Missouri State

Old Titan

Totally head scratching final 15 minutes....how do we go from 62-39 ahead to 73-75 behind in 12 minutes?  Somebody has some explaining to do.....agree with OKCEagle that's why you don't bet sports....had TheEagleman placed a bet on ORU last night I would have been mortified.....just incredible and gives TheEagleman pause in whether or not I can trust this team as we head into conference play......as pointed out above this seemed like an instant replace of the Summit Final in 2021 vs. NDSU....ORU goes from red hot to stone cold with the flip of a switch....oh well....a win is a win.....heading up to Princeton today to watch A Christmas Carol at McCarter Theatre which should be much less stressful since I know how it ends.....:tb-white:

I thought I heard coach Mills state he made some lineup mistakes that allowed then to get back in the game. Did anyone else hear that?

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

I thought I heard coach Mills state he made some lineup mistakes that allowed then to get back in the game. Did anyone else hear that?

Yes - in the post-game with Adam, he said that they tried some different combinations that didn’t work well. 

• Upvote 1

I have not seen a bench perform that well in many moons.  The Bears bench just came out in the second half with fire and energy.  Guessing those guys do not play a whole lot and were saying hey coach put us in!  It was scary and impressive to watch at the same time!

Missouri State has talent and once they put it all together then the Bears should be a top 3 team in the Missouri Valley Conference.  I think as the season goes on, we will look back at this game as a solid win for the Good guys.

32 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

I also heard that. I agree with what @dave posted. Conner was sort of on an island defensively.

Mwamba or Weaver need to be on the floor with Vanover to help double when an opposing big gets going.

6 hours ago, dave said:

I also think this game showed how important Mwamba is to this team, whether he is scoring points or not. When the big man was scoring against Conner at will, I was wondering why Mills didn't put a more physical Mwamba on him and either take Conner out of the game or have them both on the floor at the same time. I didn't know he had four fouls because I was watching the game without sound. If Mwamba had more minutes in the second half, I don't think the game would have been as close. I have noticed Weaver plays with more energy when Mwamba is in the game. IMO, Patrick is a good example of a player who makes others better around him. 

• Upvote 3

In a way I’m glad ORU had a tougher time winning last night.  I realize coaching played a factor in the 2nd half for us  but so  many times the teams that are cruising and clicking this time of year don’t end the season strong. Part of this may be good teams reading their press clippings and not staying focused. Regardless only 1 team from the Summit will make the tournament and let ORU be battle tested, stay humble and peak in late February- March!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I also heard that. I agree with what @dave posted. Conner was sort of on an island defensively.

Mwamba or Weaver need to be on the floor with Vanover to help double when an opposing big gets going.

But if we put  Mwamba or Weaver on the floor with Vanover we are down to only three guards. That makes no sense. 

• Haha 4

It’s funny how the two critical baskets at the end of the game were dunks. Mwamba’s dunk was incredible and then Vanover somehow beating the buzzer was great! 

Speaking of dunks, I think this is a more athletic team than the one that made the sweet 16 run. I also think it’s the most athletic ORU team I can remember since maybe the DoMo team that was so great? 

Thanks for posting OT.  What a pass from Kareem to Connor for the dunk.  Kareem continues to just be a winner.  He plays solid defense, rebounds and makes the extra pass.  A real glue guy for the Eagles.  After an up and down non conference season, it feels like the pieces have started to gel on this team.

After the Missouri State win, ORU is 9-3.  If we said at the beginning of the season that the Eagles would be 9-3 then what would be your reaction?  Mostly likely just what we expected or even a little better than expected.

• Like 1

I think we are right on course. The best we could have hoped for was 10-2 with a possible win at Utah State, but they turned out to be a lot tougher than I thought. I agree. I think we are coming together nicely. I hope the Coach keeps refining the rotations and finds more effective ways to use Mwamba, Vanover and Weaver.  I really like the rotation of McBride, Kareem and Carlos with a decreased role for Trey. I"m sure it is a disappointment to him to be playing less minutes, but unfortunately, he is a spot up shooter who is stone cold right now. Hopefully he will light it up soon and get it going. I am anxious to see what Herron can bring to the table. If he doesn't get in soon, is it possible he would take a red shirt year? I'm ready for tomorrow night. Goooo Eagles!

Missouri state is playing central Michigan tonight and is up by 16 points a few minutes into the 2nd half. It looks like the bench players from the game on Friday are getting all the minutes tonight.

• Upvote 1

Ironic that the MSU coach substituted his second squad into the game in second half of our game when we were beating them like a drum - and they went on a tear. He pretty much stayed with that lineup against Central Michigan and they roll over them. Will be interesting to see if they stay with that general lineup and if it ends up ‘saving’ their season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Ironic that the MSU coach substituted his second squad into the game in second half of our game when we were beating them like a drum - and they went on a tear. He pretty much stayed with that lineup against Central Michigan and they roll over them. Will be interesting to see if they stay with that general lineup and if it ends up ‘saving’ their season. 

Hope they win every game the rest of the season.

Hope every team ORU beats this year wins all their remaining games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not to beat a dead horse but it was hard watching this game in my man cave to not scream at the giant size plasma screen for the coaching staff to call a timeout and put the starters back in the game.  Hopefully our staff learned a lesson in this game as well.