Utah State Aggies

eagle88

We are getting ready to face a tough test in a tough environment this coming Tuesday. The Aggies arguably a quad 1 opponent lost a.great scorer in Justin Bean but picked up a good scorer from St Joes named Taylor Funk. They also added Isaac Jonson a transfer from Oregon and Dan Akin from California Baptist to help out defensively. The Aggies have one of the best home court records in the country. This game could be very similar to St Mary’s . We will have to play lights out, minimize turnovers, play good defense to have a chance. We also cannot afford to give them a large lead and try to come back from a large deficit.

• Like 1

Utah State has  a lot of size and is bigger and stronger at every position.   You are right eagle 88, in that they are similar to St. Mary's .  The Aggies are a better scoring team (average 87) but not as good on defense (71 per game) then St. Mary's.  ORU will probaly have a hard time stopping Utah State and rebounding the ball.  The usual, right.

Utah State is undefeated and very very good especially at home....didn't ORU play them in one of those ESPN mid major games about a decade ago?....i think they beat us then.....and they will beat us now.....might not be pretty if the Good Guys don't take care of the ball...play a little D and make some shots....of course, maybe the Big Guy Vanover can block 14 or 15 shots....still might not be enough.....😬

42 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Utah State is undefeated and very very good especially at home....didn't ORU play them in one of those ESPN mid major games about a decade ago?....i think they beat us then.....and they will beat us now.....might not be pretty if the Good Guys don't take care of the ball...play a little D and make some shots....of course, maybe the Big Guy Vanover can block 14 or 15 shots....still might not be enough.....😬

It was the 07-08 season. It was over by halftime. They were led by Jaycee Carrol. He could flat out shoot it. Utah St. played good/fundamental basketball and were well coached. 

1 hour ago, Mr_TwoFive said:

It was the 07-08 season. It was over by halftime. They were led by Jaycee Carrol. He could flat out shoot it. Utah St. played good/fundamental basketball and were well coached. 

With all due respect to Scott Sutton, USU head coach Stew Morrill owned him.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Old Titan said:

With all due respect to Scott Sutton, USU head coach Stew Morrill owned him.

If I remember correctly, they were a big/tough team. They ran a ton of good sets. I want to say that game was right after Christmas and it showed. I believe we beat OSU right before the break. Probably should have been closer than it ended up being. 

ORU fell to Utah State four times in just three years during the Jaycee Carroll era; including the BracketBuster game 

utah state series record.jpeg

Well......looks like ORU owes USU then......but TheEagleman is guessing we will likely be 0-5 after tomorrow night.....Good Guys really need to play a lot better in order to compete.....:shield-logo:  vs. Image result for Utah State Logo

Here are today's rankings from 3 websites:

sagarin.com - ORU 107, Utah State 58

kenpom.com - ORU 104, Utah State 48

team rankings.com (RPI)- ORU 32, Utah State 5.  Huston's RPI is 27, so by ranking a team based upon its wins and losses and its strength of schedule, you can get some strange numbers.

9 minutes ago, Dave Connor said:

Here are today's rankings from 3 websites:

sagarin.com - ORU 107, Utah State 58

kenpom.com - ORU 104, Utah State 48

team rankings.com (RPI)- ORU 32, Utah State 5.  Huston's RPI is 27, so by ranking a team based upon its wins and losses and its strength of schedule, you can get some strange numbers.

I didn't even know RPI rankings were still "a thing"; I thought the NCAA "NET" power rankings had replaced them (and NET rankings aren't available yet this season).

17 hours ago, Mr_TwoFive said:

The Bracket Buster game was at the Mabee Center. It was a "White Out" game and there was a LEGIT 9,000 people in the building that day. A wide shot picture from that game hangs on the Mabee Center wall by the athletic office and that picture has been used for 15 years to show what the Mabee Center looks like with a full house, on countless marketing materials.

Also, that game was NOT "over by halftime". ORU came out ON FIRE and even Caleb Green was draining 3's. ORU got out to (something like) an 20-3 lead and the place was going absolutely BONKERS (second loudest I've ever heard Mabee). USU called at least two very early timeouts to stem tide. They finally did and clawed back into it by halftime. Then, methodically walked us down in the second half to win by 5-6 points. The game was very much in doubt with 2-3 minutes left to play.

52 minutes ago, oruvoice said:

The Bracket Buster game was at the Mabee Center. It was a "White Out" game and there was a LEGIT 9,000 people in the building that day. A wide shot picture from that game hangs on the Mabee Center wall by the athletic office and that picture has been used for 15 years to show what the Mabee Center looks like with a full house, on countless marketing materials.

Also, that game was NOT "over by halftime". ORU came out ON FIRE and even Caleb Green was draining 3's. ORU got out to (something like) an 20-3 lead and the place was going absolutely BONKERS (second loudest I've ever heard Mabee). USU called at least two very early timeouts to stem tide. They finally did and clawed back into it by halftime. Then, methodically walked us down in the second half to win by 5-6 points. The game was very much in doubt with 2-3 minutes left to play.

That's how I remembered it as well.  It was a tough, disappointing loss... 

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

Perfect description of the game, voice. I remember it well. I remember ORU getting out to a 17 point lead, as you said, before Utah State began to stem the tide.  The whiteout was EPIC!!  So was the man at the mic. One of the more heartbreaking losses at Mabee that I can remember. 

Utah State seems to be an old, experienced squad. This is going to be tough, but I think the experience against Saint Mary’s should help ORU here. We can’t get down early like we did at Saint Mary’s though. 

Utah St. is a very good team that will be very difficult to beat at their place. They are well coached, 4-0 so far this season, they are shooting 48.4% from the field, 43.7 from the 3-point line and out rebounding their opponents by 9 per game. In their last game they had 3 guys with 20 or more points, so it's hard to key on one guy. 

Our scouting report keys to the game remain unchanged, we have to play tough D, box out strong & rebound, take good shots and not turn the ball over. I'd like to see our rotation changed a bit, but that's unlikely.  Go Eagles!