ORU vs. Duke

ORUSwagger

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman was a bit bothered when Coach Mills was interviewed at the 12 min first half media timeout with I think the score was 15-2 and was asked what can ORU do to get back in the game?....and he answered....it's just a little bit of nerves....we will be alright.....huh?...Nerves??....all we heard was that this ORU team was "built for March"....I just had to shake my head....time for a Shamrock Shake......🍺

I was more than a bit bothered that our coach had to take time to answer a question.  I frankly don't care what his answer is because answering this question is the biggest waste of his time at the most important time in the season.  How did we get here?  Are the networks forcing the leagues to do this?  It is stupid.  You learn nothing....ever!

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

No. We can't just call up ANY team that we want to play. There are some teams, due to scheduling philosophy or budget that aren't interested. However, there are PLENTY of teams that will play us. We have chosen a scheduling philosophy that maximizes our NET and other computer rankings. Now, some may agree or disagree with that philosophy. That's up for debate.

But, this narrative that "nobody will schedule us" is simply not true. There are over 350 D-1 teams and we have about 12 or so non-conference dates to fill each year. 

Thanks for that answer, Voice. I imagine $ play a huge role then? It's just hard to believe that it all comes down to NET.

In any case, our NET ranking maybe got us to play a five. But if the five we played wasn't truly a five anyways, maybe having a lower NET and going in as a 15 seed again (or a 14 or 13) wouldn't have been that bad. Thankfully we can have this conversation and actually believe in the possibility of Dancing regularly or at least semi-regularly in the future.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ManiacAlum said:

Well, so I was the main idiot chirping 'We Want Duke!' 'We Want Duke', and we got Duke alright. We got the *bleep* outta Duke. 

You guys were right, terrible matchup for ORU. I don't know if I ever really believed we could actually win, but I just didn't expect ORU to be so thoroughly overmatched. It didn't even look like we belonged on the same floor as those guys. Just getting shots off was an ordeal. Reminded me of when I was a wide eyed 9th grader trying to move the ball in practice against the varsity.  Sheesh. 

Also, I might be bitter about ORU getting obliterated on national TV, but I just need to complain about the average 'sports themed restaurant/bar'.

15 years ago(!) on this very board I complained about the same thing while I was still living in OKC. I now live in Houston and the local establishments here are just as bad.

Yesterday, I went out early in my finest ORU gear ready to spread the gospel of Golden Eagle hoops only to find, like, half the big screens not on the tourney games. Keep in mind there are 7 Texas teams in the field and the Final Four is here. 

When I asked for a tv to be turned from spring training baseball or Cowherd, the manager asked me "what sporting event?"

These places have one job! Otherwise I can just get a six pack at the gas station and organize a combo of tvs, laptops and tablets to see all the games at my house.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

I think you should be glad more TVs in sports bars and restaurants WEREN'T tuned in....Count your blessings. 

I was mortified at 15-0.  Duke was getting more and more comfortable and we appeared to be tightening up.  I know I was...you couldn't have driven a nail up my butt with and air hammer!  I was praying for a complete power outage or something at the Amway Center.  I'm seriously disapointed that one of you guys that was there, when you realized Coach wasn't going to call a timeout, didn't pull a Fire Alarm!  It would have temporarily stopped the game, cleared the building and allowed us to re-group! 

It was just awful.  It's just too bad we had to end such a great season that way.  We're much better than that...

Rob

fire alaarm.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ron said:

Thanks for that answer, Voice. I imagine $ play a huge role then? It's just hard to believe that it all comes down to NET.

In any case, our NET ranking maybe got us to play a five. But if the five we played wasn't truly a five anyways, maybe having a lower NET and going in as a 15 seed again (or a 14 or 13) wouldn't have been that bad. Thankfully we can have this conversation and actually believe in the possibility of Dancing regularly or at least semi-regularly in the future.

Yes sir. It comes down to our scheduling philosophy under Coach Mills and AD Buttigeig Esq.

And that's fine. It's their decision. As I've said before (about many things)...just be honest. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Just 2 days ago all of us ORU fans were riding a wave of euphoria and excitement expecting/ hoping our beloved Eagles would make a run in the tournament. I feel an emotional let down today much like saying goodbye to your best friend knowing  you will not see them for a whole year. So now we have to remember the good things that have happened over the past 3 seasons. We made the tournament 2 out of the last 3 years including a sweet 16 run. We finished 30-5 this season. Very likely our recruiting will get even better and there will be more NCAA appearances in the foreseeable future. Most colleges don’t get the chance to get let down because their team rarely if ever makes the tournament. Just think we could be in the shoes of our friends at 11th and Harvard! Many positives to look at during this time and knowing the administration and Athletic Department are wanting our teams to improve on the national stage is a blessing! Not perfect but on the rise! Go Eagles and a huge thanks to the coaching staff and players who have gotten us to this level. Rome was not built overnight and neither will ORU. Our foundation is strong and can be greatly built upon.

Amen & well said!

39 minutes ago, ORob1 said:

I think you should be glad more TVs in sports bars and restaurants WEREN'T tuned in....Count your blessings. 

I was mortified at 15-0.  Duke was getting more and more comfortable and we appeared to be tightening up.  I know I was...you couldn't have driven a nail up my butt with and air hammer!  I was praying for a complete power outage or something at the Amway Center.  I'm seriously disapointed that one of you guys that was there, when you realized Coach wasn't going to call a timeout, didn't pull a Fire Alarm!  It would have temporarily stopped the game, cleared the building and allowed us to re-group! 

