Wichita State Predictions

eagle88

The Shockers have improved to 2-9 in conference play after a 20 point victory over UTSA at home before falling to Florida Atlantic by 7, also at home.  The Shockers currently tied with the Roadrunners for 12th place in the American Athletic Conference.  Both teams hold an imposing 1 game lead over Temple to stay out of last place

This week the Shockers are back on the road this week with games at East Carolina and Charlotte.

At this point in the season.....hard to say which TheEagleman enjoys more.....an ORU win or a WSU loss....hummmm??? :hc_mills:

• 2 weeks later...

Mills had his hands full taking over for a Shockers team that was the best mid major not named Gongoza for multiple years.  After the heights Gregg Marshall took them to (Final Four and some Sweet 16s) any coach is going to struggle.  Mills will have to figure it out in year 2 or he may be an assistant coach again.

If Springmann and Mills both struggle next year as well, could we see Paul Mills back at ORU as head coach for the 2025-2026 season?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ORUJason said:

If Springmann and Mills both struggle next year as well, could we see Paul Mills back at ORU as head coach for the 2025-2026 season?

Mills would go back to Baylor as Drew's DoBo before he came back to ORU as HCPM.  I believe that the Paul Mills's era is in our rearview mirror.

• Upvote 3

This season does make me appreciate what he did at ORU, he left the program much better than what he arrived to!

• Like 2

Actually he really didn't....but I guess the debate would be...Did Mills leave the fridge bare or has Springmann spoiled the milk....🤔

• Haha 1

OK, 2014....TheEagleman will concede you made some VERY good points there.....guess i am just a bitter old guy from Philadelphia and you all know how we are up here in the Northeast.....and all is right in the world today as HCPM and his WSU squad were "shocked" at home today by those "mighty" Temple Owls in OT.....love it when a Philly team sticks a fork in the side of our former coach.....he's probably getting roasted on that WSU fan board.....its a beautiful thing..... :hc_mills:

No worries, I'm from the Northeast(ish - Buffalo) as well so I get it.

I think its a bit easier for me(or people my age) to be okay with what others call "disloyalty", especially in sports. I've seen my favorite teams, Raptors and Bills go through endless head coaches. Two of my favorite NBA players, DeRozan and Chris Paul have played for 3+ teams. Increased mobility with NIL and transfer rules etc, it's just what I've seen! Money and "chasing happiness" run supreme in the sports world.

Heck outside of sports, even in my time at ORU I experienced a year of Fagan, BWilson with Rutland in between. I personally held the same job for 7 years post ORU while my friends changed jobs 3-4 times(and got raises may I add). I think it's the way the world is turning, "loyalty" in the business or sports arenas is not as important. Good or bad, I see why people who have been around a bit longer are not a fan of all the changes and "disloyalty", I get it!

I hope Springmann can turn it around, and despite my criticism honestly hope he does well here and finds success. But we may be deceiving ourselves if we think he or any mid-major coach is "sooo different" from Mills and won't be open to another opportunity if it arises down the road. Yes, Mills maybe could have handled it better, but "there's no easy way to break up". Just my two cents, and unsolicited social commentary 🤣.

Edited by 2014Grad
  • Upvote 6

On 2/23/2024 at 10:10 AM, Bogus Smith said:

Mills would go back to Baylor as Drew's DoBo before he came back to ORU as HCPM.  I believe that the Paul Mills's era is in our rearview mirror.

100%

• 3 weeks later...

Reading that article, it seems ORU wasn't the only team this season that didn't perform up to fans' expectations. Do you think many players, in general, are so focused on looking for another opportunity for "next year" that they're distracted, or aren't as concerned about doing well in the moment? If they already have one foot out the door, it's kind of hard to play well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titansforever said:

Reading that article, it seems ORU wasn't the only team this season that didn't perform up to fans' expectations. Do you think many players, in general, are so focused on looking for another opportunity for "next year" that they're distracted, or aren't as concerned about doing well in the moment? If they already have one foot out the door, it's kind of hard to play well.

It could be the reason for so much of the "hero ball" that was played this year.  Attempting to show off their skills in front of potential suitors and/or creating a highlight reel that they can push out to potential suitors.

• Like 2