National Signing Day

Old Titan

It’s not a great sign. 

Seems like a reversal to the last few years Sutton was here.

Striking out or not even offering recruits then grabbing random guys last minute before the season starts. 

Mills was able to have success because he prioritized recruiting and built the team methodically by getting ORU’s name out there and making a lot of offers.

Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see signs of the progress Mills made continuing.

• Upvote 1

Nice post, @Eaglefan 21   We need to keep things in perspective. The results will be apparent in the next year or two. We obviously don’t know what is going on behind the scenes

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/27/2023 at 10:31 PM, ORUJason said:

I would disagree with you about Max.  Max was a great player his freshman year.  Even in the scrimmage at Arkansas Fort Smith before the regular season started , it was clear Max was a stud.

I concur. Here's a brief summary of Max as a freshman:

2019-20 (Freshman)

• 2019-20 Summit League All-Newcomer Team
  • T-Seventh most 3-pointers made (87) in a single season in ORU history
  • Seventh most 3-pointers attempted (238) in a single season in ORU history
  • Eighth highest scoring average (14.5 ppg) for a freshman in ORU history

One of only two ORU players to start all 31 games ... Closed the year 39th in the NCAA and one of two freshman to rank in the nation's top 40 for made 3-pointers (87) ... Ranked third on the team scoring 14.5 points per game reaching double figures 23 times, including nine performances of at least 20 points ... Was the highest scoring true freshman in The Summit League totaling 448 points, including a season-best 27 points against North Dakota (1/11) ... Led The Summit League averaging 2.8 3-pointers per contest, while his 37 percent (87-238) shooting from distance ranked second in the conference ... Drained six 3-pointers on three occasions with the last coming in the quarterfinals of The Summit League Championships versus Omaha (3/8) ... Finished second on the team totaling 32 steals, including a season-high four at Chicago State (12/17) ... Shot 41 percent (158-384) from the floor and 82 percent (45-55) at the free throw line ... Registered 2.2 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game posting season bests of five rebounds and four assists, while adding seven blocks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/27/2023 at 11:39 PM, Old Titan said:

Come to think of it, everything is great; it's wonderful that ORU signed no one in the Early Signing Period; freshmen aren't worth the trouble to recruit; who needs four-year players; "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain", yada, yada, yada.

Haha who said this? If you read my original response I actually agreed with you… 👇🏼👇🏼

On 11/27/2023 at 7:04 PM, GoldenEagleFan said:

My personal opinion… there will be end up being 4-5 scholarships open for 2024 and ORU missed out on taking a HS kid as insurance. 

I was wrong on Obanor. I thought you said freshman year not redshirt freshman year. And while I don’t necessarily agree that Max was great as a freshman, I can respect anyone who has that opinion. Greatness is always judged differently in different circles. 

I think great programs are built on the backs of 4-year (or at times 5-year) players. I also know there’s a spring signing period. I don’t think there’s a rush to sign HS kids in the early period when:

A) there’s only 2 scholarships to get and

B) a lot of HS kids are going to be overlooked in the spring due to the emphasis on the transfer portal… this would give schools like ORU a chance to sign a HS kid who might get passed over by a bigger school. 

Early signing periods are great, but if I’m a HS recruit and I look at this roster and I see the potential of McBride, Bedford, Miller, Williams, Navarro, Moore, Amboree all returning I would be hesitant to sign in the fall. But do I know?! 😂

7 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

B) a lot of HS kids are going to be overlooked in the spring due to the emphasis on the transfer portal… this would give schools like ORU a chance to sign a HS kid who might get passed over by a bigger school.

This is a good point @GoldenEagleFan. The landscape and demand for high school players has shifted.

A lot of P5 coaches aren’t even looking at high school players unless they are can’t miss Top 25 guys. The Athletic ran an article about this with an interview with Izzo a few months ago.

There will be a trickle down effect and programs like ORU could benefit in the spring.

• Like 1

This reminds me of a lot of previous arguments, such as ORU refusing to play in MTE tournaments, or insisting on so many non-D1 opponents, where ORU comes out looking bad but the company line is, "Oh, you just wait, we know what we're doing, we've got a plan," blah, blah, blah.

All I know is this:  everyone else is playing in MTE tournaments, eveyone else is playing fewer non-D1 opponents, and everyone else is signing high school prospects in November.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

All I know is this:  everyone else is playing in MTE tournaments, eveyone else is playing fewer non-D1 opponents, and everyone else is signing high school prospects in November.

