ORU vs DBU

MrsSmith

close enough...lol.....2 years after TheEagleman graduated.....can't say I was following college baseball back in those days....married and raising kids.....😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Otis 83

• ManiacAlum

• theeagleman5

• Texasgrip

47 minutes ago, 74Titan said:

This might be ORU's best team since 1981 (Mike Moore's last year). 

The college game is different now than it was 40 years ago, but all things considered, this team arguably hits better (top to bottom) than the ‘81 team (which I had the distinct pleasure of working with as a Sports Media student assistant) and is better defensively. 

Breeze (3B), McCroskey (SS), and Brothers (2B) each made fantastic charging plays on soft dribblers late in the game, any one of which could have easily gone for critical infield hits in a 1-run game.

ORU’s defense everywhere on the field was the most glaring distinction between all four teams in the region, and does not get enough credit. This is an incredibly balanced team both at the plate and in the field. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The college game is different now than it was 40 years ago, but all things considered, this team arguably hits better (top to bottom) than the ‘81 team (which I had the distinct pleasure of working with as a Sports Media student assistant) and is better defensively. 

Breeze (3B), McCroskey (SS), and Brothers (2B) each made fantastic charging plays on soft dribblers late in the game, any one of which could have easily gone for critical infield hits in a 1-run game.

ORU’s defense everywhere on the field was the most glaring distinction between all four teams in the region, and does not get enough credit. This is an incredibly balanced team both at the plate and in the field. 

Totally agree, OT.  The batting, defense and the closer are all superior to those early 80's teams, which relied on elite starting pitching.  And, although the 1981 team had the better record, the 1980 ballclub was just as good, if not better.  Three starting pitchers (Moore, Jeff Heathcock and Mike Mason) all played multiple seasons in the major leagues.  That 1980 club lost a 3-2 NCAA first round heart-breaker to Kevin McReynolds and Arkansas which I would still regard as the best baseball game I have ever seen.

The 2023 team has won with decent starting pitching and relievers, solid hitting, slugging and baserunning, and with elite defense and a knock-down reliever.  And, add in some bonus points for team chemistry, which is off the charts.

• Upvote 2

Anybody notice that DBU was -240 on the betting line last night....TheEagleman kicking himself for not seeing that earlier in the day because i would have considered a wager on the Good Guys....yeah, I know....just a one time thing because of that absurd line....can't believe the Patriots were THAT heavy a favorite.....it will be interesting to see the line vs. Oregon.....Vegas showed zero respect for the winning streak last night.....:tb-white:

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know where I can see the entire postgame press conference with Coach Folmar and the two players?

1 hour ago, dave said:

Does anyone know where I can see the entire postgame press conference with Coach Folmar and the two players?

I'm trying to find it, without any luck so far.

34 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I'm trying to find it, without any luck so far.

i've looked all over for a regional site on youtube, NCAA.com or ok state athletics site  with no luck.

i did find that DBU was posting their press conferences on their athletics youtube page.  i guess it may be up to the individual schools to record and release their own press conferences and ORU chose not to.

5 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Congrats to Coach Folmar and team.  I've been sceptical about Folmar's ability to get ORU out of a regional.  Several posters said earlier in the season that this team was different and you were all right.  Could not be happier to have been wrong.

Next up, get Folmar and staff an extension done before they get on the bird to Oregon.  I've got a feeling his phone is about to heat up.

Lastly, great job by the fans in attendance, it sounded great on TV.

I heard a rumor before the Washington game that he already had a new contract on his desk, and if he gets to 50 wins this year he will earn a nice bonus.

Just wanted to point out a couple of things from last night's game before moving to the Oregon Super Regional:

• Of course, huge 2-strike 2-out left on left go-ahead HR by Hogan in the 6th after DBU tied the game. But the difference ended up being Quinn's huge 1-out opposite field single in another lefty vs lefty matchup. Just beautiful piece of hitting by both those guys.
  • Huge performances by Fowler, Patten, Widener, and Denton. Two massive K's by Widener in the 8th.
  • Denton, goes without saying. 3 saves in 3 nights. 7 K's in 5.0 innings work. They don't even do that in the big leagues. Pitching and defense the difference for ORU this weekend.

On to the Supers!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Anybody notice that DBU was -240 on the betting line last night....TheEagleman kicking himself for not seeing that earlier in the day because i would have considered a wager on the Good Guys....yeah, I know....just a one time thing because of that absurd line....can't believe the Patriots were THAT heavy a favorite.....it will be interesting to see the line vs. Oregon.....Vegas showed zero respect for the winning streak last night.....:tb-white:

I had the same conversation with another degenerate gambler friend (that’s a term of endearment, by the way) this morning. That was a bad line especially after DBU had to burn their last weekend starter that afternoon. 

18 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

I had the same conversation with another degenerate gambler friend (that’s a term of endearment, by the way) this morning. That was a bad line especially after DBU had to burn their last weekend starter that afternoon. 

It has been said many times but I will say it again, it is just so hard to get out of a regional through the loser's bracket. What an advantage for ORU to have a weekend starter ready while DBU is playing a bullpen game.  Even if DBU had won last night, we would have had our weeknight starter, Joshua Caravalho, ready to go today and I would have loved our chances in that situation.

• Like 1

TheEagleman guessing that Oregon will be a solid favorite at home this weekend.....might be some $$$ to be made on a certain mid major from Tulsa....:shield-logo:

• Like 1