Congrats ORU on a perfect 18-0 conference record!

Texasgrip

Just now, ORU40 said:

PS, for you youngsters out there, that jersey Mark is wearing in this picture says "Celtics" and that Celtics roster at that time included: Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge, Bill Walton and was not an easy roster to make!!! 

Well said ORU40. Acres makes up the vast majority of players who make the NBA roster to fill out a roster. There is a definite role for guys like Acres who may not have illustrious careers, but make it to the top of their profession because they are extremely talented players. Can you imagine the stories Acres has to tell from rubbing shoulders (literally) with that team and other players in the NBA from that era. 

Max is one of the most influential players in ORU history. 

Max is probably in the top 10-15 players in ORU history. 

Best and influential are two different topics. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

PS, for you youngsters out there, that jersey Mark is wearing in this picture says "Celtics" and that Celtics roster at that time included: Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge, Bill Walton and was not an easy roster to make!!! 

I had Mavericks season tickets during this period.  The Celtics came to town and I was able to talk to Mark before the game.  Despite the fact that I hate the Celtics I made a big hoop and a holler when Mark entered the game.

51 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

OKC Eagle, I understand that you are excited about the current ORU season. But it’s disappointing that an ORU basketball “fan” finds it necessary to disparage a former great’s career and contributions to try and prop up a current player.

. . .

. . . don’t let your current excitement allow you to try to drag down a true ORU great just to try to build up a current player. ORU fans are better than that. 

I try not to get into arguments on this board (some of you seem to live for the controversy), but there is nothing about your statements above that are true.  Putting "fan" in quotes is especially offensive.  I have been sitting in the Mabee Center since I was 6 when Antonio Martin, Calvin Garrett, Cat Johnson, Ricky Baskins and Robert Griffin were on the court.  I was practically born and raised with ORU. I watched all of Mark Acres' career and it was brilliant and phenomenal.  

I am sorry that you (and the others quoting you) misinterpreted my point (TheEagleman seemed to understand).  I never "disparaged" or "brought down" Mark Acres and did not intend anything remotely like that.  I was simply pointing out that Max (in an admittedly different media age) has brought more fame notoriety to ORU than anyone since the early 70s, perhaps as much from luck (right place right time) as his skill.  I don't think the new athletic center would be being built without what Max and the team accomplished in 2021.  That is the lasting impact that gets monuments made (remember that this started about who you would put on ORU's Mt. Rushmore--btw, there were far more accomplished (better stats and career) Presidents who did not make the real Mt. Rushmore).

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

TheEagleman is a lifelong Sixers fan but can't argue with the above....that was a great Boston Celtics team with HOFers galore....the fact that Acres was a part of it speaks for his talent....Mark Acres surely is in the discussion for the Mt. Rushmore of ORU Men's Basketball.....an all time great.....image.jpeg.8821925df1592880ee6a387e27a1c994.jpeg

50 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

https://www.celtic-nation.com/blog/2018/09/30/the-mark-acres-interview/

A nice read!

47 minutes ago, dave said:

Can you imagine the stories Acres has to tell from rubbing shoulders (literally) with that team and other players in the NBA from that era. 

Mark and I both grew up in LA, lifelong Lakers fans, but when he signed with the dreaded Celtics, you have to suspend your loyalties briefly! When the lovely Mrs. ORU40(who played volleyball at ORU and is as good of friends with Mark as I am) and I got married in April 1988 we decided to take our honeymoon in New England along the coast, Maine is beautiful- lots of great coastal inns and who doesn't love lobster. As a hoops junkie with a very understanding bride, we started our honeymoon with a couple days in Boston staying with Mark and his wife, and even as a kid that grew up hating the Celtics, I have to say when Mark took me into the celts locker room before a game against the Bucks at the old Boston Garden and the first person we see as we walk in is Larry Bird heading out to the court to get early shots in, and Mark introduced me to Larry Legend, it was pretty awesome!!! We also had a couple coke colas with Kevin McHale after the game as he had a cousin in town and naturally, when the establishment closed Mr. McHale and his guests(us) were allowed to stay as long as we wanted with a server gladly remaining (apparently the Celtics are kind of a big deal in Boston). Kevin is really great guy and very funny!! Let's just say that was an awesome beginning to an awesome Honeymoon!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I went to a Celtics-Bullets game in Landover MD in the late eighties and Acres was on the Celtics.

You would think you were in Boston as the crowd cheered for the Celtics when they came out (with signs BIRD 33 in the stands). Celtics won by 30 points. 

Yes, @ORU40 you wonder about all the stories Mark could tell us with the people he met! 

Larry Bird.jpg

Love Mark Acres....but screw the Celtics.....Image result for 76ers LogoP.S...I know.... Boston usually beats up on Philly.....🙄

Geez, so Max has to be dragged down as well, just to build up Mark Acres?

Two great players, but very different from each other on the court and off, playing on drastically different teams, with different rules of the game, against very different opponents, at two times when even ORU itself was vastly different.

IT WAS ALMOST 40 YEARS AGO, PEOPLE!! 

How can we possibly compare the two players?

And 40 years from now, NEITHER will hold a candle to 8'2" ORU shooting guard Bopnic Klaatu, from the mining colony on Jupiter's moon Europa.  

Did it not suffice when I suggested we simply need a bigger Mount Rushmore? 😘

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Mark and I both grew up in LA, lifelong Lakers fans, but when he signed with the dreaded Celtics, you have to suspend your loyalties briefly! When the lovely Mrs. ORU40(who played volleyball at ORU and is as good of friends with Mark as I am) and I got married in April 1988 we decided to take our honeymoon in New England along the coast, Maine is beautiful- lots of great coastal inns and who doesn't love lobster. As a hoops junkie with a very understanding bride, we started our honeymoon with a couple days in Boston staying with Mark and his wife, and even as a kid that grew up hating the Celtics, I have to say when Mark took me into the celts locker room before a game against the Bucks at the old Boston Garden and the first person we see as we walk in is Larry Bird heading out to the court to get early shots in, and Mark introduced me to Larry Legend, it was pretty awesome!!! We also had a couple coke colas with Kevin McHale after the game as he had a cousin in town and naturally, when the establishment closed Mr. McHale and his guests(us) were allowed to stay as long as we wanted with a server gladly remaining (apparently the Celtics are kind of a big deal in Boston). Kevin is really great guy and very funny!! Let's just say that was an awesome beginning to an awesome Honeymoon!!!

That is awesome. As a native resident of the Albany N Y area I went to Maine every summer. Hope you saw Nubble light in York Beach and other lighthouses. The Goldenrod was a nice place to eat in town. Hated the Celtics till Larry converted me over in 84. When I found out Mark was trying out for the C's got the Boston Globe all the time to track him. It wasn't easy but he made it! Went to the last game in 1989 to see him and he didn't play.😦 I'd did go early and got to talk to him 🏀💪

• Like 1

Here's a really great thread for talking about Mark Acres and his phenomenal accomplishments at ORU:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Here's a really great thread for talking about Mark Acres and his phenomenal accomplishments at ORU:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! ORU Legends Marshall, Belvin, Minyard, & OT going at it...16 years ago! LOL!!!

Geez, I always cringe reading those threads & posts from so far back.

For one thing, I don't remember writing - and in some cases, even thinking - most of it.

But, relieved to report that I still stand by almost all I apparently said/thought way back when:  Mark, Caleb AND Max are all three very good - very different - players who should ALL be celebrated!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Mark, Caleb AND Max are all three very good - very different - players who should ALL be celebrated!

👍

• Upvote 2