And yet ORU was the one with 30 wins and a 12 seed in the tournament last year… glad we aren’t like “everyone else”!

And I think the other summit league teams are recognizing the non-D1 scheduling philosophy of ORU and making it their own!

2 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

And yet ORU was the one with 30 wins and a 12 seed in the tournament last year… glad we aren’t like “everyone else”!

And I think the other summit league teams are recognizing the non-D1 scheduling philosophy of ORU and making it their own!

LOL - MONTHS AGO we went round and round about how flat-out LUCKY it was that, despite the absence of ANY P5 opponents on the schedule, ORU's seeding was nonetheless buoyed by so many of their mid-major foes sporting curiously high NET ratings.

The NCAA noticed as well:  they tweaked their NET algorithm in the off-season in hopes of avoiding such anomalies in the future.

It's too early this season for the official NCAA RPI rankings, but it's probable when they come out that ORU's non-P5 opponents will be sporting more predictably-middling NET rankings, leaving the P5 teams on ORU's non-conference slate to assume any role in propping up ORU's ranking.  Sure glad they're on the schedule this year!

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:  Spring Signing Period for men's basketball starts in about 60 days (April 17th to May 15th).

• Seriously, where do things currently stand for ORU? 
  • Is ANYONE committed yet? 
  • When might fans expect to hear about any commitments? (realizing commitment news can't come from the school, but still...) 
  • Or, will the first that anyone hears about any new players occur only once these mystery men are signed? (if then)

Officially the strangest - and scariest - recruiting season I can recall in recent ORU Basketball history.  

WORST CASE SCENARIO:  not a word until after the season ends, then a handful of ORU bench players entering the portal in March and early April (and/or going later to NAIA schools), followed by STILL no news on new players even into mid-April, concluding in May (and mid-summer) with signings of one or two or three of what's left of the recruiting scraps.

If so, hardly a textbook approach to building a winning program... 😬

• Upvote 1

I think it is good that ORU is leaving their options open.  The Eagles have shown the ability to find good players at so many different levels: transfer portal, juco, international, and high school.  Right now they only have two scholarships open: Thompson and Weaver run out of eligiblity but everyone else could come back.  So, with only two spots open you want to be very careful in whom you bring in and weigh your options.

Of course when the portal opens anything could happen.  It could tear the team apart or maybe just guys who never play leave.  It makes recuriting such a mystery because a coach has no idea what will happen each year.  The biggest question for me: will McBride return or enter the portal.  It would be a huge win for Springmann if he can retain the all-star.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Thompson and Weaver run out of eligiblity but everyone else could come back.

You say that like it's a good thing.

I would say it's a subject for debate.

1 hour ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

I've been going back and forth on this topic quite a bit. Is the lack of recruiting news cause for concern or not? Below is the breakdown of what is going on in the Summit League and how ORU stacks up to our conference foes...

Fantastic and well-researched post (again) on this topic.  I've seen details on a couple of those SDSU and St. Thomas high school recruits - they are studs. 

The Jacks continue to impress with their high school recruiting; man-child power forward William Kyle III standing as the latest example.

Just for fun and discussion then let us say all 11 guys come back.  The good with this is that they have experience with Coach Springmann and his system.  The bad is most of them have struggled but hopefully with another year they can develop.   On a personal note: I like the guys coming back because you know them and have already been rooting for them all year long.  I also think it helps team chemistry but it would be shocking if all 11 return.  McBride will get offers from a few Power 5s and even Bedford may get some interest from say teams at around the SMU level.

All 11 guys come back???  Perish the thought....agree with Old Titan that its not a good thing.....this team has many serious flaws that are not likely to change...we need BETTER PLAYERS who will HUSTLE, REBOUND and DEFEND.....if all 11 return then TheEagleman might need to consider his options......🍷🙄🍺

• Like 1

ORU needs McBride, Bedford and Herron to return and they can build around that.  Those are the core players they must keep.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Old Titan said:

You say that like it's a good thing.

I would say it's a subject for debate.

COULD is the word I used, not SHOULD come back. I actually think that top to bottom this team is above average and relatively talented. We have all seen some ORU teams in the last decade that were devoid of talent. However, they just don't play with enough urgency, drive, and desire. One small bright spot is that I have noticed several times that when Demari Williams is standing next to his teammates, he looks to be just slightly shorter then Sir Issac at 6'9. He will be a nice addition next year.