.  He said it would be like a Final Four game for MACU because they were playing a D1 opponent in front of a large crowd.  He was right, I was impressed by Mid America and they did not seem like a normal NAIA team.  They have good size/athletes and their big guy can really shoot the 3.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/11/2023 at 3:57 PM, ORUSwagger said:

Mrs. Smith you blew my cover…..😂🚨

Anyhow, maybe those who oppose a Fall HC can write to the President & Alumni Office. I’m sure they are use to getting such feedback on a yearly basis. 

Many years ago, alums were complaining about Homecoming taking place in February (too soon after Christmas--bills to pay!), too cold, chance of snow/ice, etc. So at long last, it was moved to the fall. But I agree--November is a bad month for it. If only we had basketball games in October.... Maybe we need to talk to the NCAA! 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Many years ago, alums the Alumni Relations department were complaining about Homecoming taking place in February (too soon after Christmas--bills to pay!), too cold, chance of snow/ice, etc. 

Fixed ^^^^ 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dr. Gillen was the one who REALLY wanted it moved. He told us that many times. I think he took credit for it when it finally moved to November.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MrsSmith said:

I'm sure that Dr. Gillen won't care if we move it back. 😉

I'm sure you're right! 🙂 

The GREAT thing about a January or February game (since it's in the middle of conference play) is that you're guaranteed a D1 opponent on a Saturday night without spending a dime of guarantee money.

But I fear it will now never move away from a Friday night in November (at least under this administration) because a Saturday night game would conflict with the President's Banquet having the stage all to itself that night on the homecoming calendar.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

When RR was president, the banquet and game were on the same night. He used to press us all to finish the banquet on time so that everyone could get over to Mabee Center for the game. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, titansforever said:

When RR was president, the banquet and game were on the same night. He used to press us all to finish the banquet on time so that everyone could get over to Mabee Center for the game. 

Yeah, I don't think we're ever getting that cow back in the barn again...they held this year's dinner on the Mabee Center floor, for crying out loud.

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Yeah, I don't think we're ever getting that cow back in the barn again...they held this year's dinner on the Mabee Center floor, for crying out loud.

GREAT point - almost feels as though the battle is over and possession of the conquered territory is complete!

To show total and complete the conquest truly is, Mike Carter was the MC of the evening!

One thing I've learned at ORU is to never assume anything. Just when you think "it'll always be this way" or "so-and-so will never agree to this," things change. 

2007 is a perfect example.

• Upvote 2

It is off the topic a bit but just sharing a little: I had not been to a home game in 18 years and I was blessed to see Coach Springmann get his first Win of his career.  Also, the Eagles won their 17th straight home game, which for some of the guys (Williams, and Cam) they have never lost a home game in their career.   Lots of good memories this past weekend.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I'll have my own homecoming and see a few games in FEB. I'm sure I'll see enough people. Not coming to see a low level team in NOV

• Like 3