National Signing Day

Old Titan

Wondering if Springmann & Co. will sign anyone today, or at all during this period?

With the emergence of the transfer portal, recruiting is just not the same for mid-to-low-majors, particularly for ORU.

We'll see, I suppose...

• Upvote 1

Since Mills left news of possible recruits seems much harder to come by.

Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing. You would rather have the next Abmas fly under the radar prior to signing. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

I think this is an actual video of Old Titan when he was about six years old!! He's been on the impatient side his whole life!!

33 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

I think this is an actual video of Old Titan when he was about six years old!! He's been on the impatient side his whole life!!

That’s archival footage of me waiting for my dinner…

Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 2

Looking at ORU's verbal commit page and it only has two offers listed for this upcoming class: one from Juco and one high school player.  That may be why no one signed.  It seems like Mills would have 15-20 offers on VC's page but then again it is Springmann's first year as coach.  I am hoping he can have a solid first class as Mills did: DJ, Carlos, and Francis Lacis.

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline for this early signing date has passed.

I don't care care how you slice it re: "freshmen signed now not being as valuable as transfers signed in the spring", blah, blah blah.  Not signing a 3-star freshman or two in this early signing period is NOT good news, even in today's game.

Example:  Joy Ighovodja, the Nigerian freshman for Wichita State who originally committed to ORU last year, sure would come in handy on this year's Golden Eagle roster.  He's already getting quite a bit of playing time for the Shockers.

• Like 1

We apparently do not have many (any?) offers out. According to Verbal Commits, we have one offer extended - Jayden Forrest out of Marion, AR. That was extended two years ago, so I don’t think it is still valid. Hard to sign players if there are not offers in front of them. 

There’s only two scholarships on paper for 2024 (Weaver and Thompson). Those are two really important losses that can’t be replaced with high school recruits. 

There’s probably a high likelihood other players transfer out of ORU at the end of the season, but why sign a HS kid when you only *NEED* two? Obviously there are lots of recruiting philosophies, but I would hope ORU can replace Weaver and Thompson with proven players out of the portal. 

My personal opinion… there will be end up being 4-5 scholarships open for 2024 and ORU missed out on taking a HS kid as insurance. 

I wonder how different recruiting will be from now on. It seems that signing a player like Demari Williams from Arizona State who could still have four years of eligibility is more valuable then signing Demari out of high school as transferring a 2nd time would cost him a year of eligibility. A true freshman could transfer after 1 year with no repercussion. 

I think Freshman are still very important to have in your pipeline but I think finding the “right” fit freshman is even more important then before. It will be very interesting to follow many of the names that ORU recruits and misses on as they may still make it to campus via the transfer route I.e. Joy from Wichita, Dayton Forsythe at OU, Connor Dow at OSU, ect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

There’s only two scholarships on paper for 2024 (Weaver and Thompson). Those are two really important losses that can’t be replaced with high school recruits. 

There’s probably a high likelihood other players transfer out of ORU at the end of the season, but why sign a HS kid when you only *NEED* two? Obviously there are lots of recruiting philosophies, but I would hope ORU can replace Weaver and Thompson with proven players out of the portal. 

My personal opinion… there will be end up being 4-5 scholarships open for 2024 and ORU missed out on taking a HS kid as insurance. 

*sigh*

Oh, well - what the heck.  This Monday Night Football game is so boring, might as well do a little troll-feeding:

Weren't we advised a couple of weeks ago to show patience with this roster because none of the transfers were "proven players"?

LET'S SEE A SIGNING OF A "PROVEN PLAYER OUT OF THE PORTAL" THEN WE CAN TALK ABOUT DISMISSING HIGH SCHOOL RECRUITING.

P.S.  Just a sprinkling of freshmen in the last 20 years or so who starred right off the bat for ORU, effectively "replacing important losses" on the roster:

• Josh Atkinson
  • Luke Spencer-Gardner
  • Caleb Green
  • Ken Tutt
  • Dominique Morrison
  • Warren Niles
  • Steven Roundtree
  • Damen Bell-Holter
  • Kory Billbury
  • Albert Owens
  • Emmanuel Nzekwesi
  • Kevin Obanor
  • Max Abmas

Bottom line:  when freshmen are good enough, they can contribute immediately, and immensely.

The trick is signing the ones that are good enough...

Obanor came in at semester and redshirted…. Hardly a star as a freshman. Max was solid but hardly a star as a freshman. 

Nzekwesi was a good freshman on a terrible team…. Didn’t even qualify for the conference tournament. Much easier for freshmen to play on bad teams. Albert Owens has the record for most losses in an ORU uniform… not exactly who I would point.  Beyond that I only recognize 3-4 names, forgive me I’m not an ORU lifer. 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

LET'S SEE A SIGNING OF A "PROVEN PLAYER OUT OF THE PORTAL" THEN WE CAN TALK ABOUT DISMISSING HIGH SCHOOL RECRUITING.

Issac McBride, Connor Vanover, Patrick Mwamba all come to mind… Kareem was an immediate starter his first year out of JUCO. 

I hate to break it to you Old Titan but between the portal, NIL and the Covid year, comparing 2012 rosters to 2024 rosters are apples and oranges. Surely your head hasn’t been buried that deep in the ground!

I would disagree with you about Max.  Max was a great player his freshman year.  Even in the scrimmage at Arkansas Fort Smith before the regular season started , it was clear Max was a stud.

• Upvote 1

This thread is getting interesting....😛

Before the Sweet 16 run, ORU relied mostly on freshmen to build the program.  Since the breakthrough, the Eagles have built primarily with transfers from Power 5 schools.  If Coach continues to win 20 plus games then he will still have transfers that want to come to Tulsa but if ORU goes back to being average then he may have to build with freshmen again.  Success opens more doors.  

It is an interesting topic with regards to transfers and high school players.  I think that guys that ORU gets out of the portal who are basically red shirt freshmen are most likely just slightly ahead or even with high school players.  So, a coach could recruit either one but the real prize is to get experienced transfers that can win right away.  It is harder said than done but experience usually helps a coach win and keep their job.  

Kevin Obanor "hardly a star" his freshman year?? 

Here's all that Kevin accomplished his freshman year of play:

• Freshman All-American (College Insider)
  • Summit League Freshman of the Year
  • Summit League Sixth Man of the Year
  • All-Summit League Second Team
  • Summit League All-Newcomer Team
  • Summit League Player of the Week (Feb. 11)
  • Sixth highest scoring average (14.9 ppg) for a freshman in ORU history
  • T-Seventh highest rebounding average (7.4 rpg) for a freshman in ORU history

I should have known this exercise was futile.  Come to think of it, everything is great; it's wonderful that ORU signed no one in the Early Signing Period; freshmen aren't worth the trouble to recruit; who needs four-year players; "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain", yada, yada, yada.

Monday Night Football is now mercifully over; time to hit the rack... 😴

• Upvote 1

Interesting we are talking recruiting woes when our new head coach is touted as being a recruiting genius. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2