Wichita State Predictions

eagle88

Can we agree that Wichita State threads belong in NCAA and Summit?  Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2023 at 3:58 PM, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman may have to adjust that record from 14-17 to about 11-20.....could be a long season  for the former ORU Coach....what's his name again?  :hc_mills:

Eagleman, I have to hand it to you...you are more than likely going to be very close with this prediction.  The Shockers currently 8-10 but, more importantly, 0-5 in conference play. Their best candidates to get those 3 additional wins probably are Temple, UTSA, Tulsa and Rice at home.  Tulsa is such a dumpster fire that maybe they get a win at the Reynolds Center on 1/31.  That could be a very ugly game.  Haven't had the time to check the mood of the Shockers fan base but I doubt it is forgiving and understanding.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

The Shockers currently 8-10 but, more importantly, 0-5 in conference play. Their best candidates to get those 3 additional wins probably are Temple, UTSA, Tulsa and Rice at home.  Tulsa is such a dumpster fire that maybe they get a win at the Reynolds Center on 1/31.  That could be a very ugly game.  

A friend of mine actually bought tickets for a bunch of us to the TU-Wichita pillow fight on the 31st.

Looking forward to basically booing everyone in sight. 😎

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

A friend of mine actually bought tickets for a bunch of us to the TU-Wichita pillow fight on the 31st.

You want to borrow this to make it interesting? 

ref.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texasgrip said:

You want to borrow this to make it interesting? 

VERY tempted to wear my ORU hoodie and/or hat to stare down the blue hairs in their crossing-guard-yellow windbreakers:  "HEY - WHAT ARE YOU LOOKIN' AT, OLD TIMER??"

fight GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

VERY tempted to wear my ORU hoodie and/or hat to stare down the blue hairs in their crossing-guard-yellow windbreakers:  "HEY - WHAT ARE YOU LOOKIN' AT, OLD TIMER??"

fight GIF

steve austin wrestling GIF by WWE

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Chris Pratt Tom GIF by Parks and Recreation

Shockers lose 8th in a row at home tonight vs. mediocre E. Carolina....such a shame.....😛:hc_mills:😛

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Shockers lose 8th in a row at home tonight vs. mediocre E. Carolina....such a shame.....😛:hc_mills:😛

Can't wait to see "The Battle For The Cellar" next week when the 0-and-6-in-conference-play Shockers visit the 1-and-5-and-counting Tulsa Golden Hurlicane.

Can only imagine what words of inspiration might be scrawled on the Dri-Erase board in the pre-game locker room:   "Hey, SOMEBODY Has To Win!" 🤪

• Haha 1

BREAKING NEWS:  Remember how HCPM waxed so elequently right after the move about the Wichita State fanbase being so special?

Well, midway through the season, he's finding out just how special they are:  the game thread on the Shocker fan forum for tonight's loss to middling East Carolina is at NINETEEN PAGES...and counting!

I'm just now getting into the gist of it, but suffice it to say most of the comments are NOT about how special HCPM is.... 😬

Wichita State vs. East Carolina Game Thread 1/24/24

• Haha 1

Takes thick skin to be a head coach. After skimming that thread I'm guessing HCPM doesn't spend much time reading their board . . .

• Like 1

Maybe I’m just too young to have deep rooted loyalty ideas, but if you offer to more than double my income, unless God tells me “NOOOOO” I’m taking it 100/100 times. He was a class act while here, and I wish I had gone to ORU ten years later to enjoy the success he led the team to.  I hope he does well at Wichita State, and I’ll only cheer against him if he plays ORU.

Edited by 2014Grad
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I speak only for myself.  I don't blame Mills for taking an offer to more than double his income.  I hold him accountable for lying to his recruits, our administration and this fanbase when he said "you can win national championships at ORU" and "I'm here to build the next Gonzaga" when it is clear by his actions that he didn't believe it himself.  If he did, he would have said to Wichita State "Wow!  That's a really great offer but I'm building something special at a place that is very special and when we have completed the journey the money will be there for me."

