Congrats ORU on a perfect 18-0 conference record!

Texasgrip

Loved the Acres, still do. They came at a low time and brought their character and work ethic and gave us hope, especially after that first win against Kansas. Mark outplayed the bigger name players like Keith Lee, Joe Kleine, Michael Cage. It was a sight to see him work. His footwork was like McHale's, before he ever met him.

Max outplayed NBA #1 draft pick Cade Cunningham (39 points vs 33, by my memory). Also, Bryce Williams, although we barely lost both games to Okla State. 

Max and Mark Make My Mount rushMore. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Geez, so Max has to be dragged down as well, just to build up Mark Acres?

Two great players, but very different from each other on the court and off, playing on drastically different teams, with different rules of the game, against very different opponents, at two times when even ORU itself was vastly different.

IT WAS ALMOST 40 YEARS AGO, PEOPLE!! 

How can we possibly compare the two players?

And 40 years from now, NEITHER will hold a candle to 8'2" ORU shooting guard Bopnic Klaatu, from the mining colony on Jupiter's moon Europa.  

Did it not suffice when I suggested we simply need a bigger Mount Rushmore? 😘

@Old Titanyou didn't really think I was going to be OK with criticism of my former CA dude teammate, and lifetime buddy did you... really? 40 years ago, so what?  that's what we do! I didn't bring Mark into this, everyone loves the 70's that was 50 years ago!

I'm not trying to "drag down Max" but 40 years from now; good lord willing, if someone tries to slight a teammate and friend, to pump up the star de jour, I will absolutely speak up in the strongest terms possible!! 

My definition of greatness is Era-less; Fuqua, Roberts, Acres and even Caleb, would be great in any era; 70's, 80's or 2020's, but in my opinion Max wouldn't be. Without the 3, not in the Summit league a 5' 11' guard that doesn't play much D probably isn't considered a star! 

I want the best for this team, let their accomplishments speak for themselves, but I will not stay quiet and allow the intended or unintended insult of the past players that built this program!! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

...a 5' 11' guard that doesn't play much D...

Now see, I kinda think this is uncalled for (to establish Mark for Mount Rushmore status) and even makes me wonder how much you've watched Max these past few weeks, particularly on the road.

Dude is working so hard on defense, it's affecting his offense...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

TheEagleman is probably one of just a handful on this board who has seen Fuqua, Roberts, Acres, Green and Abmas all play....and all are ORU greats and deserve to be on Mt Rushmore/ORU version....have to agree with OT on that but also side with ORU40 that its extremely difficult to compare players from the 70/80s era with guys from the 2000s....it is just a different game especially with the advent of the 3 point line....guess we just have to have 5 spots on our ORU Mt. Rushmore ......sort of like this version.....Image result for Mt Rushmore With 5 Faces

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Now see, I kinda think this is uncalled for (to establish Mark for Mount Rushmore status) and even makes me wonder how much you've watched Max these past few weeks, particularly on the road.

Dude is working so hard on defense, it's affecting his offense...

I've actually seen every game this year but maybe I missed Max becoming a lockdown defender. And if the Dude is working so hard on D that it's affecting his offense that's a whole other problem. We haven't looked good in several recent games, we are giving up leads to horrible teams, and Max has not played well... you can disagree- but when your All-American goes 2-10 at SDSU or 8-23 at home v NDSU, 6-19 at home against N. Dakota in the past few weeks that's not optimal. 

I don't care if anyone thinks Mark should be on the "mount Rushmore" at ORU, he's already earned it. I like Max, I'm not trying to say he's not a great Summit league guard, or been a great ambassador for ORU, but as a volume shooter in the current Summit league, he is what he is. But don't tell me that's all-time greatness, I just today saw a 2023 NBA draft projection out to the 128th prospect although only 60 picks- no Max... You can say only 2 rounds in the draft now, but Sutton & Workman were drafted in the 2nd round and stuck in the NBA! The next level is the true measure of greatness for a player, a lot of college players are the classic big fish in a little pond. Time will judge Max. 

