23-24 Preseason Prognostications

Old Titan

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Resisting the temptation to mention his favorite quote re: the opera and corpulent women. 

Corpulent!  That’s an SAT word. 

i guess no one else wants to play our trivia game. 

Sheesh!! I broke the rules and looked him up on Google days ago!!  You guys that know should post then answer for those of us less informed!!

Even OT's hint was Google-able! 

• Haha 1

Dick Motta...for the 3 people who care!

• Like 1

Mark Riggs is his name; Summit League basketball officiating is his game.  Remember the name because we will probably see him in a few games this season.  Call him out by name because he likes to call a lot of fouls.  However, he is probably better than the Italian Stallion, Bo Boroski, who was always part of the game.

MarkRiggs.jpg

BoBoroski.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bogus Smith said:

Mark Riggs is his name; Summit League basketball officiating is his game.  Remember the name because we will probably see him in a few games this season.  Call him out by name because he likes to call a lot of fouls.  However, he is probably better than the Italian Stallion, Bo Boroski, who was always part of the game.

MarkRiggs.jpg

BoBoroski.jpg

Indeed!! I remember Bo - will remember the name Mark Riggs!!

• Like 1

Mark Riggs is awful and has been for years. My heart sinks every time I see him at the start of one of our games.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Pretty sure, Mark Riggs is from Fargo, ND.  Enough said….

• Haha 2

As stated in the Denver game thread, Riggs is simply bad, as opposed to jerks like Bo Boroski and John Yorkovich, who carried personal grudges against Caleb Green and Scott Sutton, respectively (but not respectfully - lol).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

As stated in the Denver game thread, Riggs is simply bad, as opposed to jerks like Bo Boraski and John Yorkovich, who had personal grudges against Caleb Green and Scott Sutton, respectively (but not respectfully - lol).

Since we started this discussion I've been trying to remember the name of John Yorkovich but couldn't come up with it. Yorkovich was the worst official ever to take the court in an ORU basketball game. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tmh8286 said:

Yorkovich was the worst official ever to take the court in an ORU basketball game.

Because typically he never called games in the Mabee Center; he was figuratively and literally a Dakota homer.

1 hour ago, ORU40 said:

And you know who you are. 🤣

Are you for real?  I’ve been expecting you to trot out a Dick Motta story for our reading pleasure. 

20 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Because typically he never called games in the Mabee Center; he was figuratively and literally a Dakota homer.

Not to beat a dead horse (maybe not THAT dead - more about that in a second) but I Googled Yorkovich and found a humorous thread from this board from 2009 here, and an article from Yorkovich's glory days, entitled, All fired up: Bison prevail as Oral Roberts coach gets ejected in last-minute tirade. Again, pretty humorous in the rear view mirror. From the article: "I have a history with that guy," Sutton said."

But are we done with Yorkovich? Maybe not - he officiated  a game between Cal State Bakersfield and South Dakota on December 9, 2023. He's officiated other games this season as well. Don't be shocked if we see the return of John Yorkovich this season!

7 minutes ago, tmh8286 said:

Not to beat a dead horse (maybe not THAT dead - more about that in a second) but I Googled Yorkovich and found a humorous thread from this board from 2009 here, and an article from Yorkovich's glory days, entitled, All fired up: Bison prevail as Oral Roberts coach gets ejected in last-minute tirade. Again, pretty humorous in the rear view mirror. From the article: "I have a history with that guy," Sutton said."

But are we done with Yorkovich? Maybe not - he officiated  a game between Cal State Bakersfield and South Dakota on December 9, 2023. He's officiated other games this season as well. Don't be shocked if we see the return of John Yorkovich this season!

His son is an official; not sure if his name is John as well. 

It does appear that Yorkovich Sr. called a handful of Summit League conference games last year. 😬

• Upvote 1

Just now, Old Titan said:

His son is an official; not sure if his name is John as well. 

I don't think Yorkovich Sr. called any Summit League conference games last season.

Makes sense - Yorkie senior has been retired for quite a few years - seems odd he'd get back into it at this point.

1 minute ago, tmh8286 said:

Makes sense - Yorkie senior has been retired for quite a few years - seems odd he'd get back into it at this point.

I was wrong; I edited my previous post.