National Signing Day

Old Titan

Would not be surprised to see Josh Jones leave and be replaced with a Juco big. He has horrendous footwork and looks completely lost when positioned at the top of the key. 

Demari Williams was supposed to be a big part of this team....transfer from Arizona or Arizona State, right?  He seemed to have a great move to the basket when he played last season and also showed some passion/urgency on the court. Geez we need a lot more of THAT!!! :tb-white:

As far as the transfer portal goes, I'm unsure about the current status of the "No Second Transfer Until You've Graduated" rule.

The NCAA was trying to draw a hard line when the season started, denying eligibility to players who transfered in the off-season to their second school before graduating.

Then a trial judge's ruling in December opened the flood gates for those players to play immediately UNTIL a further ruling from somewhere (the NCAA? the courts?) would decide the issue once and for all.

I don't recall seeing anything about any final ruling, or when it might be made. 

Who knows how that will affect undergraduate players entering the portal, and/or whether they will be eligible for next season wherever they land this spring/summer.

5 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

As far as the transfer portal goes, I'm unsure about the current status of the "No Second Transfer Until You've Graduated" rule.

The NCAA was trying to draw a hard line when the season started, denying eligibility to players who transfered in the off-season to their second school before graduating.

Then a trial judge's ruling in December opened the flood gates for those players to play immediately UNTIL a further ruling from somewhere (the NCAA? the courts?) would decide the issue once and for all.

I don't recall seeing anything about any final ruling, or when it might be made. 

Who knows how that will affect undergraduate players entering the portal, and/or whether they will be eligible for next season wherever they land this spring/summer.

Answering my own question:  as of mid-January, it appears to be tied up in court:

U.S. Department of Justice Joins Multi-State Lawsuit Challenging NCAA Restrictions On Transfers (CBS Sports)

What a mess...

10 hours ago, ORUalum11 said:

Would not be surprised to see Josh Jones leave and be replaced with a Juco big. He has horrendous footwork and looks completely lost when positioned at the top of the key. 

I find Josh to be pretty talented, with a year of D1 ball and the right coaching/development this summer I can see him taking a big leap next year. Most true freshman his age get to learn from and go against a more experienced big in practice for a year before seeing real playing time, he did not get that. I don’t think we have the talent or the coaching staff to develop bigs, I wouldn’t be so hard on him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 2014Grad said:

I find Josh to be pretty talented, with a year of D1 ball and the right coaching/development this summer I can see him taking a big leap next year. Most true freshman his age get to learn from and go against a more experienced big in practice for a year before seeing real playing time, he did not get that. I don’t think we have the talent or the coaching staff to develop bigs, I wouldn’t be so hard on him.

Agreed.  I will be surprised if Josh leaves unless he has someone in his ear giving bad advice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2014Grad said:

Soooo....hopefully something will be different this summer, as opposed to LAST summer which left him so utterly unprepared to play man defense at the D1 level this season.

(...and set screens without fouling...and not reach and/or belly-up on defense...and rebound on both ends....etc.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Soooo....hopefully something will be different this summer, as opposed to LAST summer which left him so utterly unprepared to play man defense at the D1 level this season.

(...and set screens without fouling...and not reach and/or belly-up on defense...and rebound on both ends....etc.)

Bigs take a bit longer and need more development to make the D1 jump , so I'm hopeful! I see how my statement can be contradictory, but I think sometimes getting exposed/your butt kicked all year can show you, AND the coaching staff where you need to go back to the drawing board, and summer is where growth CAN happen. I see the potential there and most of the issues you said about him can honestly be attributed to most of our team (screens, rebounding, defense), not just the 19-year-old freshman. I believe Josh has the framework of a talented player, and I wouldn't be so quick to hope he transfers. He has generally beaten out transfers from Texas A&M and BYU for playing time (whether one agrees with that is between them and Springmann lol), so of ALL the people on our team, he's one I hope we can keep and develop. Just my opinion!