That having been said, I'm just gonna say that I'm petty enough to find it interesting that he left a really good frying pan to jump into the fire and he may find the money is greener but the grass isn't...at least so far.  (yes I did take a mixed metaphor class online taught by several famous board contributors).

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Otis 83 said:

I speak only for myself.  I don't blame Mills for taking an offer to more than double his income.  I hold him accountable for lying to his recruits, our administration and this fanbase when he said "you can win national championships at ORU" and "I'm here to build the next Gonzaga" when it is clear by his actions that he didn't believe it himself. 

I think that’s a fair statement, except I have a different view on the “lying” and “didn’t believe it himself”. I don’t think he came in to the job saying “I’m going to win championships and then leave for Wichita State”. Like anyone at a new job you are optimistic and view yourself there long term. Some of that stuff is “coach talk”, is he supposed to say “I’m committed to ORU, but if a life changing opportunity opens up, I may take it?” New coaches and players always talk about championships to inspire the fanbase. Sometimes opportunities come up, and you realize your life is headed elsewhere job wise, now is that lying or just life? I don’t know. Now I have never met him, so others may correct me, but until the Wichita State signing happened, he seemed all in and locked in for ORU. I think he brought us closer to Gonzaga than we were before him. All that said, I get why people are upset, I may just not be one of them.

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman not really wanting to jump into this but I will anyway....I could not agree with Otis more....i don't blame anyone for taking a bigger paying larger school job....BUT...all the commentary from Coach Mills was as Otis said.....he loved it here....he could talk about Jesus at ORU....he could mold mighty men of God....blah blah blah.....sorry but Mills was getting decent $$$ at ORU and we all bought his act.....we thought he was at 7777 So. Lewis for the duration and was going to make us the Gonzaga for the midwest....and Millsy blew us off for the first better money bigger school opportunity....i don't root against the Shockers but am not unhappy that it's not working out.....as pointed out....The grass isn't always greener.....Coach Mills had almost a job for life at ORU and he took the bait.....he's probably going to regret it but oh well.....we have moved on....may God Bless, Paul Mills.....but he may not like the road that the Lord takes him on.......:hc_mills:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

That having been said, I'm just gonna say that I'm petty enough to find it interesting that he left a really good frying pan to jump into the fire and he may find the money is greener but the grass isn't...at least so far.  (yes I did take a mixed metaphor class online taught by several famous board contributors).

You clearly excelled at it!!🤣

But you had excellent teachers!!

• Thanks 1

What bothers me about HCPM's departure is the information I received in January, 2022:  in the middle of the season, he had hired a big-time agent whose marching orders were to find him the best gig possible for the coming year (which he did).

There was apparently nothing special about it being Wichita State, though Mills tried to make it sound like it was a dream job for him.  It was just the best possible landing spot for someone who, for whatever reason, wanted out.  

His actions in the immediate aftermath, flipping an early ORU signee (Joy Ighovodja) to the Shockers, then attempting the same thing with Kareem Thompson, was in direct conflict with what he promised President Billy Wilson he would not do.

I don't really have a huge grudge against the guy, but for someone who spoke so much about being a different coach with a different philosophy about running a program, it was disappointing to learn from his actions that he was just another ambitious coach.  Good luck to him...I guess. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

What bothers me about HCPM's departure is the information I received in January, 2022:  in the middle of the season, he had hired a big-time agent whose marching orders were to find him the best gig possible for the coming year (which he did).

There was apparently nothing special about it being Wichita State, though Mills tried to make it sound like it was a dream job for him.  It was just the best possible landing spot for someone who, for whatever reason, wanted out.  

His actions in the immediate aftermath, flipping an early ORU signee (Joy Ighovodja) to the Shockers, then attempting the same thing with Kareem Thompson, was in direct conflict with what he promised President Billy Wilson he would not do.

I don't really have a huge grudge against the guy, but for someone who spoke so much about being a different coach with a different philosophy about running a program, it was disappointing to learn from his actions that he was just another ambitious coach.  Good luck to him...I guess. 

This insider info is helpful and gives perspective, thanks! It will be interesting to see how things develop in Wichita State over the next few years...