Denver at ORU

theeagleman5

56 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

Bro. So fun to watch him in person! Everyone got in on the action tonight - except Cam, who wasn't dressed out. Anyone hear anything about that?

We talked to Cam before the game, he dislocated his finger - seems to think he’ll be back in action by Tuesday (He was super friendly too!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

We outscored them 25-5 in the first 10:02 of the second half and 37-9 in the first 12:08 of the second half.  That was the best 12 minutes of basketball I have ever personally witnessed.

They hung with us in the first half by (again by an opponent) expending maximum effort to guard us and score. I thought Denver looked tired with about 2 minutes left in the first half. Denver looked exhausted about 2 minutes into the second half and that was all she wrote. 

History still makes me worry in these games that we will go flat in the second half and give up big leads, but I need to leave that fear in the past. This team seems to get stronger as the game goes on and has that killer instinct that we lacked for so long. 

I love watching this team play. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

Bro. So fun to watch him in person! Everyone got in on the action tonight - except Cam, who wasn't dressed out. Anyone hear anything about that?

Injured his finger he'll be back in a week 

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:

I think the crowd's going to be big Saturday night - fan base continues to grow, lots of community interest, and Hall of Fame night, honoring fan favorite and local Tulsa basketball star, Caleb Green. Rumor has it that a number of past players are coming to show their respects to their old teammate.

Might be a good night to dust off my slab of the original Mabee Center floor and see if I can add a few signatures to it!!

Hopefully Tutt Mick etc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if there is a stat on this but I am guessing ORU is one of the Top 10 teams in outscoring opponents in the second half.  Except for the Missouri State match up, I think they have outscored almost every other team in the second half.  The Eagles defense seems to come alive after halftime.  Tonight ORU forced 13 second half turnovers.  Great win!

• Like 1

A Denver player (Coban Porter) was in a fatal accident Sunday, a possible DUI. The Denver team was extremely distracted. Surprised the game was so close at half. 

I am so sorry for the player, his family and the team. My prayers are with the family of the person who died and with Porter.

Connor had 20 points and 10 rebounds in 24 minutes.  That was quite an efficient and impressive night.

• Upvote 3

Last night on the Tulsa channel 6  10pm news Coach Mills said he told the team when they keep the score close at half and then go on a 23-0 run in the 2nd half let him know ahead of time  so he can keep his blood pressure down. Classic Coach Mills!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, timt89 said:

A Denver player (Coban Porter) was in a fatal accident Sunday, a possible DUI. The Denver team was extremely distracted. Surprised the game was so close at half. 

Very sorry to heart that, timt89. Tragedies like that can have a profound effect on young people - people of all ages, really. I was completely unaware of this, and I'm sure that it had an influence over Denver's players.

ORU suffered a similar tragedy last fall, when the captain of the men's soccer team was killed in a fiery crash when he was rear-ended by a drunk driver at a stop light. It was devastating to the entire ORU community.

Prayers and best wishes to your team and all those affected by a life taken much too young.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, eagle88 said:

Last night on the Tulsa channel 6  10pm news Coach Mills said he told the team when they keep the score close at half and then go on a 23-0 run in the 2nd half let him know ahead of time  so he can keep his blood pressure down. Classic Coach Mills!

Coach Mills used that same line in the post game interview with Adam.

The 23 point run was from 18:12 to 10:25 in the 2nd half.  Almost an 8 minute scoring drought for Denver.  

From last night's game summary on oruathletics.com

The Golden Eagles have also held conference opponents to 72 or fewer points in seven of their nine games played.

• Like 1

Prior to the season we had all hoped that ORU would play better defense in 2022-23.....well....it seems that Coach Mills and the team have addressed our concerns.....Expect a Miracle!!! Image result for George Costanza

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Connor had 20 points and 10 rebounds in 24 minutes.  That was quite an efficient and impressive night.

He is very confident when he shoots 3s. He means business!