Opening night - UT Arlington

Keenan Henderson

Starting Five:  McBride, Bedford (!), Thompson, Weaver, Jones.

Bedford providing the offensive spark early; very aggressive to the rim.

• Like 2

DJ with 5 blocks in the first half!  So much for missing Connor's length and shot making ability.  ORU up 5 at halftime and McBride has really struggled shooting.  Who would have thought Bedford would be in double figures in his first game at ORU.  I did not even think he would play much less start tonight!

Weird first half:

• McBride uncharacteristically laying bricks from three.
  • DJ Weaver with FIVE blocks and some impressive athleticism on both ends of the floor.
  • Jaylen Bedford, who shot 85% from the FT line last season at Trinidad State, misses four straight free throws but still leads all scorers with 11.
  • Josh Jones with the obligitory freshman early foul trouble but looked good in just 7 minutes of play.
  • Herron and Phipps saw time but contributed little.

ORU the quicker team; Bedford and Jaylen Miller a formidable pair defensively on the perimeter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Pregame medical status, from the audio broadcast:  Demari and Pablo both "have knee injuries and will be out for a few weeks" (!), plus Kareem turned an ankle this past week "but he should be fine; he's a tough guy."

Is Ashton Smith injured as well? Looks to be in street clothes.

Who is Bedford??🤔

• Haha 1

Maybe we just need to open up at home...looks like another opening night El Foldo.....😬

Mavs just hustled more all game 

last 5 possessions of the game had no urgency 

• Upvote 3

Lots of up and down play tonight, which is to be expected.  The defense was pretty good holding the Mavs to 35 percent from the field but getting outrebounded by 21 (55-34).  I still have a feeling rebounding is going to be a problem this year.

McBride had a tough night but Weaver and Thompson were on point.  They just need to finish games and win some close ones and ORU will be ok.  Long way to go and McBride hopefully will have better performances.  He must have felt the pressure of being the guy tonight.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS:

• ORU - 6
  • UTA - 22

That's it...that's the game. 🤷‍♂️

Make five more free throws during the game.  UTA had nine more shots (primarily due to 2nd chance shots from OReb).  We make 33% of those additional shots (3 of 9) or the five free throws and we win.  We lost a very winnable game.  However, there are a lot of bright spots and we will get better.  At the end of the day, it is about winning three games in March.

• Upvote 4

ORU was up 53-47 and then they just could not finish giving up an 18-6 run by the Mavs with about 4 minutes to go and that was the ball game.  The leadership was missing in the final ten minutes of the match up.  It is just not easy finishing games on the road, hence the reason the Eagles have not won an opening game on the road in 40 plus years.   This will be a learning experience for the guys.

1 minute ago, Bogus Smith said:

At the end of the day, it is about winning three games in March.

Very true @Bogus Smith!

I doubt McBride will shoot like that again.

On to the next one!

• Upvote 1

I thought it felt like a team still learning to play together. Over all I thought we outplayed UTA, but lost because of the stats already mentioned - rebounds, free throws, and shooting percentage. As this team gels I think they'll be okay. I'm a bit concerned about rebounding, though.

I'd say there's more to be encouraged about than discouraged about after the first game.

• Upvote 4

Hopefully ORU will be victorious over Mid American Christian this weekend. 😃