Opening night - UT Arlington

Keenan Henderson

With Jones being in foul trouble and not in the game much in the second half that left ORU to play small ball with Weaver at five.  He just struggles with rebounding but did block 8 shots.  I am guessing DJ will lead the country in blocks (yes it's just one game) after tonight and might have tied Connor's record for most blocks in a game.

1 minute ago, Old Titan said:

Could be worse...

...could be OSU.

Take home the check AND the win!! 

Show Me The Money GIF

18 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

I am guessing DJ will lead the country in blocks (yes it's just one game) after tonight and might have tied Connor's record for most blocks in a game.

Weaver's eight blocks goes down as tied for the fifth most blocks in a single game in ORU history. (Source: Game writeup by Jarrett Hardwick)

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that this game will be regarded as a really BAD loss once we get to mid-season.  UTA is not a very good basketball team.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Could be worse...

...could be OSU.

Maybe OSU was too busy celebrating their football win.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS

• ORU - 6
  • UTA - 22

That's it...that's the post. 🤷‍♂️

Actually, OT, while the above post is absolutely correct, the rebounding story was even WORSE than that.

As you know, generally a team will rebound 75% of missed shots on the defensive side and 25% on the offensive side.

UTA won 82.5% of ORU's missed shots (vs. a target of 75%) and 45% of their own missed shots (almost double the 25% target).

Then, look at the number of TEAM rebounds included in those totals (these primarily would be rebounds that are not secured by either team and land out of bounds).  UTA had 3 team rebounds out of their 55 total rebounds, or 5.5%. ORU had a whopping SEVEN team rebounds out of their 34 total rebounds, or 20.6% (a HUGE number). So, not only was ORU totally crushed on the boards, over 20% of their total rebounds came on plays where they STILL didn't secure the ball, but were awarded the ball out of bounds.  Block out, get the ball, and HOLD onto it!

Total domination by UTA tonight in the rebounding battle.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Hopefully ORU will be victorious over Mid American Christian this weekend. 😃

I'll be there!

• Like 1

Obviously this game was lost due to our lack of rebounding. The cause seemed to be a lack of hustle on the Eagles part. It was extremely frustrating as a fan watching UTA get 2-4 offensive rebounds on a single possession! This is inexcusable in my opinion. Even with our lack of intensity and hustle we had a chance until Kareem and McBride made key turnovers late in the game. This was a classic example that a better team can be beat by a team that hustles and wants it more. I hope we have no more games where we are out hustled because that is something we can control.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Actually, OT, while the above post is absolutely correct, the rebounding story was even WORSE than that.

As you know, generally a team will rebound 75% of missed shots on the defensive side and 25% on the offensive side.

UTA won 82.5% of ORU's missed shots (vs. a target of 75%) and 45% of their own missed shots (almost double the 25% target).

Then, look at the number of TEAM rebounds included in those totals (these primarily would be rebounds that are not secured by either team and land out of bounds).  UTA had 3 team rebounds out of their 55 total rebounds, or 5.5%. ORU had a whopping SEVEN team rebounds out of their 34 total rebounds, or 20.6% (a HUGE number). So, not only was ORU totally crushed on the boards, over 20% of their total rebounds came on plays where they STILL didn't secure the ball, but were awarded the ball out of bounds.  Block out, get the ball, and HOLD onto it!

The Mavs were just quicker to the ball all night. They were diving on the floor and into the stands and ORU was doing a lot of ball watching. UTA was just more fired up and wanted it more. That has to change!

9 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that this game will be regarded as a really BAD loss once we get to mid-season.  UTA is not a very good basketball team.

I agree.

• Upvote 1

It was ours to win - or lose. Unfortunately, we settled on the latter.

Well said, Blue. I think this was the biggest takeaway from last night. That, and free throw shooting. Hopefully it was just an off night in that regard.

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Could be worse...

...could be OSU.

I graduated from ACU as well! Go Wildcats!

We were outhustled but what about the lack of size on the floor.  Jones only 12 minutes and Herron only 5 minutes of play the whole game, which most of the game meant the Eagles had 4 guards and 1 forward on the floor.  ORU needs Williams  and Smith to get healthy to give some size to that lineup.  

Coach basically only played 6 players and 4 starters had between 37-40 minutes of playing time.  I wonder if the guys ran out of gas in the last 8-10 minutes when the Mavs went on their run?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

We were outhustled but what about the lack of size on the floor.  Jones only 12 minutes and Herron only 5 minutes of play the whole game, which most of the game meant the Eagles had 4 guards and 1 forward on the floor.  ORU needs Williams  and Smith to get healthy to give some size to that lineup.  

Coach basically only played 6 players and 4 starters had between 37-40 minutes of playing time.  I wonder if the guys ran out of gas in the last 8-10 minutes when the Mavs went on their run?

I agree with you that size was a factor last night - but not the only factor.

I know first game of the season we're just trying to see what we've got but felt like we were plugging in new pieces to last year's team.

Surely the plan is not for McBride to take 20 shots a game with half of those being the James Harden stepback 3 variety. Right?

On that note, more DJ Weaver with the ball on the extended post/wing. Less high ball screen and Iso with the PG dribbling the air out of the ball. That jumper by DJ with about 1:45 left out of a timeout to stop the bleeding was nice.

I like Kareem handling the ball more but not that much. 

Bedford and Miller looked really good and the perimeter defense was better with them in at the same time.

The halfcourt 2-3 and press looked good(?) but probably contributed to the wheels falling off on the rebounding end.

Agree about the effort and physicality. That was the domain of Jurgens and Mwamba. Need someone to step up, although Jones fouling out in 12 minutes was impressive.

• Upvote 3

Am I crazy to say that I think we missed Max Abmas’ rebounding last night? He always seemed like a really good rebounder for his size and position. I remember at times when the ball would be loose underneath the basket, he would be the one to make sure we secured the board. Our guards are going to have to help the bigs out with rebounding. There was one uparticular possession last night where Weaver did a great job of boxing Wilson out, the ball even hit the floor, but none of our guards crashed down to help secure the board.

The team will have to learn from this game, but the good news is that the issues they had are fixable. I still think this will be a good team in conference. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Idig32 said:

Am I crazy to say that I think we missed Max Abmas’ rebounding last night? He always seemed like a really good rebounder for his size and position. I remember at times when the ball would be loose underneath the basket, he would be the one to make sure we secured the board. Our guards are going to have to help the bigs out with rebounding. There was one uparticular possession last night where Weaver did a great job of boxing Wilson out, the ball even hit the floor, but none of our guards crashed down to help secure the board.

The team will have to learn from this game, but the good news is that the issues they had are fixable. I still think this will be a good team in conference. 

They missed Max in a lot of ways! 😄😦

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Idig32 said:

Great point. We just don't have the bigs that can control the paint and keep their man off the boards AND go and secure the ball. Weaver is undersized and is doing all he can  just to try to keep his man away from the ball. Can't ask him to also go and grab the board as well. Our guards have to help out if we're going to run smaller lineups like that. 

• Upvote 3