ORU vs. NDSU (2/18/23) - Senior Night

TrueBlue82

Saturday night is Senior Night, a bittersweet send-off to some incredible players who have significantly impacted the ORU basketball program. 

But, with all the emotion, there's also some intrigue: how many players will be honored - and who are they? 

On today's coaches show, Adam mentioned that three of the honorees were members of the Sweet Sixteen team, and it was inferred that Carlos and DJ are two of the three (there were some technical difficulties right in the middle of this segment, so it wasn't clear).  As Max has already announced that this is his last rodeo, does this mean that Kareem might be returning for a COVID "graduate" season?  It was also inferred that four total team members would be honored, which would likely mean that this will be Connor's lone season at ORU (which was expected, but there was speculation/hope that he might also play a COVID year).

Anyone with inside information on the number and identities of those playing their last home game at Mabee Center on Saturday?

My money is on Connor returning for another year unless he gets an indication that there is significant money to be available and a pro team is willing to make him a project.  I can't see him leaving for another college team.  This style of play is right up his alley and with Mackie and Patrick back, along with some new talent coming in, I believe that next year could build on this year.

• Like 2

Five seniors and four being honored.  Who would you like to be the one returning?

Even if they go through the senior ceremony, they can still change their mind and vice versa.

It is going to be sad watching them for the last home game.  😞

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tmh8286 said:

Unfortunately, the wedding of the daughter of some very dear and long-time friends of ours is on Saturday night. The couple to be wed are both close and life-long friends of my boys. They are all a part of a group of young people that have hung out together for years. I'm sure it's going to be a lovely affair.

Too bad I'll be at the game celebrating the seniors and missing out on wedding cake!!

FWIW, I'm planning to skip that wedding, too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

FWIW, I'm planning to skip that wedding, too!

Would have been nice if they'd planned the wedding for halftime!!

My guess is Coach Mills tells the seniors, "Go through Senior Night this year; if you come back next season it's not really as a senior, anyway".

We might not know who all is going to be there until opening night in November (see poll posted to submit your prediction).

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

On today's coaches show, Adam mentioned that three of the honorees were members of the Sweet Sixteen team, and it was inferred that Carlos and DJ are two of the three (there were some technical difficulties right in the middle of this segment, so it wasn't clear). 

A quick rabbit trail...

I noted yesterday the "technical difficulties" in watching and listening to the coaches show.  Has anyone else experienced the same issues, or is it just me?  The last couple of weeks, the coaches show (accessed through the "on demand" options on the ORU Sports Network) have been very glitchy - and today's baseball coaches show was virtually unwatchable, with audio and video frequently going off for several seconds at a time.  Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with the ORUSN Live offerings.  Could some others "test-drive" this to see if the problem is with the feed, or in my system?  Thanks!

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

A quick rabbit trail...

I noted yesterday the "technical difficulties" in watching and listening to the coaches show.  Has anyone else experienced the same issues, or is it just me?  The last couple of weeks, the coaches show (accessed through the "on demand" options on the ORU Sports Network) have been very glitchy - and today's baseball coaches show was virtually unwatchable, with audio and video frequently going off for several seconds at a time.  Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with the ORUSN Live offerings.  Could some others "test-drive" this to see if the problem is with the feed, or in my system?  Thanks!

not just you, video and audio cuts in and out..........gave up trying to watch baseball show earlier after about 5 minutes

ORU is honoring one of the best senior classes in the history of the team: Max, Connor, Carlos, Kareem, and DJ Weaver.  Here are some thoughts on each player:

Max: What can you say?  A book could be written about his achievements: Sweet 16, Summit League Champ, Player of the Year, etc. etc etc.  One of my favorite memories is in the beginning of the Ohio State game when he hit a 30 footer and ORU led 7-0.  The announcer Grant Hill said that is his man: MidCourt Max!

Connor: The most unique player in ORU history.  May never be another like him to suit up for the Eagles.  He has really stepped up and been an all star type player after Lufile left for the G League.  One of his best highlights was dunking on Houston early in the game to give ORU one of its only leads.  It is on Youtube.

Carlos: A 5th Senior that has slowly improved each and every year.  Mr. Glue Guy for most his career and can do a little of everything: defend, pass, shoot the three and rebound.   He had a huge game vs Arkansas in the Sweet 16 and helped ORU to the halftime lead in that game.

Kareem: Very similar to Carlos.  Just a do everything type of player.  His biggest moments were in the Summit League tournament in 2021.  He put up 50 points in 3 games and was the unsung hero of that championship run!

DJ Weaver: Interesting career at ORU.  Started out as a scorer and three point wing shooter but over time was asked to become a center/shot blocker.  His big moment was hitting the three to gave the Eagles the lead with two minutes to ago vs Florida.

Hopefully they all come back but if not: it was a joy to watch this senior class over the years.  Go Eagles!

• Upvote 4

After last night's near collapse it will be interesting to see what the NDSU line is later today....it will probably be double digits and that would scare off TheEagleman....but this ORU team is so strange....the Good Guys might just go out like they did last month and light up the Bison by 25.....i think the sight of the green and gold uniforms gets them frothing at the mouth especially after the near brawl last year.....TheEagleman would love to see a butt whopping but not sure I can count on these Golden Eagles after the UND game.....any thoughts??? :NDSU::tb-white:

ORU is -14.....YIKES!!!....that's a large number.....Senior Night....big crowd and students will be raucous....anything could happen....TheEagleman agrees with OKC that this could be close or a rout or anything in between..NDSU has won a couple in a row and playing better ball.....Max should have a huge evening...expecting 30+....maybe Good Guys embarrassed about what happened vs. UND and Coach Mills gets them all worked up in the pre game locker room....remember they have to give their gift away....well let's give it up to NDSU....roll up the score vs. the Bison for past season paybacks.....perhaps a little trouble in the post game handshake line again????....would be interesting but unlikely......ORU 99  NDSU 71.......Image result for ndsu oral roberts basketball fight