Missouri State

Old Titan

52 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Line movement today:

• Opened most everywhere at -7 and immediately began to move up.
  • Peaked mid-morning at -8.5 and even -9 before folks started thinking MSU and so many points made more sense.
  • Moved back down around -7.5 to -8 with many national "touts" releasing Missouri State-and-the-points as a favored play

Late action going ORU's direction; line back up to -8.5

Some of these guys (no relation, BTW) giving free picks on social media crack me up; one implying ORU are either vampires or werewolves:

ORU has not missed a beat in the first half and leads by 13.  No need for a wake call tonight at halftime.  

McBride with the late 3 and 69% shooting....the Jacks better be ready for this....😍

ORU’s 60-40 lead has been erased; Bears have tied it at 71 with 3:45 to go. 

ORU trying to generate some momentum; need ANYONE to step up. 

Whew!!! Too close for comfort. TheEagleman was out and just got home to check the score....what happened to our 23 point lead with 16 min left???😬

ORU finishes the game on a 7-2 run and wins the 10th round.  First real close game that came down to the wire this season, so it was good to see the Eagles win one.  Give Missouri State credit, they really outplayed ORU in the second half mainly with their bench.  Connor with the big dunk at the end and good defense on the final Bears shot.  A win is a win but it did remind me of the NDSU championship game from 2021.  Get out the heart medicine tonight!

By the way, like your new eagle logo Eagleman

Felt like I was watching Cowboys v Texans again 😅

Appreciate the guys battling at the end to avoid an embarrassing loss. 

This is why I don’t bet on sports. I thought it was a run away at the first media timeout of the 2nd half and apparently the team thought so too.

Does coach get a coupon for each of the 2 timeouts he had left at the end?  

I hope Carlos got whatever that was out of his system. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, OKC Eagle said:

This is why I don’t bet on sports. I thought it was a run away at the first media timeout of the 2nd half and apparently the team thought so too.

Does coach get a coupon for each of the 2 timeouts he had left at the end?  

I hope Carlos got whatever that was out of his system. 

Mills was channeling Sutton's timeout strategy on that 24-4 MSU run

(Insert pointing spidermans meme)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Now we know why MSU hasn’t done so well this season - the coach isn’t playing the right players. Their bench came in and scored 55 points. 

The Bears are a very athletic team - and they shot lights out tonight. It would have been ironic losing because of free throws when they are/were one of the worst shooting teams in the NCAA. They almost played well enough to win. If they shoot like that in the MVC, along with their defensive effort, they should do well in their league.

As Coach Mills said “an ugly win is better than the alternative”.  And, a gutcheck win right before conference is a good way to keep a winning streak going without the risk of becoming overconfident!  It’s just REALLY hard on the fans!

• Like 1

TheEagleman is glad he didn't see it. Would have needed to call 911 and bring out the paddles...24-4 run and no timeouts from Coach Mills? Hard to believe.....maybe those two time outs carry over to Monday Night....😳

• Haha 1

Very up and down game.  The first 25 minutes of the game were as good as ORU has played this year but the last 15 were maybe the worst.  Here are some highlights:

First half:

ORU posted up Connor and he was fouled or scored for the most part versus a small guard.  Max was his usual self and Carlos made some nice drives to the basket.  McBride was also very solid shooting the ball.

Second Half:

Missouri State was much more physical and really punched the ball inside, as Connor struggled to defend.  The Bears seemed to let Carlos and Kareem shoot threes, which they finished 1-9 for the game.  Max did make some very difficult drives and ended up tying Mark Acres on the All-time scoring list.  That is some good company to be with!

I also think this game showed how important Mwamba is to this team, whether he is scoring points or not. When the big man was scoring against Conner at will, I was wondering why Mills didn't put a more physical Mwamba on him and either take Conner out of the game or have them both on the floor at the same time. I didn't know he had four fouls because I was watching the game without sound. If Mwamba had more minutes in the second half, I don't think the game would have been as close. I have noticed Weaver plays with more energy when Mwamba is in the game. IMO, Patrick is a good example of a player who makes others better around him. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

The Bears are a very athletic team - and they shot lights out tonight. It would have been ironic losing because of free throws when they are/were one of the worst shooting teams in the NCAA. 

They've just been shooting at the wrong rims. Mabee Center rims are much more friendly to our opponents than those they use elsewhere.

I'm still in bewilderment today after seeing our team play near textbook basketball for 2/3 of the game last night, then watching in disbelief as they are suddenly incapable of scoring, our historically poor shooting opponent can't seem to miss, capitalizing on our every miscue, and our twenty point lead just evaporates. And what happened to our rebounding? MSU seemed to have unlimited opportunities to get the ball in the hoop after their rare missed shots.

They also put on a clinic on how to take Vanover out of a game.

In spite of my negativity I'm very thankful for the win. My old heart could just use a little less drama getting us there. A buddy of mine has always said you get your money's worth with ORU basketball. He certainly was right last night.