Liberty-ORU

eagle88

58 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Just a quick word of caution regarding the "Max is back" narrative based on the last 2 games, we should be careful about declaring that Max has turned the corner based on 2 games against very inferior talent. Let's also be cautious about our expectations in these "top guards in the country" matchups as Max has not fared well in those- see Marcus Sasser and the Houston backcourt rout as an example. 

We have played 3 good teams this year: St Mary's Max was 4-11 FGs for 14 points and 3 TO's, Houston= Max was 1-13 FGs for 3 points and 3 TO's, and Utah St.- Max was 5-12 for 17 points with 5 TO's. That's 28% from the field for 11.3 points and 3.66 TO's per game against good competition. 

If we want to consider Max one of our All-Time Greats he needs to play well against the good teams, not just pad his stats against the inferior ones (let TP do that). He had a great 6 game run 2 seasons ago that put ORU basketball back on the map, for which we are all thankful but he's a senior now and needs to step up and lead this team and not just against the weak opponents!

To be considered one of our "Greats" with Roberts, Acres and Fuqua, Max needs to play his best against the best!! 

It's time to stop trying to win the social media games and outsmart the NET scores and KenPom rankings and get it done on the court!! The pinnacle of Coach Wooden's pyramid of success is "Competitive Greatness", being at your best when your best is needed!!!

Tonight, is a great opportunity for Max to play well against a good guard and for us to beat a good team... Go Eagles!!! 

Gotta admit this post surprises me, for I KNOW as a former player at the highest level ORU40 recognizes the difference between simple stat-grabbing and actually raising your level of play, regardless of the competition.

The improvement I've seen in Max these last two games goes FAR beyond the stat sheet.  His shot just LOOKS better, his rhythm just LOOKS better, his decision-making just LOOKS better, his body language just LOOKS better.  And the results (fortunately) happen to bear it out.  Ever since the first half at TU, capped off by that buzzer-beater from the corner before the half, he just seems like a different cat.

And it wasn't against "very inferior talent".  Granted, Tulsa and Central Arkansas aren't very good TEAMS, but they each had some athletes.  Both tried to stop him with what they had; it just wasn't Top 25-level defending as seen at Saint Mary's, Houston, and Utah State.

With all due respect, here's hoping that post ages about as well and as quickly as this guy:   #iceicebaby

vanilla ice death row chronicles GIF by BET

• Upvote 3

Liberty won't win based on talent and size but they are very effective in their system.  Their star point guard handles the offense and the other guys know their roles.  The Flames are not flashy or very impressive but just sound and know how to win.  It is a good challenge for the Eagles as conference play starts next week (how could that be).

It does feel like the Eagles are improving as December rolls on.  Still room to grow but they are heading in the right direction.  Tonight will be a good test.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Granted, Tulsa and Central Arkansas aren't very good TEAMS, but they each had some athletes.  Both tried to stop him with what they had; it just wasn't Top 25-level defending as seen at Saint Mary's, Houston, and Utah State.

I agree with this. Liberty will be a more difficult opponent but if they stay committed to their defensive philosophy and playing two 5'9" guys at the same time Max should get some pretty easy looks.

The question is how ORU plans to slow down McGhee. He hardly needs any time or space to get his shot off and if he gets going Liberty will be difficult to beat.

The game tonight is arguably the best OOC game at Mabee Center in many years......other than OSU last year it's been quite a while since a really good OOC opponent has taken the floor at Mabee....agree the this should be a very good game and a chance for Max to prove he is deserving of being mentioned with the Top 6 or 7 players in ORU History.....:oru:

27 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

The game tonight is arguably the best OOC game at Mabee Center in many years......other than OSU last year it's been quite a while since a really good OOC opponent has taken the floor at Mabee...

Most meaningful intersectional non-con game in the Mabee Center since the '11-'12 team* defeated Texas Tech 72-56 on 12/22/11.

*won the Summit League regular season title at 17-1 and played in the NIT with a 27-7 record.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

That ORU Sports Network link has been making the rounds in college basketball circles on social media today.  I would wager the site sets a record tonight for live stream viewers.  Not much competition nationally on ESPN+, and the Monday Night Football match-up is less than compelling...

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

Faith & Basketball --- `12/12/22

https://oruathletics.com/watch/?Archive=421&type=Archive

good conversation.

I thought the similarities the 2 coaches shared about their respective stars in the age of the  transfer portal and big money NIL was refreshing.  Mills even joked that Max would send him screenshots of all the schools that were recruiting him and added that he couldn't wait to turn them in.😄

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

TheEagleman finds it kind of irritating that ESPN televises basically the same 40-50 power 5 schools every week with an occasional St. Mary's or something....then tonight there is a great mid major match up between ORU and Liberty which i think a lot of people across the company would tune it to watch....it's different and should have some juice to it with two high scoring guards....lots of action which would probably draw decent ratings.....but they don't even bother......that stinks...tired of seeing same ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac 12 schools every night.....BOOOOO!!!! 😮

The reason ORU Sports Network games are not available on ESPN+ is on ORU, not ESPN. 

Someone else on this forum posted an excellent synopsis on the situation a few months ago; if I wasn’t on my phone in the dentist office lobby I would try to find it. 

Only the second all time match up between the teams.  ORU won the first meeting in 2006 by 32 but the Eagles had Green and Tutt back then.  Tonight expecting the game to come down to the final minutes  and the Eagles find a way to win, 72-70.  Should be a great game for those in attendance at the Mabee Center!

• Upvote 1

Are you guys already able to watch the game? For some reason, I am not connecting even though I was able to last game. I'm in Canada by the way.

Are you guys already able to watch the game? For some reason, I am not connecting even though I was able to last game. I'm in Canada by the way.

Never mind. I'm in. I am seriously looking forward to this game!

• Upvote 1

Liberty trying to play run and gun with ORU......let's see how that works out for them....so far 16-13  Good Guys at the first media timeout......gonna be a high scoring game....😎