Edited by 2014Grad
  • Like 1

I remember Juergens and Lacis their freshman year, and I was not impressed.  They turned out pretty good.

I think the key is their ability and willingness to learn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2014Grad said:

Bigs take a bit longer and need more development to make the D1 jump , so I'm hopeful! I see how my statement can be contradictory, but I think sometimes getting exposed/your butt kicked all year can show you, AND the coaching staff where you need to go back to the drawing board, and summer is where growth CAN happen. I see the potential there and most of the issues you said about him can honestly be attributed to most of our team (screens, rebounding, defense), not just the 19-year-old freshman. I believe Josh has the framework of a talented player, and I wouldn't be so quick to hope he transfers. He has generally beaten out transfers from Texas A&M and BYU for playing time (whether one agrees with that is between them and Springmann lol), so of ALL the people on our team, he's one I hope we can keep and develop. Just my opinion!

Oh, I don’t necessarily want him - or ANYBODY - to transfer. 

But I wouldn’t mind every effort being made to recruit over every single position in the starting five. 

Seriously:  I don’t care who returns; NOBODY should be guaranteed a starting spot, or a certain amount of playing time, for next year. 

I think that may be part of the problem THIS season, and we can all see how that’s playing out down the stretch. 

On 2/14/2024 at 1:30 PM, Old Titan said:

Answering my own question:  as of mid-January, it appears to be tied up in court:

U.S. Department of Justice Joins Multi-State Lawsuit Challenging NCAA Restrictions On Transfers (CBS Sports)

What a mess...

So far these cases all seem to be decided in favor of the player transfer, and I don't expect for there to be any change in that. 

At the pregame meal on Saturday, Coach Patterson was asked about recruiting and he said:

* ORU is recruiting the juco market for players

* They are monitoring (in discussions with?) players who we recruited previously but went to other schools

* Keeping tabs on the transfer portal and reviewing possible candidates 

* Looking at/for international players (he visited Europe & Israel last year); said they are fundamentally sound basketball players

* Will look for high school players that have been missed by other schools, but the main focus is for 2025 HS players

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for that info Terry - we need a major juco/transfer year - get another Bedford quality and a Mwamba impact player at the minimum. Wonder how many HS players are getting left out due to all the schools having the same strategy, surely there's another max can't miss diamond out there for us to find. Expect a miracle

• Upvote 3

How different might this season have been had Mwamba and Conner not transferred chasing the dreams of NIL $$$...now they sit and waste away.....with empty bank accounts.....😮

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

How different might this season have been had Mwamba and Conner not transferred chasing the dreams of NIL $$$...now they sit and waste away.....with empty bank accounts.....😮

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

• Haha 1

Yeah I guess TheEagleman is just beating a dead horse....we still might be in the bottom half of the Summit League.....your point is driven home, Gripper......have another gummy snake.....🍺

8 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Yeah I guess TheEagleman is just beating a dead horse....we still might be in the bottom half of the Summit League.....your point is driven home, Gripper......have another gummy snake.....🍺

No, I was with you on this one! That's my reaction to those dudes bolting for greener pastures...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

At the pregame meal on Saturday, Coach Patterson was asked about recruiting and he said:

* ORU is recruiting the juco market for players

* They are monitoring (in discussions with?) players who we recruited previously but went to other schools

* Keeping tabs on the transfer portal and reviewing possible candidates 

* Looking at/for international players (he visited Europe & Israel last year); said they are fundamentally sound basketball players

* Will look for high school players that have been missed by other schools, but the main focus is for 2025 HS players

It would just be nice to hear at least ONE of them announce he's committed to ORU.

And look, I know there's the whole "Oh, but we gotta keep it quiet, or else the other programs will come after him" philosophy, but frankly if that's the case, it really smacks of a lack of confidence in your culture and putting your class together, doesn't it?

Would love to see just once something along the lines of "HECK YEAH, I'M GONNA BE A GOLDEN EAGLE...WHO'S WITH ME??"

• Upvote 1