Calen Green could play for any team in America.

ashVID

You're probably not goin to win this fight buddy.  ORU's been in the spotlight before tonight.  ORU was just an overtime loss to Kansas away to going to the Final Four in 74.  Nothing against Valpo, but we're not worried about your six 1-and-done's and "the shot".  NOT TONIGHT!!!  IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GREATEST SCHOOL IN AMERICA!!!

Good....God.....you have got to be kidding with that last statement!  Nothing against ORU, but ORU is not the "Greatest school in America," and for that matter, neither is Valpo.  I understand everyone is excited, but let's please keep this one game in perspective????  

Also, 1974 was back when a team could have 1 good player, and they would go far.  It is much harder nowadays to make it that far, as each team has a lot more talent throughout.  You cannot compare 1974 (basketball still growing), to 1990's-present.  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold*

• valpotx

• orumom

• Mike Minyard

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold.  I hope you were kidding because we all know qualifying wasn't a problem. He had a MOM that wanted him AT ORU.

Well, that's what our coaches said after the fact -- that they were waiting on him to qualify until the spring.  And Caleb said he wanted to go to TU.  Look our staff was idiotic then -- we passed on several amazing players for a bunch of stiffs.    ORU does in fact have several players who didn't qualify for TU.  Not trying to knock you guys -- but get over it and don't bring it up unless you want to come to terms with the whole story.

Celebrate the win and that you got a great player.  Jeez...

Here is my opinion on the whole matter... I feel the same way. Caleb could start for any squad in the nation, and if for some reason he didnt start at Duke or UNC he would be a 6th man that would get quality minutes. There is no doubt that he would make an instant impact on any team... but here's the fun part. He gets to make that impact for us! This is an exciting year.

If I was a Tulsa fan, I'd want to move on from that too.  ORU and Tulsa have rarely had solid programs at the same time.  Tulsa just gift wrapped a change in powers.  I think Tulsa is heading in the right direction though, and hope that the ORU-TU game can become a big time game.  I just don't see how TU can catch up to ORU at this point.  ORU is going to continue to grow and upgrade things as long as they keep exceeding expectations.  ORU is built on exceeding expectations.

Catch up in what?  Maybe not this year, but there is a big drop in talent next year for you guys.  The transfers will help, but it hurts losing those freshmen over the summer in addition to Green and Tutt.  Just by conference affiliations, I'm happy where TU sits for the long terms, especially with the young players we have.

ValpoTx,

Do us all a favor and crawl back under your rock before you get hurt. In your new conference you won't have to worry about easy trips to the NCAA Tournament (It did get harder for Valpo to get those conference wins when ORU joined the MidCon)

Well, that's what our coaches said after the fact -- that they were waiting on him to qualify until the spring.  And Caleb said he wanted to go to TU.  Look our staff was idiotic then -- we passed on several amazing players for a bunch of stiffs.    ORU does in fact have several players who didn't qualify for TU.  Not trying to knock you guys -- but get over it and don't bring it up unless you want to come to terms with the whole story.

Celebrate the win and that you got a great player.  Jeez...

we did get a great player. Vealy was recruited by TU wasnt he? :)

Tulsa just gift wrapped a change in powers.  I think Tulsa is heading in the right direction though, and hope that the ORU-TU game can become a big time game.  I just don't see how TU can catch up to ORU at this point.  ORU is going to continue to grow and upgrade things as long as they keep exceeding expectations.  ORU is built on exceeding expectations.

TU will be good... maybe even great again. Uzoh will be a star with the right players around him. He has great court awareness. I realize that two schools in the same city are natural rivals but I'd rather have the Mayors Cup actually mean something rather than one team being down in the dumps.

ValpoTx,

Do us all a favor and crawl back under your rock before you get hurt. In your new conference you won't have to worry about easy trips to the NCAA Tournament (It did get harder for Valpo to get those conference wins when ORU joined the MidCon)

You probably live in Tulsa, and you are saying I crawled out from somewhere?  

