Missouri State

Old Titan

Okay, this is the truth.  I don't recall ever going to the Bull and Bear while I was a student but pretty sure I was there within a day or two after graduation.  I never saw Jack Wallace inside but he could have been in the parking lot.  He more than likely sent one of his henchman like Bobo Boyd, Dave Cole or Bill Techanchek.  I had my share of run ins with all of those guys but none of them involved the Bull and Bear.

Maybe we should get back to basketball and move this discussion to the Free For All page 🐄 🐻

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Okay, this is the truth.  I don't recall ever going to the Bull and Bear while I was a student but pretty sure I was there within a day or two after graduation.  I never saw Jack Wallace inside but he could have been in the parking lot.  He more than likely sent one of his henchman like Bobo Boyd, Dave Cole or Bill Techanchek.  I had my share of run ins with all of those guys but none of them involved the Bull and Bear.

Maybe we should get back to basketball and move this discussion to the Free For All page 🐄 🐻

Yeah, let's not ruin the thread just because I drove the car into the weeds.

No further mentions of rumored indiscretions from 40 years ago... #pinkyswear

• Haha 1

Soooo...how bout dem Bears?!?!?!?.....Image result for Missouri State Bears Logo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ESPN lists ORU as only a 65% chance of winning this game....really?....TheEagleman expects that the line will be close to double digits....agree Missouri State is a scrappy bunch and they play some good teams (St. Marys) but heck....they just lost to IPFW.....seems like those odds should be at least 75% for ORU and I would set the line at ORU -8.5 to -10.5 points.....this is a game that the Golden Eagles should cover....and perhaps easily.......:tb-blue:

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2022 at 11:40 AM, Otis 83 said:

Or, perhaps we shouldn't glamorize drinking booze and gambling...? 

• Haha 2

Maybe we get to see Sir Isaac tomorrow night.  He was primed to be a solid role player off the bench until the injury.  Since he already missed 11 games, it will be interesting to see if he is still able to help ORU in conference play.

• Like 1

I look for Missouri State to slow the game down. Way down. They are a defensive minded team and will battle each possession. I doubt they want to get into a track meet with us. The Bears are only averaging 56.9 FG attempts per game (256th) versus our 67.9 FGA per game (4th) and are holding opponents to 41.2% FG% and 32.0% from the 3-pt line. They are not a good free throw shooting team. At 56.0% they are ranked 362nd. On offense they shoot 41.2% - and from the 3-pt line they shoot 30.9% on 24.3 attempts per game.

This will be a contest of who can impose their will. Can ORU make shots against MSU's physical style of defense? Can ORU defend against the Bear's deliberate style of play? I expect Missouri State to attempt to score inside (drives to the basket, posts ups, etc.). Our interior defense has to be strong. Wonder if we will unveil a zone defense?

I agree with OT. We need to take the Bears seriously and not overlook them with SDSU coming to Tulsa on Monday. MSU is an athletic team that can defend and 'ugly up' the game. We need to play team basketball and execute on both sides of the court.

• Upvote 1

The line opens ORU -7, with a 145.5 O/U (76-69).   If ORU hits some early threes and takes a lead, MSU will have to counter, and I would expect ORU to score in the 80’s.  But, if it is a dogfight early on, the line and O/U sound about right.  

The concern in a spot like this is a cavalier approach to defense and a "We'll just outscore them" mentality, which can lead to trading buckets while the opponent gets into a comfort zone on offense.

Gotta bring the "D" every night; hopefully that's something that sinks in early and helps avoid a nip-and-tuck affair down the stretch.

• Like 1

TheEagleman is a bit surprised at a line of only ORU -7......really gotta love the Home Team but the Bears will probably hang around for the first 20 minutes especially if our guys are shooting below 40%....but ORU should come out and take care of business in the 2nd half.....Max puts up his 25+ again and ORU gets half a hundred in the 2nd stanza....maybe Vanover even gets credited with a few blocked shots by our watchful stat crew......ORU 85  Missouri State 69   :circle-logoi:

I am kind of worried about this game. Missouri St. has a talented roster that the coach doesn't seem to know what to do with up until now.

Hopefully this won't be the game things begin to click for the Bears. We all know how friendly Mabee rims can be to opposing players.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I am kind of worried about this game. Missouri St. has a talented roster that the coach doesn't seem to know what to do with up until now.

Hopefully this won't be the game things begin to click for the Bears. We all know how friendly Mabee rims can be to opposing players.

This is what I’m concerned about too. And that we might be overlooking the Bears in anticipation of opening conference play Monday evening against SDSU. I’m also concerned about a small crowd Friday evening. 

Tonight is the end of the non conference schedule already!  Hard to believe, where did the time go?  Anyway it has been a solid preseason for the Eagles with wins over Tulsa and Liberty but Missouri State would be the icing on the cake.

The Bears have become transfer U, as they picked up about 7 transfers in the off season.  They have some solid pieces but no real stars on the team.  Maybe the closest to that is their 6'6 small forward Chance Moore.  ORU will need to slow him down with Kareem and others.  The Eagles win tonight 76-67 and finish non conference play 9-3!

• Like 1

TheEagleman is not worried about tonight's game....but based on comments above perhaps I should be.....Missouri State usually turns this match up into an ugly affair and they only average about 62 points per game....so they will clearly try to slow things down.....ORU has to be patient and make good shot selection which is not always our forte....still I expect in the end ORU should prevail with a double digit win.....then rest up for the Summit schedule beginning next week.....Happy Holidays to all!!! Image result for Grinch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is not worried about tonight's game....but based on comments above perhaps I should be.....Missouri State usually turns this match up into an ugly affair and they only average about 62 points per game....so they will clearly try to slow things down.....ORU has to be patient and make good shot selection which is not always our forte....still I expect in the end ORU should prevail with a double digit win.....then rest up for the Summit schedule beginning next week.....Happy Holidays to all!!! Image result for Grinch

Nice pic Eagleman.  I swear I saw that guy in the stands at The Vet throwing battery snowballs at Jimmy Johnson 🤣

• Haha 1

Goals:

1. No one gets injured
  2. Starters get limited (not maximum) minutes
  3. Win the ball game

This game would be nice to win - but it’s not a conference game, so it doesn’t impact our goal of winning the league and returning to the NCAA tournament. The true season starts on Monday evening.

Line movement today:

• Opened most everywhere at -7 and immediately began to move up.
  • Peaked mid-morning at -8.5 and even -9 before folks started thinking MSU and so many points made more sense.
  • Moved back down around -7.5 to -8 with many national "touts" releasing Missouri State-and-the-points as a favored play