I hope we win the conference tourney and advance to the dance. I'm an ORU guy, played here, gradated from ORU, met my wife here and love the program and school, but not just a blind fan-boy. Not being negative only offering my genuine opinions of what I'm seeing. 

• Upvote 2

At the beginning of the year (St. Mary's match up), Adam asked Max in pregame: why did you come back to ORU instead of turning pro?  Max said: to have another chance in the NCAA tournament, which he thought would put his name back on the NBA radar.  He has struggled the last 4 games but now is his chance to make another March run.  It is Max's time to shine again.  I hope that he does.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow - "blind fan-boy"??

Really??

This should be a time for everyone to celebrate, instead it's turned into THIS??

I didn't even start this argument, now kicking myself for wading into it and getting sucker-punched for stating the obvious:  "They're ALL good."

And to think this thread started out on such a light-hearted note!

Looking forward to celebrating the fruits of all our message board labors this Saturday... 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Wow - "blind fan-boy"??

Really??

This should be a time for everyone to celebrate, instead it's turned into THIS??

I didn't even start this argument, now kicking myself for wading into it and getting sucker-punched for stating the obvious:  "They're ALL good."

And to think this thread started out on such a light-hearted note!

Looking forward to celebrating the fruits of all our message board labors this Saturday... 😉

Amen, OT!  Enough of this.  We have had many great players on the court of the Mabee Center.  And we have had many great role players to help support the acclaimed great players that wouldn't have been so great without their teammates - ORU40 being one of them.

Max is playing hurt.  That is why his production is down recently. He needs to heal and be ready for the "three games in March" so that he can rest some more and play for another day.  We are living through a special time in ORU basketball history.  Let's not lose sight of "living in the good ol' days" today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ORU40 said:

@Old Titanyou didn't really think I was going to be OK with criticism of my former CA dude teammate, and lifetime buddy did you... really? 40 years ago, so what?  that's what we do! I didn't bring Mark into this, everyone loves the 70's that was 50 years ago!

I'm not trying to "drag down Max" but 40 years from now; good lord willing, if someone tries to slight a teammate and friend, to pump up the star de jour, I will absolutely speak up in the strongest terms possible!! 

My definition of greatness is Era-less; Fuqua, Roberts, Acres and even Caleb, would be great in any era; 70's, 80's or 2020's, but in my opinion Max wouldn't be. Without the 3, not in the Summit league a 5' 11' guard that doesn't play much D probably isn't considered a star! 

I want the best for this team, let their accomplishments speak for themselves, but I will not stay quiet and allow the intended or unintended insult of the past players that built this program!! 

ORU40...I don't personally know you, but man I feel you on this post. I was at ORU in the Greg Sutton years. Lived a few doors down in the Athletic Dorm from him, worked in the Athletic Department, and traveled with the team. And, I bristle when folks say "he did it in the NAIA". So yeah, I totally get it. 

And btw...in Greg's sophomore year when we were Division 1, dude averaged 22ppg, 4rpg, & 3apg, against a schedule that included Miami, LSU, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Wichita State, Georgetown, Memphis, Oklahoma State, Cincinatti, South Carolina and more. 

• Like 2

Was lucky enough through the years to meet a few of the guys growing up in Tulsa and playing at Henthorne Rec.( Or at least tagging along with Hank and trying to get into a game. :)) 

One of my favorite guys was Lance Williams and his older brother. ( Can't remember his 1rst name.) as they would always pick kids to play with them in those pickup games. As would Anthony Roberts and Richie Fuqua when they would show up. Pretty darn nice of those guys as the games there on Saturday mornings were as competitive as you could get, and they could have easily stacked their teams to run it all day. That memory always stuck with me over the years as the type of guys they were. 