It was not very difficult to get wins when ORU joined the conference...it only has been the last 2 years, that is it.  When I was in school, we routinely had 13-3, 12-4 records, so i really do not know what you are talking about here...

we did get a great player. Vealy was recruited by TU wasnt he? :)

Not sure we offered him.  He signed about the time that Wojcik officially showed up on campus, IIRC.

Actually, you guys should have Rob ask Coach Self if Caleb would start for him. Part of my opinion on Green is based on convo with Self. I am not at all basing my feelings on this one game, but rather, just about every game he has played against anyone since 11th grade. The kid is so much better than he looks on paper. I dont think any of those teams would have recruited him but I think he would start at the 4 spot (or maybe 3 on some teams) for most teams in the top 25.

ash  =o)

Actually, you guys should have Rob ask Coach Self if Caleb would start for him. Part of my opinion on Green is based on convo with Self. I am not at all basing my feelings on this one game, but rather, just about every game he has played against anyone since 11th grade. The kid is so much better than he looks on paper. I dont think any of those teams would have recruited him but I think he would start at the 4 spot (or maybe 3 on some teams) for most teams in the top 25.

ash  =o)

Caleb has really improved his face-up shooting this past summer. He is much more confident as shown by his willingness to shoot the 3.

I was very fortunate to be able to watch this guy play everyday for three years.  His work ethic is just unbelievable.  He really loves the game of basketball, and that's refreshing.  People get onto him about smiling, but he just loves the game.  He rarely takes a day off in practice, and just does some things that blow your mind.  The guy can just flat out play.  I think ashVID's comments are right on.  There are plenty of facts to support Caleb.  Some of his best games came against schools like Kansas, Oklahoma, Georgetown, Maryland, Memphis, etc.  Caleb steps up in big games.  I really want to see Caleb and Larry Owens in the NBA eventually.

LO was told this summer when he was playing summer league with the Spurs that he couldn't play in the NBA because he was the third leading scorer at ORU.  Too bad the NBA doesn't like an unselfish role player.  I'd love to have a LO on my team any time.  They didn't even really let him get off the bench.  The coaches already had an opinion on him.  At least Byron Scott really liked Larry, but I sure wish someone stepped up with an offer.

There are some great quotes from both coaches and players from both teams at http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-ba ... 06aab.html, including this one from Coach Self:

On Green:

"He was by the far the best player in the game. We are talking about Wright, Rush and Chalmers. Caleb Green was the best player in the game. Any NBA scout would tell you that Caleb (Green) was the best player out there."

As I recall, prior to Green and Tutt coming to ORU..you guys didn't have much of anything on your team to brag about, besides maybe Luke Spencer-Gardner? Otherwise, you guys were a middle of the road Mid-Con team. Now that you have your chance to brag and boast (very un-Godlike, I may add), you will get our easy Mid-Con victories once Valpo is gone. Take it easy and just accept this big win in your school's history. I also don't think Caleb could be an immediate starter at UNC, Duke, Kansas or Florida, but he might be the first or second guy coming in off the bench. He seems like a coachable kid, and he's only a local star, he won't have much of anything else because he is in a no-name conference that struggles to get higher than 19th in the RPI rankings... Get over yourselves ORU fans, you aren't that great, you just happen to have a couple of talented players that can work together to bring some success for one more season.

Now that you have your chance to brag and boast (very un-Godlike, I may add)

Very Godlike of you to point that out, like Matthew 7:1 says, Make sure to judge others before they judge you.

Get over yourselves ORU fans, you aren't that great, you just happen to have a couple of talented players that can work together to bring some success for one more season.

If you don't want to be giddy with the ORU fans tonight then go away.  We at least deserve 24 hours of enjoyment.

Bottom line is that ORU has had solid players in it's program for years.  Tim Gill and Rocky Walls were great players for us, and Slim won the 1999 Mid-Con Player of the Year.  Don't give me that garbage that ORU is just now getting good.  We went to the NIT under Self the year before going to the Mid-Con.  That's a tough thing to do as an independent.  Anyways, what do you expect at the ORU message board?  This is the greatest win in school history (or right next to the Sweet 16 win over Louisville).  Unreal feeling for our fans, and I'm so happy for our coaching staff and players.