It was just awful.  It's just too bad we had to end such a great season that way.  We're much better than that...

Rob

And Connor could only stop play so many times to put his shoe back on and tie the laces...

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, ORob1 said:

I was praying for a complete power outage or something at the Amway Center.  I'm seriously disapointed that one of you guys that was there, when you realized Coach wasn't going to call a timeout, didn't pull a Fire Alarm! 

Good call. I’m extremely disappointed that I didn’t even THINK about pulling a fire alarm somewhere around 11-0. Definitely would have been worth the potential charges!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ORUTex said:

Good call. I’m extremely disappointed that I didn’t even THINK about pulling a fire alarm somewhere around 11-0. Definitely would have been worth the potential charges!

The ‘ol “pull the fire alarm” trick is legit.  We were out for Sunday lunch with the family one day after church, and there was a really long wait for a table at a new popular restaurant.  I reluctantly put our name on the stinking list and prepared to spend my afternoon waiting on a table for 5-which sucks as some of you guys know (4 is much faster).  When suddenly my middle child and @ORob2’s little brother (we’ll call him ORyan3) pulled the fire alarm!  He was about 5 years old at the time. Long story short, the restaurant cleared out and we had a table in a matter of minutes!  It appeared several parties ate for free that day and didn’t return.  I’ve never forgotten that lesson. It was a life saver and I suggest it to everyone in a pinch…you’re welcome! 🤣

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am so proud of this team and all that they accomplished this year. The players are so easy to root for - what great group. The style of play that Mills orchestrated is fun and exciting.

I wish we could have gotten any other team than Duke to play in the NCAA tournament. (Iowa State, TCU, Virginia, San Diego St. , even Purdue). Very bad matchup. Their size and athleticism were difficult for us to counter. I watched a few of their games late in the season and they were steadily improving. Duke should have been a 2 or 3 seed. 

I have to wonder how much closer the score would have been if we had made several of those early shots. I think the players were impacted by each missed shot and we tensed up. We just couldn’t get shots to drop. We then started to force things and seemed play scared - which was very unlike how we normally play. Obviously Duke had something to do with that - but we also missed a fair amount of open looks. 

Statistically Duke has not been a good perimeter shooting team, but they were against us.  

Besides our struggles making shots, we played decent defense…. especially on the initial shots. i.e. Thompson played good defense on Flip (7 footer). Unfortunately we allowed too many offensive rebounds.

Again, this was a wonderful season (30 wins, Summit League championship and NCAA Tournament) with lots of great memories. They have marked their stamp on ORU history. The sting of this loss to Duke will fade and allow us to look back on this team with tremendous fondness. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

I have to wonder how much closer the score would have been if we had made several of those early shots. I think the players were impacted by each missed shot and we tensed up. We just couldn’t get shots to drop. We then started to force things and seemed play scared - which was very unlike how we normally play. Obviously Duke had something to do with that - but we also missed a fair amount of open looks. 

I totally agree. And here's my best positive spin on the game: obviously we started very poorly, and finished almost as poorly (roughly the first and last 8 minutes of the game) but there was more than half the game in the middle where we hung with, and actually slightly outscored, Duke.

At 12:16 left in the first half, Duke went up 15-0. At 8:50 left in the second half, Issac hit a 3 to cut it to 54-40. So, for those 23+ minutes, ORU outscored Duke 40-39. And if you go back to when Duke went up 25-8 at 8:32 left in the first until 8:20 left in the game when it was still 54-40, ORU outscored them 32-29 over 20 minutes and 8 seconds.

It's been a tough 48 hours.....but 30-5 not a bad season at all despite the first round NCAA exit in blowout fashion....and it appears that Duke emptied their tank vs. ORU because Tennessee is about to take them out......the East bracket is up for grabs, my friends!....image.jpeg.6a0acdb7c2769040294386f3bb90823d.jpeg

Yep. Duke got smoked. They were indeed a 5 seed after all.

Been holding off with any thoughts as I was pretty bummed. But finally @ORUTex talking some sense. Yes, Duke is good. Yes, they were better than us ON THURSDAY. I give them credit for disrupting our game and plan. But if we shoot our season AVERAGE on FG and 3P, we would have been right in the thick of it.  And if we played a bit above average game? We win easily. So now that it's been a couple of days of mourning, Maybe everyone can lighten up on the: we suck, we are years away from competing with good teams, blah blah blah. It was a bad night period. 🙂

• Upvote 3

Grip...you and I are surely on the same wavelength.....love your comments, brother....someday I have to get to Tulsa and buy you a 🍺......but tonight will be watching NCAA Wrestling from the BOK.....Championship Night!!  👍

• Haha 1

Duke has some work to do. Four freshman starting in the Big Dance? They just weren't ready to face a real team like Tennessee. Maybe they can play a tougher OOC schedule to prepare for the real games next year. Maybe even find some ballers in the portal. How embarrassing.

• Haha 2

On 3/17/2023 at 3:27 PM, eagle88 said:

For whatever it is worth I predict Duke will be a final four team and possibly the 2023 National Champ. As poorly as we played 7 more 3 pointers and we were right there with them. My biggest regret is that America did not get to see the excellent ORU team we witnessed most of the year.

Umm, maybe not. 

• Haha 2