ORU vs. NDSU (2/18/23) - Senior Night

TrueBlue82

NDSU seemed to clog the lane tonight and dare Connor, Patrick, and Carlos to shoot basically open threes, which they struggled with going a combined 3-15.  It was just one of those nights when the Eagles could not hit open shots.  In the second half ORU had two periods of a combined 11 minutes where they scored a total of zero points.  In the other 9 minutes they put up 38!  Talk about feast or famine.  Not sure I have ever seen that in a college basketball game in 20 years!

1 hour ago, jmg1984 said:

Yeah that bogus foul on the 3:pt shot and the goaltending call😦😦

Excuse me, but Bogus had nothing to do with that foul. 🤣

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, ron said:

At the beginning of the game, I remember thinking that Max is shooting more NBA 3s than I remembered being normal. Do you you think it had anything to do with the NBA scouts in the audience, or am I just spreading fake news here?

There were multiple NBA scouts to see Max and Nelson so maybe that was the case.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SonofaLegend said:

My brother thinks we are playing cards close to the chest, offensively speaking. It certainly does feel like we are playing a lot of iso, and slowing things down, way more than normal. 

I have to agree. Hopefully Mills has a few new wrinkles to unveil in Sioux Falls. Remember, we never saw the pick and pop with Max and Keven until that Summit Tournament run...

11 hours ago, OKC Eagle said:

Connor could not guard Nelson on the perimeter. We started the second half with Kareem on Nelson and finished the game with Kareem in Nelson. Kareem did great. It was Connor was inexplicably called on to guard Nelson that he went off. 

Yes! Kareem was great at denying Nelson position late in the game!

If Nelson gets a running start or gets too deep he is close to unstoppable. Vanover had problems with Nelson's quickness and Nelson was using the rim to shield himself from Connor's shot blocking ability.

• Upvote 2

ORUTerry: I really enjoyed your half-time interview with Adam Hildebrand as I was watching the replay of the game today.

• Upvote 3

Here's the Tulsa World's story about our attendance: https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/oru/bill-haisten-oru-has-a-hot-team-and-its-best-attendance-season-since-1999/article_ddb2cc82-b143-11ed-8900-2f39f6b50a49.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

In the story about Saturday's game, they mistakenly used this header on the front page of the Sports section:

AAC MEN’S BASKETBALL | ORU 74, NORTH DAKOTA STATE 66

I believe that's the OTHER Tulsa team's league....

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

This step back by McBride.🥶

That little juke left an NBA hopeful flat footed and wondering which way to go . . .

That is just SO beautiful to watch!😍

And look at that crowd in the stands behind him - that's a beautiful thing as well!!!🥳

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I was in Florida, totally missed the game. the beach & daiquiris got me!

about 5 NBA scouts at the game, I fully expect Nelson to be gone after this year.

if it's ORU V SDSU in summit finals, all the USD & NDSU fans will cheer for ORU so we should get you to 50/50.  bring some ORU FANS TOO!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

I was in Florida, totally missed the game. the beach & daiquiris got me!

about 5 NBA scouts at the game, I fully expect Nelson to be gone after this year.

if it's ORU V SDSU in summit finals, all the USD & NDSU fans will cheer for ORU so we should get you to 50/50.  bring some ORU FANS TOO!

😄💪👍🏀

TheEagleman owes LakesBison a cold brew 🍺.....unless NDSU knocks us out of the tournament...🥴

4 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Did they shoot poorly or did we play good defense?

The perennial basketball question - one that is answered differently by the two teams involved.