Also, went to an intersquad scrimmage at Jenks ( I believe) where i saw a certain small forward that is on this site do a reverse dunk in warmups with these really cool shorts on that had sharks or fish on them! 🙂 Hank and i looked everywhere in Tulsa for those! Little did we know the player was from California! 🙂

Was lucky enough to see Caleb Green up close through practices and games while he was at ORU. Kid was always smiling it seemed like. What a difference maker he was. Always represented ORU in a very positive manner. As the other guys listed did as well. 

Not sure any of these belongs on this topic and i don't really get involved in who belongs where on all time list.(except SA Spurs list!:)) 

Just thought i would throw some positive thoughts in here.:)

Hopefully this time next week everyone will be planning on watching parties for the NCAA tournament!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

So Max and Conner are banged up and playing hurt and ORU has 3 games coming in 4 nights......with a basically 7 man rotation....sure would have been nice if Coach was working in Clover and Williams during some of these games the past few weeks.....just sayin'.......😬:hc_mills:😬

The reason Max is a hall of fame and future jersey hanger is not because of his March on-court accomplishments, but because of his commitment to the program. Coming back in this modern age and being a team player is different and character worthy, and also impacts the rest of the team. 

If he was an all time great only because of the March run, then another name would deserve the same, (KO), because they both had great runs in March. Now, Max has the opportunity can go seal the deal on the discussion and deliver another magical March, and fingers crossed he gets another otherworldly partner to deliver a magical March performance (could be anyone really, Issac - Kareem - Connor)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ting said:

The reason Max is a hall of fame and future jersey hanger is not because of his March on-court accomplishments, but because of his commitment to the program. Coming back in this modern age and being a team player is different and character worthy, and also impacts the rest of the team. 

If he was an all time great only because of the March run, then another name would deserve the same, (KO), because they both had great runs in March. Now, Max has the opportunity can go seal the deal on the discussion and deliver another magical March, and fingers crossed he gets another otherworldly partner to deliver a magical March performance (could be anyone really, Issac - Kareem - Connor)

Or weaver!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darrenj said:

Was lucky enough through the years to meet a few of the guys growing up in Tulsa and playing at Henthorne Rec.( Or at least tagging along with Hank and trying to get into a game. :)) 

One of my favorite guys was Lance Williams and his older brother. ( Can't remember his 1rst name.) as they would always pick kids to play with them in those pickup games. As would Anthony Roberts and Richie Fuqua when they would show up. Pretty darn nice of those guys as the games there on Saturday mornings were as competitive as you could get, and they could have easily stacked their teams to run it all day. That memory always stuck with me over the years as the type of guys they were. 

Also, went to an intersquad scrimmage at Jenks ( I believe) where i saw a certain small forward that is on this site do a reverse dunk in warmups with these really cool shorts on that had sharks or fish on them! 🙂 Hank and i looked everywhere in Tulsa for those! Little did we know the player was from California! 🙂

Was lucky enough to see Caleb Green up close through practices and games while he was at ORU. Kid was always smiling it seemed like. What a difference maker he was. Always represented ORU in a very positive manner. As the other guys listed did as well. 

Not sure any of these belongs on this topic and i don't really get involved in who belongs where on all time list.(except SA Spurs list!:)) 

Just thought i would throw some positive thoughts in here.:)

Hopefully this time next week everyone will be planning on watching parties for the NCAA tournament!

Ah yes memories of playing around Tulsa Lances brother was sturdier and a good player! Kevin Pritchard was a good up and comer at the time

• Upvote 1

I would like to apologize if I did anything in this thread to fan the flames. That was not my intent. What a blessing to have so many talented players over the years. 

I would also like to suggest that we take a collective deep breath, maybe light some incense or a scented candle, and listen to this wisdom from these guys. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jmg1984 said:

Ah yes memories of playing around Tulsa Lances brother was sturdier and a good player! Kevin Pritchard was a good up and comer at the time

Went to high school with Kevin as he was a Soph when Hank and I were seniors. Nice guy with great parents.  He was a great player with very good career at KU and a few years in the NBA and then overseas as well. Still doing pretty darn well as the head of basketball operations for the Pacers.